Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I had an unbelievable amount of friends draw deer tags this year in Montana. The odds of drawing aren't that good for non-residents so it's a fluke that some many would have tags. The long and short of it is that it's been a great season. I enjoyed the company but I think my days of playing host are pretty much over as my oldest boy will be old enough to hunt next fall. All my time and energy will go in to helping him get his buck. I just plain won't have time to hunt with others. It's been fun and good practice so I feel pretty confindent that my son will have success next fall. Anyway here's a few photos from this year.<BR>This first photo is of Tom from MI and his first muley buck.<BR> [Linked Image] <BR>Jerry (JBMICH) was Tom's buddy (yes I hunted with the Tom and Jerry Show). Jerry has killed a couple mule deer before, but this was his best. I thought they both did real well for a couple of MI boys [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]<BR> [Linked Image] <BR>Next this is a buck that a friend of mine from neighboring North Dakota killed last Friday. John (goes by Bwana on the net) only had a few hours to hunt last Friday morning. After passing the buck up I shot and missing a very large buck Thursday (Thanksgiving Day), Bwana made good on his shooting Friday morning and anchored this fine muley.<BR> [Linked Image] <BR>Last but not least my wife made me promise to shoot something for the freezer before the season ended. So here's my last minute freezer buck. It wouldn't be so bad except I passed up at least 6 bucks larger than this during the season. To add major insult to injury just a few hours after shooting this buck, the buck I had been looking for the whole season stepped out and stood broadside at 300 yards. All I could do was watch and resist the urge to cry as I watched Bwana miss him 3 times. I'm pretty sure the hunting god's are still laughing at me, as they got me pretty good this year. How could a guy predict that after passing up 58 bucks, shooting the 59th, that the 60th would be the buck of my dreams? Oh well there's always next year and I know where he's at. Besides I went out Saturday with my video camera and had a little look around. I saw two other wall hangers. Total buck sightings for this year 71 bucks (mostly mule deer). I'd say that is a pretty good season, by any standard. I love this place!!!!!!!!! Hope you all enjoy the photos.<BR> [Linked Image]

Is it Friday yet?
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Sky,<P>I see this is your first post here,Welcome [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>Great pictures! 71 Buck sightings would be a great season,shots or no shots. Well done.

James
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Rick tells me I was a casualty of the weekend hack-attack. They thought they killed me off, but I'mmmmm baaaaaaaaaack.......

Is it Friday yet?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Welcome Big Sky. Glad to see your first post, also. Feel free to join in once and awhile and bump up your numbers. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img] <P>Good job on the Mulies...don't worry the hunting Gods always make up for a laugh...you'll get your day and he'll be a dandy.

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Spike I sure hope you are right!!!

Is it Friday yet?
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Of course I'm right. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>That's the only reason I ever get anyting...The Gods feel bad for laughing at me for so long.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Big Skys,<P>Welcome to your new Forum. Always happy to have another new guy,amongst the ranks.<P>Great timing,coming to this new site and all,after having just killed your First Buck. He is a nice one too.<P>I think you'll find some keen insight here,though occasionally mixed with some gentle ribbing. Pay close attention to what everyone says,as most here are Experts. Well,at least in their own opinions! So listen close to all,EXCEPT a fella by the handle of "FLINCH". He'll have you shooting a nasty old 30-06 and good for nuthin' Ballistic Tips!<P>As an aside,what cartridge/bullet combo,did you use on your First Buck? Always curious about that sort of stuff(GRIN).........he he ha ha

