Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yeah long story. The wife hadn't spoken to him since she was 14. She wanted to pay up to $350, I would've paid a helluva lot more but wound up getting it for $485. Brought it home, and she and I spent a couple nights stripping the camo paint off the entire thing and staining/clearing the stock. Looks very presentable now. Amazing how well spray paint preserves blueing!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One of my most favorite cartridges for whitetails and varmints.
Mine is an old Rem 700 Varnmint Special’s from the early 80’s with the heavy barrel and the BDL wood stock

One of the most accurate rifles I own with 55 gr ballistics tips for varmints and 85 gr Sierras for deer and antelope. And one of the last rifles I’d ever sale.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6mm Remington is an outstanding cartridge. It was saddled with the wrong twist when first brought out as the 244. The public wanted a dual purpose round like the 243., but Remington twisted it as a straight varminter. Twist was changed when renamed 6mm.

6mm should easily beat the 243 by 100 fps. Too bad it wasn't supported properly, I think it is better than the 243.

Now days I just wish Kimber chambered the 6mm Creedmoor.

Last edited by AB2506; 08/07/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the 6mm. Around the Dallas gun shows you usually but not always pay a premium for one.

I think the advantages to a 243 are very slight and probably aren't worth it to the average shooter which explains why it is rarely encountered in any rifles made since the 1980s.

I have my Dads old 4 digit 6mm Ruger No 1 that I need to send back to Ruger for some work and a new stock. It has salt wood and has severe rusting under the wood and the trigger group. That rifle is a great shooter for a No, 1.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I prefer the 6mm Rem over the 243.. when the 6mm Rem is on a long action....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by JamesJr
For the past few months, I've been checking out some of the area pawn shops looking primarily for older model Remington 700's, and Wingmaster's in 20 gauge, as well as older lever guns. I've been somewhat disappointed in that I've not found much.

I have seen exactly 3 older model 700's, all in 6mm Remington chambering. I thought the 6mm Rem was not a very popular cartridge, and have found it hard to believe that I've not seen any other chamberings but that one. I would have thought that the 30-06, 270, 7mm Magnum, as well as a 22-250 or 243 would have turned up before a 6mm.

Could it be that because they weren't popular, or that ammo is hard to find now, is the reason they've been pawned? I know it can't be because they made more of them in 6mm than any other caliber, and that's why I'm seeing them.

By the way, I haven't bought one yet. One was pitted with rust very bad, one was an ADL, and the other a heavy barrel model that was way overpriced.

How much was the heavy barrel varmint special?

$950. The wood was okay, the metal had some rust spots, and it had a $25 Bushnell scope on it.

I didn't make an offer, because I really wasn't interested, so don't know how low they would have gone.

Personally, I wouldn't have paid over $500, and then only if it I'd been wanting one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
For the past few months, I've been checking out some of the area pawn shops looking primarily for older model Remington 700's, and Wingmaster's in 20 gauge, as well as older lever guns. I've been somewhat disappointed in that I've not found much.

I have seen exactly 3 older model 700's, all in 6mm Remington chambering. I thought the 6mm Rem was not a very popular cartridge, and have found it hard to believe that I've not seen any other chamberings but that one. I would have thought that the 30-06, 270, 7mm Magnum, as well as a 22-250 or 243 would have turned up before a 6mm.

Could it be that because they weren't popular, or that ammo is hard to find now, is the reason they've been pawned? I know it can't be because they made more of them in 6mm than any other caliber, and that's why I'm seeing them.

By the way, I haven't bought one yet. One was pitted with rust very bad, one was an ADL, and the other a heavy barrel model that was way overpriced.

How much was the heavy barrel varmint special?

$950. The wood was okay, the metal had some rust spots, and it had a $25 Bushnell scope on it.

I didn't make an offer, because I really wasn't interested, so don't know how low they would have gone.

Personally, I wouldn't have paid over $500, and then only if it I'd been wanting one.

They're pricing that rifle like it is in mint condition.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Owned one in an M77, loved it and always regret getting rid of it.

