Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by MILES58

Best = fastest killer in my book, as long as the bullet performs as it is designed. I"m not including rounds to the CNS either.

If you exclude CNS shots You have zero comprehension what fast killing is about and you really need a lot more experience killing deer. As related in several of my posts above, what happens after the shot is as much up to the deer and the context of that deer at the instant it is shot.There is no bullet that is that consistent. The only way around that is gross overkill. Beyond that you are into the realm of angels dancing on pinheads.

Beyond dumb, reaching into pathetic.

I have reduce the lungs to red soup on a lot of deer. I have blown up the heart on a lot of deer, There is no bullet that will predictably turn lungs to red soup that will not function better than another. If it destroys the lungs it's like dead, they can ony get so destroyed. Same with hearts once the heart can no longer deliver blood to the body you don't get any advantage from more wrecked. I can get instant kills on chipmunks with a .223, but blowing up most of the chipmunk violates your no CNS restriction.

I've culled more big game animals than you've every shot at Miles, I think it's rather obvious who the moron is. I know what kills and what doesn't. Carry on though.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

I've culled more big game animals than you've every shot at Miles, I think it's rather obvious who the moron is. I know what kills and what doesn't. Carry on though.

I am still trying to figure out why anyone doing any kind of culling wouldn't want to consider CNS shots and the only thing that comes to mind Is either lack of shooting skills or BS.

Like I said, the speed with which a bullet kills has to get into the overkill range before it makes a difference unless you have an uncontrolled experiment and do not compare apples to apples. A bullet that provides penetration to do the work from any angle and provides the most reliable penetration in a straight line is the best.

If I have to kill a lot of them day in and day out I am going to shoot CNS and lay they down where they stand and be using a suppressed .223 or .243 with an accurate low power/low noise load. That's an accuracy game with bonus points for not disturbing the next in line and has little to do with a hunting situation.

I think you need experience in more than just rifle work.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by vapodog
Originally Posted by Trystan
So far I've killed three elk and four mule deer with monos ranging from .264, 120 grain a 180 grain from a .30-06 and more elk with a 165 grain .300 H&H. All have been one shot kills.

I've seen no evidence that monos allow one to use a smaller caliber......I stay with the traditional calibers for the game intended...

That said, I do believe that it allows for the use of a bullet of the same length that one would pick using traditional cup and core bullets. This results in a higher velocity using a lighter bullet......example.....use of a 150 grain .30 caliber instead of a 180 grain etc. IMO this gives new life to the .308 Winchester, the .270 Winchester and the .264 Magnum.....(not that any of them are needing new life)

So you've measured on average how far each animal has traveled after the shot like Mule Deer has on hundreds of animals or are you just guessing? I'm not much interested in feelings but factual documentation would be nice. If you have any documentation notes seeing them would be much appreciated. Thanks

Trystan
GFY....AND TAKE YOUR ATTITUDE WITH YOU.

I'll take that as a NO! Lol

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Like everyone else I am just sharing my thoughts which are based on my 54 years of hunting Alaska. I am well aware of the .223 and it's frequent use on Alaska's game animals, especially by rural Alaskan's who live in big game country year around. I don't expect to change anyone's mind just because I don't embrace it for my Alaskan hunting. My wife's cousin used to be married to the dog musher George Attla. She killed several black bears a their Yukon River fish camp and used a .22 rimfire.

When I came to Alaska in 1965 the .270 Win. and 30-06 were the two calibers of choice. There were a few 300 H&H'S and Springfield's converted to .308 Norma and the brown and polar bear hunting guides that I was acquainted with had Mod. 70's in .375 H&H for big bear hunts. I think old Don DeHart had a 7mm Mag. for his interior hunts.

My Dad was the odd man out, as he always used his old Mod. 70 in .264 Win. His load was the 140 grain Partition and a case full of surplus H4831 that he dumped in with and old Lee powder cup. He had used the rifle on his western hunts for 3 years prior and winter fox hunts in Iowa and had complete faith in it, the caliber and load.

