Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kingston
Do you have a headspace comparator? What does the headspace dimension measure?

new brass Vs. sized new brass Vs. fired brass

When sizing the new brass to chamber, what dimension(s) are changing? Just HS?

I don’t have a headspace comparator, just an ogive one. Trying to keep things simple. I’m kinda new at reloading but have not had these problems with a couple other rifles before.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 08/06/19.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I wouldn’t worry about shooting factory ammo, so long as it chambers.

You shouldn’t have to resize brass to chamber if it’s to spec. If the chamber is so tight that you can’t chamber factory ammo and/or new brass, ammo and brass that’s within SAAMI spec, I’d be fixing the chamber.

Did you verify throat jump—just to be sure you’re not headspacing off the bullet. Is the chamber and throat clear of chips/debris? Do you have a borescope?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You might be able to use your bullet comparator to compare HS dimensions on your brass, if you have the .416 insert.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
You might be able to use your bullet comparator to compare HS dimensions on your brass, if you have the .416 insert.

I don’t. .358 is biggest I’ve got.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I wouldn’t worry about shooting factory ammo, so long as it chambers.

You shouldn’t have to resize brass to chamber if it’s to spec. If the chamber is so tight that you can’t chamber factory ammo and/or new brass, ammo and brass that’s within SAAMI spec, I’d be fixing the chamber.

Did you verify throat jump—just to be sure you’re not headspacing off the bullet. Is the chamber and throat clear of chips/debris? Do you have a borescope?

Yeah, there’s lots of throat. These loads were all .080”+ out. PacNor said they have an inspection process before shipping so I’d assume they scoped it.

I’ll get some new brass and some factory ammo and see if it chambers.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 08/06/19.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Look in the chamber real good with a flashlight and see if you’ve got a stray chip or bit of swarf swaged in there.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Look in the chamber real good with a flashlight and see if you’ve got a stray chip or bit of swarf swaged in there.

I did that, and cleaned and dried it well. Appears all clear. Nothing obvious.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SDHUNTER,

No pressure (even "light finger pressure") should be needed to slide bullets into fired necks.

Ok I dug out some more fired brass. Ttsx and gmx drop right in. The LRX seems to sometimes catch a bit on the cannelure rings but a light tap or shake and they drop.

No problem there, remember that neck has contracted after it released the bullet, from the sound of what you are say it is a nice neat chamber as one should expect in a custom barrel
You really need to do your load workup in conjunction with a good chronograph, the magnetospeed has worked really well for me

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
sdhuntr...I have a Forster case trimmer..I`m sure you have a simular tool, in which I can place a carbide cutting tool which is about 2 thous over bullet dia. What that does is uniform the necks on cases of various manufacture that may be a bit thick. So a bullet can be inserted into a fired case with no pressure at all. Whoever manufactures your trimmer should offer them. Get one.

I think you may be assuming your handloaded ammo is lacking in velocity, cause if I understand you, you can`t test this yet? Don`t jump to conclusions till your sure. All my PN barrels gave me the vels I wanted, below listed max in the books.

Your rifle is new....work with it till you understand what it`s telling you.

I would say yes..PN`s QC is SOP.

Good luck

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SDHUNTER,

No pressure (even "light finger pressure") should be needed to slide bullets into fired necks.

Just a thought, don't know if it applies to sdhunter - I've seen fired cases sometimes that look like they have a little bit of crimp; i.e. the case mouth is tighter than the rest of the neck. That happens when case length is slightly long for the chamber, and it can raise pressure a bit.

I've also encountered a chamber or two that had shorter necks than standard spec, so cases trimmed to spec could still end up being too long. That can be hard to identify if you don't know to look for it.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/07/19.
IC B3

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well the saga continues. Drove 30 miles out of town to the only decent gun shop around. Bought a new box of Lapua brass. Same thing, it won’t chamber. Bought a box of Barnes factory ammo. Guess what, it won’t chamber either. Man I was really hoping I just got a batch of bad brass at first. Now I’m really pissed! Now I have to take the scope off and ship back up there. Then sight in all over again! Arrghhh!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yondering,

Have seen that as well, in fact my custom 6.5 SPC needs to have cases trimmed slightly shorter than SAAMI specs or there's some tightness inserting bullets into fired necks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don`t think anyone asked, did PN do the barrel job for you, install, or a local smith?

