Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, was that a one, or two-mile hike? And what were you using for bait in the feeder??

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think he went 2 miles and is using grasshoppers for bait.

OH by the way my long range rifle weighs 13 lbs. 338 lapau all custom and with a 8-32x56 nightforce scope,including ammo , bi-pod too,and this rifle can get the job done.rifle was built by a machinist who builds rifles that have won 1000 yard national titles and also does custom work for a ammo company too,he`s one of the best !

Last edited by pete53; 08/01/18.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53

OH by the way my long range rifle weighs 13 lbs. 338 lapau all custom and with a 8-32x56 nightforce scope,including ammo , bi-pod too,and this rifle can get the job done.rifle was built by a machinist who builds rifles that have won 1000 yard national titles and also does custom work for a ammo company too,he`s one of the best !

Sweet!!

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A

Willing to share his name?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
he`s one of the best !

And we've come to expect no less from you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

here`s the number of a machinist who does some excellent work when he re-barrels a rifle,some of the top benchrest shooter`s like his work. 320-272-4897 Greg Walstrom

If it's Greg, I'll vouch for him all day long......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

here`s the number of a machinist who does some excellent work when he re-barrels a rifle,some of the top benchrest shooter`s like his work. 320-272-4897 Greg Walstrom

If it's Greg, I'll vouch for him all day long......

yes it was Greg Walstrom > straight line machine< 320 -272-4897 Jerry Simonson when this great benchrest barrel machinist was alive showed Greg a few tricks too !

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Paul4
Thank you for all of the replies and opinions. I’m going to look into several of them. My local range does go past 1000 yrds but I’m only comfortable to 600 yards now. I’ve spent a lot of money on the proper equipment and now want to learn to use it to its full potential. I didn’t draw any tags and decided I would like to put some of the time and money I saved towards a class to improve and learn to use the equipment.

So you'r comfortable to 600 yards.
And your range goes to 1000.
You've got the guns and scopes.
Have you ever considered just putting up a target at 1000 yds, add more clicks on the scope, and just shoot?
If you feel you need help, ask a friend to spot hits for you.
Put some clay birds on the dirt near the target and zero in on those first. Actually they can be more fun anyway.
After about 3 trips to the range you will be ready to offer lessons. lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yes it was Greg Walstrom > straight line machine< 320 -272-4897 Jerry Simison when this great benchrest barrel machinist was alive showed Greg a few tricks too !

I used to shoot with Jerry back in the day. He did most of my work when he was alive. I am currently shooting a Dasher barrel he chambered, and still have one of the last ones he ever did waiting in the wings.

Greg was a machinist first, and Jerry taught him the ins and outs of chambering barrels.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Greg already knew how chamber rifles, but Jerry had some secret accuracy solutions that only Greg got to learn from Jerry because they got to be good friends.Greg is not your standard machinist guy, you would have to go to his one man shop and see his work to understand his ability. Greg has done a lot of medical proto type stuff for engineers in the medical field too ,many machinist who shoot rifles have Greg do the barrel work for them also,that`s how good he is as a machinist. actually I introduced Greg to Jerry I was lucky I got to know Jerry when we shot 100-200 yard matches and Jerry was a super guy to be around.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by yobuck
Thank you for all of the replies and opinions. I’m going to look into several of them. My local range does go past 1000 yrds but I’m only comfortable to 600 yards now. I’ve spent a lot of money on the proper equipment and now want to learn to use it to its full potential. I didn’t draw any tags and decided I would like to put some of the time and money I saved towards a class to improve and learn to use the equipment.

Have you ever considered just putting up a target at 1000 yds, add more clicks on the scope, and just shoot?
Put some clay birds on the dirt near the target and zero in on those first. Actually they can be more fun anyway.

yes what this gentleman posted is a great ideal ,myself I have always enjoyed those clay targets at 1000 yds ! good post ! Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 08/02/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche

> yes I understand you boys drive or ride to your baited stands in Texas and sure its easy to carry a big heavy rifle up a stair case and use this rifle at 1000 yards too in the desert country of Texas also. well I live in northern Minnesota we don`t have many places to shoot 1000 yards, nor do we have the heat or wind that Texas has we have cold and snow which produces much bigger deer ,we also have to hike to our cold stands in thick woods,many times many of us hike over a mile or two, so we generally use different caliber/cartridges ,lighter rifles when we hunt deer than what heavier rifles we use for competition.i use a 257 Weatherby Mag. for deer but for competition I use a 6 B.R. a lot for competition.>>> maybe you should quit shooting deer on baited stands and learn to hike and hunt deer like a real hunter does ?