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Big Stick, there I was just the buck and I. It was down to me or him. Slowly I unfolded the legs to my bi-pod, I placed my ear muffs over my ears to avoid the muzzle blast from my muzzle brake. For a brief second I admired the wood on my finely figured stock before peering through my Bushco Trophy Class rifle scope. I could barely make out the fuzzy image of the buck, as he was a long ways away, at a laser ranged 150 yards. Slowly I squeezed the finely tuned 12 pound trigger on my Ruger Mark II, chambered for the vernerable .223AI loaded with 45gr Wusspounder bullets. The recoil rocked me back temporarily causing me to lose sight of the buck. He ran 50 yards and began to growl at me. So I gave him another in the chest, and then another, and another. He started to charge me, but I was out of bullets so I hit him over the head with my rifle knocking him unconscience just long enough for me to cut his throat with my Tiger Sharp hunting knife. Good thing I watch the Outdoor Channel religiously or I wouldn't of had that knife. He came too half way through me cutting his throat but I hung on and wrestled him to the ground until he expired. Okay maybe it didn't exactly happen like that. Maybe we saw the buck at a little over 300 yards and debated who should shoot it. Maybe my partner couldn't see it clearly through his Tasco scope. Maybe just maybe, the buck walked closer to about 150 yards and caught a 165gr BT in the chest out of my 30.06 and that was the end of that [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] The first story is a lot more exciting though.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Now THAT,is a GOOD story! You got this Forum figured out and rather quickly!<P>My only question,is where might I get a can or two,of those Wusspounder bullets? Sounds like the meow................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Geez Stick, these newbies can really post some real BS stories, can't they? Sure glad no one else on this forum takes hunting and storytelling so lightly! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] - Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Skys,<P>For a newbie,you sure do tell a good story.I gotta get me one of those Tiger Sharp knives [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

James
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Big Sky, congratulations on an excellent hunt laced with incredible bravery on your part. Besides, I love any story that starts out with "..there I was..." [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Newguy I suppose you rode him all the way to the buzzer didn't ya??? All the REAL MT men can ride any wild animal tell he yells uncle [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]<P>That's a heck of a season, I don't think I've seen 71 deer in 17 yrs of hunting [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img] <P>Welcome back from the dead.<P>Mike<P>Should we call you Lazarus??

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P.S. Why are all the bolts on those rifles on backwards!@#$%^&*dang poor quality control I guess!!<P>mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Big Sky, great photos and certainly a colorful story. The fact that you watch the Outdoor Channel religiosity, clearly demonstrates your keen since of awareness, anyone could have seen the fuzzy image through the Bushnot Trophy class optics, but few would have recognized the image as a buck.<P>Seriously what camera/scanner did you use???

New bumper sticker!<p>IT&#8217;S GOD RESPONSIBILITY TO FORGIVE BEN LADEN.....<p>IT&#8217;S OUR RESPONSIBILITY TO ARRANGE THE MEETING!!!!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So Sky, lemme guess -- you left out the part about whacking it over the head with your powerpole-lounge stand (between running out of wusspounders and slitting its throat with the tigersharp) because you didn't think anyone would believe it???? Or, would putting your 8 seconds in on a buck hysterically laughing at your treestand have lessoned your mystic?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow! For a newby you sure catch on fast [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] I'm speechless........ Just wish I could afford fine optics like you can. I also need some Wusspounders. Do you think they make 'em in 50 grn 458 Caliber? [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] badger.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Big Sky Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
RayV the photos were taken with a Sony Mavica FD91 digital camera. I really like the images I get with that camera, plus it uses a regular 3.5" disk. Just pop the disk in the camera, take your photos, pop it out and insert it in your PC. Walla, you have instant photos! Sorry boys I bought the last case lot of Wusspounder's from the NastyChez catalog. The had them on a great clearance price, and as with everything that has a great clearance price in NastyChez they are sold out.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For a newbie you shure listen well. I told you on the phone that the .30-06 is king and goes along nicely with 165 ballistic tips. Whatever you do, just don't throw that fine rig into a pink stock. You will get laughed off of this forum. Nobody will take you serious. I didn't know "Rent A Head Enterprises" had that small of heads available for photos [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] Hmmm....maybe Mulie Stalker got ripped after all. He only got a one horn buck for his money;D. Good on you man, and to think you dove onto that buck from your lofty Tree Lounge. You are du man! My story pails in comparison. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Man, if you enjoy his stories here you should try to sit through them from dawn to dusk for 2 days in the front seat of a pick-up. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]<BR>All the bucks you see were runner-ups to bigger ones missed, (all of them) BS's talents are not confined to BS stories, he knows his deer, their hangouts, and how to see nice bucks. It's getting us to hit them where he falls short.<BR>I'm sure you all are going to see one huge muley buck next year about this time lying dead next to BigSky's son.

"The older I get, the better I was"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 3,101 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.