Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by slumlord
It was my first day on the job working at the johns manville asbestos dust factory. I lied about my age to get a job so we could buy a color tv.

What did a color TV set cost in 1945?

Being able to watch that Technicolor mushroom cloud live on CNN, priceless.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Remember the Bataan Death March to comprehend the brutal mindset of Japanese soldiers. The atomic bombs ended the War; thank you Harry Truman!

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
As one Japanese General said after the war.
“If had it we would have used it......on you”

Nice thread. No stupid stories about all the airmen dying young.

Just south of where I work a HS teacher was droning on ablout how they all died young.

Kid raises his hand and says he’ll have to tell his father when he gets home that he’s dead.

A Buddy’ Brother was one of the Navigators on Bochscar. Didn’t fly the raid.
But they had the reunions at his house.
One man saw Trinity and the two Japanese drops. The only guy.
One guy at least was on board the bomber with the goods on both runs.

I send Arnold a thank you every year on the 9th.

The Norden Bomb aight cost 1/2 what the Manhattan project cost without near the results.

$3,000,000,000 well spent.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Passed Trinity sight Sunday afternoon on way home from New Mexico gathering.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a kid back in the '50's I recall hearing my parents generation saying that Truman saved countless American lives with those two bombs. If the war had dragged on until we invaded Japan we would have lost an awful lot of troops. One of my late Uncles was a young Marine in the Pacific Theater. IIRC he got to there in early 1945 and the war was over 6 or 8 months later. If the war had dragged on longer he could very well have been one of many casualties.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
The idea is to make it bad enough, fast enough that your enemy quits. We did. And saved millions of lives.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 22250rem
As a kid back in the '50's I recall hearing my parents generation saying that Truman saved countless American lives with those two bombs. If the war had dragged on until we invaded Japan we would have lost an awful lot of troops. One of my late Uncles was a young Marine in the Pacific Theater. IIRC he got to there in early 1945 and the war was over 6 or 8 months later. If the war had dragged on longer he could very well have been one of many casualties.

It saved MILLIONS of American Soldiers life’s!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
BOOM!

We should do it again, just to keep the cretins in order.

Yep. Time to light up some Muslim Country’s.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't condemn the use of these bombs as they were at the time, but there were other reasons to use them as well as avoiding invading mainland Japan.

Nuclear leverage over the Russians and other governments was one of them. Also, there were two different nuclear type bombs used, so in fact these two cities were "test" sites.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have no sympathy for the enemy. They attacked us first and we did what we needed to do to end the war. Far too many Americans and Allied boys died in that war.

My sympathies lie with our treatment of our own citizens, putting them in internment camps and ruining their lives for something they had nothing to do with. Many of those young men later in the war got to prove their allegiance in battle and PROVE it they did. That should never have happened under our Constitution.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 22250rem

The program was Secret. So the planned as if we were going to invade.
As of the early 2000s we were still using the Purple Hearts they had made up then.

It’s Purple Heart Day....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I don't condemn the use of these bombs as they were at the time, but there were other reasons to use them as well as avoiding invading mainland Japan.

Nuclear leverage over the Russians and other governments was one of them. Also, there were two different nuclear type bombs used, so in fact these two cities were "test" sites.

We had already tested the implosion type......Trinity.

There just wasn’t enough for Gun Assembly type for more than one shot. Hiroshima.....

We had a core for another plutonium Implosion ready. That core killed 2 people thru arrogance and stupidity

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C

I once knew a veteran of the ROK Army who would smile and chuckle every time it came up in conversation.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,697
Posts18,494,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.