Or you could just not worry about an extra 5-10 pounds on your 1-2 mile hike to your deer stand. smile

Really didn't mind the extra 10 pounds hauling the 15 pounder to the old "deer" stand here or anywhere else this fall. For true backpack based hunts where I live with everything on my back then sure a 6-8 pound rifle is nicer, but I don't get too wrapped around the handle for rifle weight anymore, especially for day hunts.

[Linked Image]

Awesome picture! I thought my hunting environment was an ass kicker...Not even close. Humbling, actually. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yobuck

Hiviz clays are a lot of fun and way lighter than hauling out steel. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Come here...and I'll teach ya for just a good ribeye steak and a couple Flying Tiger Amber beers!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=pete53]

So you are suggesting not practicing with what you would hunt with or at the least a round thats identical in wind drift? That would be the worst advice I"ve ever seen on this forum I do believe.

By what some of us choose to shoot, competition wise, you can learn wind, but its not the best and not relative to your hunting rifle.

If I wanted to learn and wasn't interested in competition, I'd shoot my hunting rifle. Period. Learn it. Rebarrel it as often as needed.

Sometimes I think you should be savage53 not Pete 53

> yes I understand you boys drive or ride to your baited stands in Texas and sure its easy to carry a big heavy rifle up a stair case and use this rifle at 1000 yards too in the desert country of Texas also. well I live in northern Minnesota we don`t have many places to shoot 1000 yards, nor do we have the heat or wind that Texas has we have cold and snow which produces much bigger deer ,we also have to hike to our cold stands in thick woods,many times many of us hike over a mile or two, so we generally use different caliber/cartridges ,lighter rifles when we hunt deer than what heavier rifles we use for competition.i use a 257 Weatherby Mag. for deer but for competition I use a 6 B.R. a lot for competition.>>> maybe you should quit shooting deer on baited stands and learn to hike and hunt deer like a real hunter does ?

A 'real hunter'! Dude....at 78 years age I got more time wiping my a rse in the woods than you'll ever spend hunting! Your story is akin to "yeah...when I was little I had to walk ten miles to school through a snow storm every morning"! More BS!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I must admit, I am a drop-out. But I did stay at Holiday Inn.

Right.

I taught myself.

I did pass.

I'm going to be in trouble now.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Originally Posted by rost495
[quote=pete53]

So you are suggesting not practicing with what you would hunt with or at the least a round thats identical in wind drift? That would be the worst advice I"ve ever seen on this forum I do believe.

By what some of us choose to shoot, competition wise, you can learn wind, but its not the best and not relative to your hunting rifle.

If I wanted to learn and wasn't interested in competition, I'd shoot my hunting rifle. Period. Learn it. Rebarrel it as often as needed.

Sometimes I think you should be savage53 not Pete 53

A 'real hunter'! Dude....at 78 years age I got more time wiping my a rse in the woods than you'll ever spend hunting! Your story is akin to "yeah...when I was little I had to walk ten miles to school through a snow storm every morning"! More BS!

yep thats funny ! keep wipe`n your butt.

Last edited by pete53; 10/10/18.

P
Paul4 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Update; I had to postpone the class last year as a bison hunt came available and I did that instead. I just completed the level 1 class at the nra Whittington center and had a great time and learned a lot. I was comfortable shooting to 600 yards and had hunting experience to 585 prior to class. I left class comfortably and consistently shooting 1200 yards. No I will not take shots at that distance at game as I quickly learned that variables change quickly that will affect results at that distance and I have a lot to practice in reading wind and affect of changing weather. The class was 3 days with day 1 being classroom and range time days 2 and 3. There are 3 levels of this course then masters classes if someone really wanted to do extreme long range. The same instructor does all of the classes and was very helpful and able to adjust to skill level of all shooters in the class of 10. The range goes to 2 miles and is the location of the king of 2 miles event. We were limited to 1200 yards but day 3 were able to stretch to the other targets if able. The goal ( expectation) was to maintain 1 moa at all targets engaged and for me 1200 yards was my limit. Getting lucky and lobbying a round at at the Target was not satisfactory you had to have 3 consecutive hits within the 1 moa expectation to move on. Range went from 100 yards on out. Overall I enjoyed the class and learned how to use my equipment as well as learned the limitations of myself and my equipment ie a light weight hunting rifle is not an ideal long range tool.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Most important lesson..learning when NOT to shoot.

Sounds like you have a place to practice what you`ve learned...do that as much as you can.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wolf Precision Shooting school in Somerset Pa. Jamie Dodson runs a great course. He now supplies all the rifles and ammo, suppressed 6.5 Creeds built by him and Kahles scopes.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,307
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.