Me and three friends went to Montague Island to hunt our little island deer. One friend carried a .35 Whelen, another a .270 and another a .223 Rem. I carried a 30-06 stuffed with 165 grain Partitions. We all killed deer with one shot. We never saw any big bears as it was late November and the salmon runs were over and the berries were mostly gone. As I was hunting I remembered the 9" brown bear hide in my friends dad's house that came from Montague. Old Maynard "Perk" Perkins and Duncan Gilchrist killed the bear at about 20 feet and it took several shots before it stayed down. Perk was shooting his nice old Mauser .308 Norma and 200 grain Partitions and I forget what Duncan had. They were deer hunting and it was late November and neither one of these experienced hunters expected to see any bears out.

If it works out I would like to hunt a Coues deer with the Tikka Superlite 6.5 Creed I bought last year. If I was living in an area with abundant white tails and liberal seasons I am sure a .223 would kill them. In the 50's we lived over by Spirit Lake in Washington State and my Dad was doing shop work for a timber company. He said we were almost broke and he took a couple of the small deer from the kitchen window at about 20 feet with a .22 rim fire.

Like the old ivory hunter Bell proved long ago, shot placement and penetration is where killing power starts. Any way, we all get to choose what we use and have faith in. Good hunting guys!

Great story, couple things, I've got a book by Duncan Gilchrist, great read. Another my grandad retired from Weyerhaeuser, up kid valley below spirit lake, worked for em from the late 50's til early 80's..

Dunc was a friend of mine.....miss him.

How bout bill butler pat?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sometimes I believe the argument is not actually about "what diameter is fastest for killing game"? but more accurately "what amount of time after the hit is satisfactory to drop game"?

As I said earlier, I have been 100% satisfied with the results I have seen from 223s used by hunters on deer and antelope when good bullets were used. All died fast and all fell within short periods of time, some VERY short.
But I am not going to say the effects of a 3" diameter hole through the vitals are no different then one that is 3/4" in diameter. That's just silly.

So objective VS subjective comparison is never going to be settled for everyone.

Is a dump truck more powerful and able to carry a heavier loads then a Honda car? Yes. So ---------------does that make it better for getting groceries on Sunday? I think that is similar to the discussion when a question like "how big and heavy should a big-game bullet be"?

Both pronghorn does and American Bull Bison are classed as big game, as are both impala and elephant. So that is the first issue to draw down on.

Next is the issue I named above, how much time is "OK" for the game to drop after the hit?
None?
2 seconds?
10 seconds?
2 minutes?
30 minutes.

Archers often tell me they are happy with kills that take 3-4 minutes to fall and most any rifle shooter would be appalled if his ammo and gun gave an average of 4 minutes to drop his game.

So I am going to ask "would you want a gun that dropped every elk you ever shot in 1/4 second, no matter where it was hit forward of the guts? Such a weapon does exist, -----but they are hard to get out of Russia and China and hunting with RPGs is not legal anyway. And it will be hard on the meat.

I am happiest when my game falls instantly, but never unhappy when it falls under 5-6 seconds after the shot, ------------- unless it was charging me.

If an average "drop" in 3 seconds is "worse" then an average "drop" in 1/4 second they I'd plead guilty to using a "less then perfect weapon". But I doubt I'd throw it in the trash and go out to buy a 50 BMG necked down to 375 to be sure I can cut my deer nearly in half with every shot.

Somehow I don't see how that is better. In fact, I don't even see it as good.

Last edited by szihn; 08/07/19.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trystan, welcome to my ignore list.....seems you add nothing valuable to this forum.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

I am still trying to figure out why anyone doing any kind of culling wouldn't want to consider CNS shots and the only thing that comes to mind Is either lack of shooting skills or BS.

You either totally missed the intention of the question, or I didn't state it well enough. When I said this......."Best = fastest killer in my book, as long as the bullet performs as it is designed. I"m not including rounds to the CNS either." I was trying to state that when arguing as to what bullet kills the quickest, I do not consider CNS shots because any bullet by virtually any cartridge would immediately knock a deer off it's feet. So don't consider CNS shots when stating which bullet killed the quickest.