Either way, they should stand behind the work done.

That sucks..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Now I have to take the scope off and ship back up there.

Although a PIA in the short term, this is the right move.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm finding this thread to be very interesting. I have a custom rifle based on an FN commercial Mauser chambered to the 7x57 that has a very tight chamber. Like the OP, I get high pressure signs before reaching maximum published data. I haven't been able to set my chronograph up since the range changed the rules so I have no idea what the velocity is. Now that we're getting our summer thunderstorms on a fairly regular basis the range is a bit of a mud hole anyway with all the eater running into the 100 yard line and backing up to the berm.

To give an idea of what's happening, I loaded up some 170 gr. Sierra round nose bullets to duplicate the original 1893 load and then shot them over the chronograph. The Ruger #1A did 2310 FPS, the M70 FWT a bit faster at 2320 FPS and the custom Mauser 2450 FPS. I talked with my gunsmith and asked if he'd done a shorter than the usual throat and he said it had the long throat suited to 175 gr. round nose bullets. Twist is 1 in 8.5" BTW. Dunno for sure what the Ruger and Winchester have for barrel twist rates.

Guess I'll have to check if the bullet slides easily into the case next time out.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I'm finding this thread to be very interesting. I have a custom rifle based on an FN commercial Mauser chambered to the 7x57 that has a very tight chamber. Like the OP, I get high pressure signs before reaching maximum published data. I haven't been able to set my chronograph up since the range changed the rules so I have no idea what the velocity is. Now that we're getting our summer thunderstorms on a fairly regular basis the range is a bit of a mud hole anyway with all the eater running into the 100 yard line and backing up to the berm.

To give an idea of what's happening, I loaded up some 170 gr. Sierra round nose bullets to duplicate the original 1893 load and then shot them over the chronograph. The Ruger #1A did 2310 FPS, the M70 FWT a bit faster at 2320 FPS and the custom Mauser 2450 FPS. I talked with my gunsmith and asked if he'd done a shorter than the usual throat and he said it had the long throat suited to 175 gr. round nose bullets. Twist is 1 in 8.5" BTW. Dunno for sure what the Ruger and Winchester have for barrel twist rates.

Guess I'll have to check if the bullet slides easily into the case next time out.
Paul B.

Will it chamber new brass without resizing?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
take that rifle back to the gunsmith and all your different ammo, i bet the no go and go gauges don`t work either. sounds to me that gunsmith did a very poor job of machining that chamber on that barrel.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

I understand starting light, I did that too. But got stopped short of max. Should I be spooked to shoot factory ammo? To follow my logic, Barnes 120 ttsx and H4350 max load on their data sheet is 2853fps, and I can’t reach it without pressure signs. Yet their Vortx factory ammo with the same bullet is published at 2950fps! See why I’m spooked?

So you are evidently saying that PacNor builds em tight as SOP? I assume for accuracy and I am getting good accuracy. Do I need to just resign myself to shooting anemic loads? Anything else I should try?

Yes, a chronograph. You do not know that your loads are anemic until you measure actual velocity.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All smiths I`ve had work done barreling a rifle, produced at least three fired cases for me after test firing the gun. You should have gotten the same.

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
All smiths I`ve had work done barreling a rifle, produced at least three fired cases for me after test firing the gun. You should have gotten the same.

That didn’t happen in my case. It’s frustrating, and an inconvenience to have to ship back, But we are all human beings. [bleep] happens. Pac nor has assured me they will make it right. I’m going to give them that opportunity before I badmouth them. Fingers crossed.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,703
Posts18,494,295
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.