Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
👍🏻

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Disappointed to hear that caribou season in Alaska has turn into the Pa. deer hunting season, where you can't even find a place to hunt.

Last time I hunted caribou (2003) in Manitoba there were 200 permits available for the 400,000 Central Barren Ground Caribou herd.

Soon there won't be anyplace or any corner of the earth to go that you don't have to fight with another hunter for game. Glad I won't be here to see it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
My son, Josh, his friend, Kevin, and I ended up hunting from the Mt Prindle campground off the Steese. The day before we investigated 12 Mile Summit but it was an absolute zoo. Probably close to 100 vehicles with ATVs there. With us being backpack only, there was just no way we were going to be able to compete, so went back to the Mt. Prindle campground, which was no ATV access. Opening morning we climbed up and hunted the basin south of the campground. It was pretty busy, apparently pushing out most of the Caribou out of the basin. But by about 2 PM, they started filtering back in. Kevin made the first kill, a small bull. While we were dressing and quartering his bull, another small herd came in from the northeast containing a couple of ok bulls. Josh and I started across the basin to try and intercept them. Josh actually ran across the last 1/2 mile to get in position. Things worked out and Josh shot the largest bull. The rest of the heard circled around behind me and I was able to take the next best bull. Then the work started...

1st Caribou hunt and I enjoyed it immensely. The immensity and grandeur of that country cannot be overstated. Simply magnificent.

Josh and his bull.

[Linked Image]

Me and my bull.

[Linked Image]

That’s awesome!!! Congratulations!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Hondo, glad you had a good time and were able to find some bulls. Pics look like a good time!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy
Disappointed to hear that caribou season in Alaska has turn into the Pa. deer hunting season, where you can't even find a place to hunt.

Last time I hunted caribou (2003) in Manitoba there were 200 permits available for the 400,000 Central Barren Ground Caribou herd.

Soon there won't be anyplace or any corner of the earth to go that you don't have to fight with another hunter for game. Glad I won't be here to see it.

Alaska still has some great caribou hunting that is a remote, wilderness experience but when you have a major herd with road access and proximity to a human population center, it gets crazy.

This Schitt Show is brief but popular also because the kids have an opportunity to hunt before school starts.

I did hear of one firearm accident but haven't heard further details.

IC B2

L
las Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
wife took most of our pics on her iphone, which we can't get to transfer to mine or my computer.nWhen I get time, I'll post a couple using her computer, but here are some off mine.

Thatthing in the lower right is our 5 month (on 13th) Dachshund pup, humping along in his too-big warm up coat, which belonged to his predecessor who left us about 12 years ago. Looked lke a skunk- funny as hell! smile

Approaching my kill.

[Linked Image]

mine

[Linked Image]

hers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by las; 08/19/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Hudge
So, after Monday, she I hope my firm offer comes in this week, as she won't be interviewing for at least another week. Fingers crossed though.

Word on the street they are going to offer you $9.99 an hour and 2 15 minute coffee breaks.

That's just my luck. Actually still no firm offer, but AF civilian HR called me Friday and asked me what day I wanted to start, they gave me three and I took the earliest. Tired of hearing the wife saying I'm spending too much money.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Nice bulls Hondo and las.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My son and his buddy are pack rafting the Middle Fork huntin' for 'bou right now.

Nothing on the ground yet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sounds like western Washington rifle elk season...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Sounds like western Washington rifle elk season...

Oh it’s a big goat ph uck most of us don’t want to be part of.. they send a truckload or troopers up there to ensure those idiots don’t kill each other..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Maybe they should make it archery/muzzleloader only?? I Dunno what’s the big deal about 50 lbs of caribou meat mean when you make more $$ than most, and most folks biitch about caribou meat anyways?? Guess I’m confused?? Btw, I like caribou meat..

Last edited by Judman; 08/19/19.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe they should make it archery/muzzleloader only?? I Dunno what’s the big deal about 50 lbs of caribou meat mean when you make more $$ than most, and most folks biitch about caribou meat anyways?? Guess I’m confused?? Btw, I like caribou meat..

Man we need 2 cases of beer and all night night to explain the thought process by fish and game. But I will give you the 2 beer version, up until last year the Steese hwy was off limits except for a youth hunt. Last spring/summer fish and game did survey of the herd it’s was at 70k plus way over carrying capacity. If I remember 50k is there goal. So last yr they moved the opener to August 12 and let the slaughter commence. This year it wasn’t as bad as last year. Far as archery good luck one would have to write a proposal present it to the unit 20 advisory committee. Then if they support it. it goes before the board of game for approval or disapproval. I will tell you now it would fail. I agree caribou is pretty good eating. I love Alaska but we have to many user groups fighting amongst themselves. I also detest anchorage I’m not a fan, so can’t blame you for having a bad taste in your mouth about ak after experiencing anchorage.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not a bad taste at all, just trying to figure out a solution.... As a non resident that loves to hunt, it doesn't sound attractive at all.... It's good, guess folks will be lined up to "hunt"...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

For sure on the money and stuff here is so cheap, we are WAY ahead of the game getting all this pay and cheap food, fuel, housing, power, water etc.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

For sure on the money and stuff here is so cheap, we are WAY ahead of the game getting all this pay and cheap food, fuel, housing, power, water etc.

He does bring up good point on money and caribou hunting. I/you see the trucks headed North $20k worth of wheelers sometimes a lot more to go get them their caribou if not they are going to starve to death. It only gets worse during moose season, we need about 300k people leave this state lol..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For sure... I laugh when I hear about "Art" talk about "tough" moose hunting, when I had 4 buddies flown in with quads, drive up and shoot 4 moose the next day.... Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know where Art hunts moose, I been in that country few times and that trail is a ph ucking nightmare. To the point I don't even go back there anymore. I broke a transmission in my 6x6 in their one yr, another yr guy hunting with me blew his motor in his 6x6 we are 30 miles back. On the flip side But I know of guys chartering a cargo plane fly there wheelers into farewell burn and whack-'em and stack-'em.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That's what they did, cargo plane, drop quads, killed a day or 2 in.... Moose just stood like dummys , pretty much drive within a couple hundred yards and done..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's all about how much money you want to spend.. been a few times I could of bought half a beef on what I spend to go hunting up here lol..

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.