I don't know how many deer and aoudad I've culled with CNS/head shots......a few dozen easily. All of the culling I've done gave me a good media to test bullets, and bullets were attempted to be placed in "normal" POI's such as behind the should, through the shoulder, etc. As I said, in my more limited (but almost identical) experiences as Mule Deer, deer/aoudad usually ran farther when hit with monos (the vast majority I used were the original Barnes X) than they did with leaded premiums and C&C's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Trystan, welcome to my ignore list.....seems you add nothing valuable to this forum.

To the contrary I asked a legitimate question and you are the one who had nothing to offer

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like everyone else I am just sharing my thoughts which are based on my 54 years of hunting Alaska. I am well aware of the .223 and it's frequent use on Alaska's game animals, especially by rural Alaskan's who live in big game country year around. I don't expect to change anyone's mind just because I don't embrace it for my Alaskan hunting. My wife's cousin used to be married to the dog musher George Attla. She killed several black bears a their Yukon River fish camp and used a .22 rimfire.

When I came to Alaska in 1965 the .270 Win. and 30-06 were the two calibers of choice. There were a few 300 H&H'S and Springfield's converted to .308 Norma and the brown and polar bear hunting guides that I was acquainted with had Mod. 70's in .375 H&H for big bear hunts. I think old Don DeHart had a 7mm Mag. for his interior hunts.

My Dad was the odd man out, as he always used his old Mod. 70 in .264 Win. His load was the 140 grain Partition and a case full of surplus H4831 that he dumped in with and old Lee powder cup. He had used the rifle on his western hunts for 3 years prior and winter fox hunts in Iowa and had complete faith in it, the caliber and load.

Me and three friends went to Montague Island to hunt our little island deer. One friend carried a .35 Whelen, another a .270 and another a .223 Rem. I carried a 30-06 stuffed with 165 grain Partitions. We all killed deer with one shot. We never saw any big bears as it was late November and the salmon runs were over and the berries were mostly gone. As I was hunting I remembered the 9" brown bear hide in my friends dad's house that came from Montague. Old Maynard "Perk" Perkins and Duncan Gilchrist killed the bear at about 20 feet and it took several shots before it stayed down. Perk was shooting his nice old Mauser .308 Norma and 200 grain Partitions and I forget what Duncan had. They were deer hunting and it was late November and neither one of these experienced hunters expected to see any bears out.

If it works out I would like to hunt a Coues deer with the Tikka Superlite 6.5 Creed I bought last year. If I was living in an area with abundant white tails and liberal seasons I am sure a .223 would kill them. In the 50's we lived over by Spirit Lake in Washington State and my Dad was doing shop work for a timber company. He said we were almost broke and he took a couple of the small deer from the kitchen window at about 20 feet with a .22 rim fire.

Like the old ivory hunter Bell proved long ago, shot placement and penetration is where killing power starts. Any way, we all get to choose what we use and have faith in. Good hunting guys!

Great story, couple things, I've got a book by Duncan Gilchrist, great read. Another my grandad retired from Weyerhaeuser, up kid valley below spirit lake, worked for em from the late 50's til early 80's..

Bill is a very good friend....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yes all cartridges kill deer ,but this happened to me twice : a 6x6 bull elk i killed with an arrow thru both lungs ran down the trail 200 yards so i waited 1 hour just in case ,i then followed a good blood trail about 150 yards 2 other bowhunters were gutting the bull and claimed it. another time it was a huge 9 pt. whitetail buck i knock it down at 100 yards with a 12 gauge slug it got up and walked 40 yards and drop over dead and another hunter claimed that buck ,both were on public land. so after that when i am rifle hunting i always carry a bigger rifle so animals don`t go any place but down when i shoot them , i only shoot bigger bucks now days. i want to mention this about lung shots from my rifle 257 Weatherby Mag. and my handload`s if a bigger whitetail buck is within 200 yards and when i pull the trigger that Nosler Partition bullet goes thru his lungs and some of lungs go out the opposite side 10-20 feet on the ground ,those bucks hump up and fall over, i don`t think a 223 does that unless maybe its a little deer real close ??