Seen a few lately, an old model 7 in one and 788 at local pawn shops.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
gunsgizard: Your feeble attempts to intimidate me via "P/M" has utterly failed!
When you make idiotic statements in your posts or in "P/M's" you can expect to be called out for it.
And I am just the one to do so!
I stick by my contention (posting!) that if you are suggesting no one frequent "pawn shops" that you and that statement are both idiotic.
In fact I plan on visiting several pawn shops tomorrow (August 9th!) on my way to the Livingston, Montana gunshow.
I'll let you know, gunsgizard, how I do at those several pawn shops.
Sincerely
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Hahaha!

You guys better get to class. Really make reliving your High School experience an authentic one.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those old heavy barreled 6mm are nice, but that seems pretty steep.

I built a 6mm. Started with a 700 in 308 sold everything but the action and trigger. Bought a 40x mcmillian off ebay, it's a standard style stock. It was some wild 3 color molded scheme so was pretty cheap. I sent it back to mcmillian to have them paint it. Had mark penrod put on a shilen barrel #5 that I had bought for a song, put on a williams? trigger bow, we made room in the stock for a magazine(adl style) put dual dove tail mounts and a leupold 3-9. It is a coyote killing rascal. Killed a wolf too and other varmints. Mostly shoot 70 BTs.

Love the 6mm rem.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
JamesJr.: The local pawn sport shop has just soldt the Remington 700 ADLin 6m/m Remington.
I am heading for the Livingston, Montana gunshow tomorrow (August 9th) and will be hitting several pawn and sport shops along the way - if I run into something I think you will be interested in I will get a phone number for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by EMoore
My wife's "dad" had an adl 6mm that we bought at his estate sale. It's a great shooter that she's killed several deer with, once we cleaned all the spray can camo off of it....

You had to buy something from your wife's deceased dad or "dad"??

Strange, must be a trend

A guy I knew lived with his grandmother most of his youth and early adult life, when she passed, the family had an estate sale. He wanted a cherry end table. His dad made him pay the f aggot estale sale operator $650.

It was walk thru tag sale

I couldve kicked him up the ass, I really should have for not sacking and telling his dad to GFY. And just take the table out to his truck.

There was also some unopened Star Wars action figures from the late 70s. Belonged to him, his dad was selling those too.

hahaha

Dude isn't even on my contact list anymore.

Don't know about TN, but I've been an executor of one estate in PA, and am getting ready to do another one in MD, and in both cases whatever's in the house belongs to the estate and has to be assessed and taxed, even if bequeathed. I bought a couple things from my mother's household goods, and have just finished up clearing the Personal Memorandum attached to my father's will so the tax man won't take a cut, at the direction of his attorney BTW. If you play fast and loose with this stuff you can get your ass in a sling, especially if there are multiple beneficiaries that may not see eye to eye. With a little luck, when my father passes all that will remain is cash, easy to divvy up.

What fresh Hell is this?
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
JamesJr.: The local pawn sport shop has just soldt the Remington 700 ADLin 6m/m Remington.
I am heading for the Livingston, Montana gunshow tomorrow (August 9th) and will be hitting several pawn and sport shops along the way - if I run into something I think you will be interested in I will get a phone number for you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG, I appreciate the offer, but I don't buy guns sight unseen. Just a rule I have that I try to follow, mostly to keep me from buying something I don't need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't currently own a 6mm but I have a nice little 722 chambered in .244. It's the gun I borrow to deserving youth for deer hunting. Straight 4x scope and as simple as they come. Small and light package for the utes. I kerplunked plenty of deer with it myself.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Remington Model 7 - 6mm in a McMillan Kevlar stock.

[Linked Image]

Custom Model 70 Winchester style safety added:

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe some tang safety Ruger M77s were made in 6mm. I wouldn't be afraid to pick one up.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
6mm are gay.

Im putting one together now. It should be like a drag show.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In 2011 Remington ran the 700 CDL 6mm stainless fluted for about 750.oo ish, I bought one, i put talleys on it with a conquest 3-9x40 - I have not fired it yet, got the dies to reload too, just haven’t had time

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.