Last edited by pete53; 08/08/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

You either totally missed the intention of the question, or I didn't state it well enough. When I said this......."Best = fastest killer in my book, as long as the bullet performs as it is designed. I"m not including rounds to the CNS either." I was trying to state that when arguing as to what bullet kills the quickest, I do not consider CNS shots because any bullet by virtually any cartridge would immediately knock a deer off it's feet. So don't consider CNS shots when stating which bullet killed the quickest.

I don't know how many deer and aoudad I've culled with CNS/head shots......a few dozen easily. All of the culling I've done gave me a good media to test bullets, and bullets were attempted to be placed in "normal" POI's such as behind the should, through the shoulder, etc. As I said, in my more limited (but almost identical) experiences as Mule Deer, deer/aoudad usually ran farther when hit with monos (the vast majority I used were the original Barnes X) than they did with leaded premiums and C&C's.

When I shot a lot of deer with rifles, over the years since 1960 I typically shot about 1/3 CNS. I have never worried about how far a deer traveled after I shot it other than the PITA of having to find one. If I did my part when I shot them in the body the heart and/or lungs were wrecked and I would find it where I found it if it ran. Sometimes they don't run. Sometimes they run a long ways. Most time they bleed well. Sometimes they do not bleed at all. I have learned that over the years and a lot of deer there is no way to predict for me what will occur after the shot be it with a bow or with a rifle. Whether they bleed well or none at all I found to be completely unpredictable. Cup and core bullets were neither nor nor less predictable than monos. Every single mono I have shot a deer with has exited.. I never kept records, but I would guess that 1 of 4 cup and cores failed to exit Might be as few as 1 in 6, pretty sure it wasn't much more than 1 in 4. Mainly Core-Lokts, a few each Speers/Sierras/Hornady/Noslers and odd things like the early Barnes and Partitions. Lots of different calibers and rifles. Most of the shots I have killed deer with have wrecked the heart and/or lungs. The most damages is fairly typically red soup lungs and/or hamburger heart. When that happens, Bambi usually runs. I have seen heart shot deer manage 100 yards or so. The most remarkable was a bow shot doe that was double lunged with a large 4 blade head that made it just over a mile. I had a doe that the heart was loose in the chest make it just over 200 yards. I had a sixer buck that was a classic double lung right behind the shoulder manage 200 yards and lay down and not die right there. He got up after I walked up on him in the dark and made it another 200 yards but he quit bleeding entirely for the last 100. I believe he just ran out of blood rather than plug up because he had great difficulty with that last 100 yards. I cannot control how far a given deer will travel after the shot. That is beyond my influence if I have selected properly before hand.

Damage to the deer does not translate to shortened distance run until I have gotten to over kill which has only been accompanied by a lot of meat damage which is neither desirable for me nor all that predictable bullet to bullet although certain bullets like the old Remington bronze points tended to wreck a lot of everything but penetrated unpredictably.

Monos are the most predictable by far of any bullets I use. I have seen zero stop in a deer. I have seen zero deflect significantly and only a very few deflect enough that I noticed. Not all of the cup and core irregularities that I have seen were fired by me, but I have seen them make impressively nasty holes in the chest and Bambi still made it a few hundred yards. I have seen cup and core bullets deflect off a rib and then slide around under the hide and stop without entering the chest and Bambi was only recovered because of another bullet not necessarily fired by the same shooter. I have personally had that happen a few times, the last of which was a Hornady Flextip 160 grain fired out of a 30-30 at ~2600 FPS out of a 30-30 at <50 feet. That bullet deflected off a rib when it should have penetrated the chest and exited in front of the opposite shoulder, wrecking the heart and lungs in transit. Instead, it deflected up forward it slid under the hide and passed through the back strap which did not noticeably inconvenience the fawn. That was a fawn I was chasing down that was wounded by another hunter and it managed a couple hundred more yards before I put one through it's brain stem. That was about ten years ago and the last cup and core bullet I have fired at a deer. I described monos as best because the kill very predictably, and well more than fast enough. I tolerate my equipment failing me very poorly. I do not balance a failure like the fawn against some number of good performances because the next shot is i in doubt once I know the bullet or rifle may fail me. I have always hated using something I do not trust

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

When I shot a lot of deer with rifles, over the years since 1960 I typically shot about 1/3 CNS. I have never worried about how far a deer traveled after I shot it other than the PITA of having to find one. If I did my part when I shot them in the body the heart and/or lungs were wrecked and I would find it where I found it if it ran. Sometimes they don't run. Sometimes they run a long ways. Most time they bleed well. Sometimes they do not bleed at all. I have learned that over the years and a lot of deer there is no way to predict for me what will occur after the shot be it with a bow or with a rifle. Whether they bleed well or none at all I found to be completely unpredictable. Cup and core bullets were neither nor nor less predictable than monos. Every single mono I have shot a deer with has exited.. I never kept records, but I would guess that 1 of 4 cup and cores failed to exit Might be as few as 1 in 6, pretty sure it wasn't much more than 1 in 4. Mainly Core-Lokts, a few each Speers/Sierras/Hornady/Noslers and odd things like the early Barnes and Partitions. Lots of different calibers and rifles. Most of the shots I have killed deer with have wrecked the heart and/or lungs. The most damages is fairly typically red soup lungs and/or hamburger heart. When that happens, Bambi usually runs. I have seen heart shot deer manage 100 yards or so. The most remarkable was a bow shot doe that was double lunged with a large 4 blade head that made it just over a mile. I had a doe that the heart was loose in the chest make it just over 200 yards. I had a sixer buck that was a classic double lung right behind the shoulder manage 200 yards and lay down and not die right there. He got up after I walked up on him in the dark and made it another 200 yards but he quit bleeding entirely for the last 100. I believe he just ran out of blood rather than plug up because he had great difficulty with that last 100 yards. I cannot control how far a given deer will travel after the shot. That is beyond my influence if I have selected properly before hand.

Damage to the deer does not translate to shortened distance run until I have gotten to over kill which has only been accompanied by a lot of meat damage which is neither desirable for me nor all that predictable bullet to bullet although certain bullets like the old Remington bronze points tended to wreck a lot of everything but penetrated unpredictably.

Monos are the most predictable by far of any bullets I use. I have seen zero stop in a deer. I have seen zero deflect significantly and only a very few deflect enough that I noticed. Not all of the cup and core irregularities that I have seen were fired by me, but I have seen them make impressively nasty holes in the chest and Bambi still made it a few hundred yards. I have seen cup and core bullets deflect off a rib and then slide around under the hide and stop without entering the chest and Bambi was only recovered because of another bullet not necessarily fired by the same shooter. I have personally had that happen a few times, the last of which was a Hornady Flextip 160 grain fired out of a 30-30 at ~2600 FPS out of a 30-30 at <50 feet. That bullet deflected off a rib when it should have penetrated the chest and exited in front of the opposite shoulder, wrecking the heart and lungs in transit. Instead, it deflected up forward it slid under the hide and passed through the back strap which did not noticeably inconvenience the fawn. That was a fawn I was chasing down that was wounded by another hunter and it managed a couple hundred more yards before I put one through it's brain stem. That was about ten years ago and the last cup and core bullet I have fired at a deer. I described monos as best because the kill very predictably, and well more than fast enough. I tolerate my equipment failing me very poorly. I do not balance a failure like the fawn against some number of good performances because the next shot is i in doubt once I know the bullet or rifle may fail me. I have always hated using something I do not trust

Heavy for caliber cup and core bullets at modest speeds used with the correct caliber for the task are extremely dependable IMO! I used to use bullets in the 180 grain range up to 405 years ago. My guess is that in your vast experience there was a lot of mismatching and guessing going on and for far to long at the expense of critters. It seems rather than reiterate your vast experience with cup and cores you have for the most part stated your inexperience and misuse of the bullets IMO

Trystan

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by pete53
when i pull the trigger that Nosler Partition bullet goes thru his lungs and some of lungs go out the opposite side 10-20 feet on the ground ,those bucks hump up and fall over, i don`t think a 223 does that unless maybe its a little deer real close ??

Lighter framed animals definitely seem to succumb to shock. It may have been Ross Segfried but in one of the older Nosler reloading manuals his comment was that the 378 Weatherby was one of the most reliable killers for lion as it left lion clockworks on the ground. Some study in Virginia or around there came to the conclusion that the 25s were the fastest killer on deer. I bet the the 25 Roy had something to do with that. On true big game caliber does seem to matter. Pondoro Taylor thought that even buffalo reacted to bullet shock and for this reason he used the 270 Kynoch over the 300. But he also showed with his KO theory that the bigger the bullet the longer an elephant was stunned by a head shot that went off it's mark. The Swedish Moose study showed almost no difference between a 6.5x55 and a .358 Norma. But moose have been described as phlegmatic and they don't react much to the shot many times. Also because of the dense forests and hunting with hounds most of the shots were close range. The game taken was predominantly calves (yearlings) and cows due to the strict management practices in Sweden.

In general faster bullets seem to kill quicker and it is not until you get to 40-45+ calibers do the slow bullets catch up for quick kills. I am sure this has to do with primary and secondary wound channels but have no idea how to determine this even though there have been many attempts to do so by the military and ammunition makers.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
a deer shot in the lungs or rib cage there is no meat loss on a large deer. myself i don`t want my freezer full of deer meat because i want deer to grow ,so my family and other hunters can have a deer to shoot in the future. people who shoot alot of small deer every year and brag about it are nothing more than game hogs and idiots ! deer culling is a different deal all together than just buying cheap doe deer tags in Minnesota

Last edited by pete53; 08/08/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Trystan

Heavy for caliber cup and core bullets at modest speeds used with the correct caliber for the task are extremely dependable IMO! I used to use bullets in the 180 grain range up to 405 years ago. My guess is that in your vast experience there was a lot of mismatching and guessing going on and for far to long at the expense of critters. It seems rather than reiterate your vast experience with cup and cores you have for the most part stated your inexperience and misuse of the bullets IMO
Trystan

Trystan, You have no fugging idea what you are talking about. The standard deer hunting load here has bee 170-220 grain bullets in a jam-o-matic for a very long time. It was not until very recently that we even had something like light bullets with sturdy enough construction to worry much about other than a Partition.

"Heavy for caliber bullets at modest speeds" Ha! Until you get into big magnums the is nothing but modest speed available. Many of those bullets were also in fact fairly fragile compared to what we have available now. 180 grain 30 caliber bullets commonly shed cores and did not exit.

I tried a lot of things. I tested every single one of them decently before I shot deer with them and I began that practice when I was 8 years old under the guidance of a person who taught me a lot. What did not get tested was factory ammunition bought for rifles I did not have dies for by people who handed me a rifle and told me to shoot it.

I shot and killed a lot of deer with cup and core bullets that were often enough unsatisfactory because there was nothing else available and we really had precious little available until post 2000. The whole reloading scene in the late 50s and through the 80s had pathetic choice for good reliable bullets. It is no accident that the Core-Lokt is a benchmark of sorts. It was one of a few predictable bullets and at that, shooting a deer up close was not the best of ideas using them.

You puppies have no comprehension of how good we have it in terms of bullets today.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One in the middle is adequate for deer.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Bill is a very good friend....

👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I saw quite a few 223s in Alaska, it was a favorite for seals but used on everything else too.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
One in the middle is adequate for deer.

[Linked Image]

What about the one to the right? Merriam's Elk and quite a few other animals were shot out with puny black powder 25-35 and 30-30 loads that people would not use for deer now days much less elk.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is a .56 caliber of 900 grains. Plinker bullet for the rifle that shoots it. Serious loads are 1,300 grains, a two piece swagged as is the .50 caliber of 850 grains beside it. Both are adequate for deer, elk or moose. And most anything else that walks on planet earth.

It's the one in back...

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think you need a heavy equipment operator's license for that one.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (10Glocks, 222ND, 1minute, 1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,844
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.