Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kellywk

I do pretty much the same, Mule Deer's articles on using the chronograph to load probably had a bigger impact on how it do it than anything.

Ditto, thanks MD.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I work up until there is a change anywhere around the extractor groove diameter as measured with dial calipers. Then I back off 4% powder charge for temp stable powders, 6% for regular powders for my hunting load.
Vernon Speer suggested 6% in 1956, but he did not have temp compensated powders.
I have done this with 223, 243, 250 savage, 257 Roberts, 25-06, 260, 6.5-06, 280AI, 7mmRM, 308, 30-06, 300WM, 8x57mm, 338WM, and others.

This does not work in 6mmBR as the primer pocket is not the weak link. The primer pocket is too strong. The primer is the weak link. The best I can do is CCI 450 small magnum rifle primers. To get them to go higher, some guys have GreTan bush the firing pin, and some more performance can be had.

The good case heads:
A) 6mmBR and 30-30
B) 223
C) Belted magnum
D) Mauser case head large Boxer primer pocket.

The bad case heads:
X) 30 carbine
Y) 10 mm
Z ) 25acp

There was a guy on AR, A**CLOWN, 15 years ago that could calculate Von Mises stresses in a case head.
His threshold of case head yield pressure predictions matched my emperical threshold data fed into Quickload pressure predictions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Mises_yield_criterion

Clark, I'm curious how close do your velocities match reload manual published velocities?

Edited to add ...Sorry, I just read that your velocities seemed to match Sierra reload data

Trystan

Last edited by Trystan; 08/06/19.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BufordBoone

The actual Piezo measurement on those "proof" cartridges was 80,000 psi.

There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!

I bet you got some pretty good velocities.

PO Ackeley used the pop a primer load method in several of his experiments and then the more manly knuckleheads thought that was how you worked up any load.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Adding sand to the fireforming load may blow the case out more fully, just imagine what it does to the bore of the rifle. Not something I'd even consider doing.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have to say after seeing some of the reloading practices , chances are slim to none I would ever use someone else's handloads.
Pretty fun reading though. Cheers

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
P.O. Ackley was the knucklehead when it came to load development, saw many rifles damaged from using his loading data. His data was developed more than 50 yrs. ago and should be considered obsolete.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gunswizard,

P.O. Ackley's data was MOSTLY not his data, but developed by wildcatters, or similar "freelancers," generally not in controlled conditiosn. He just published it. You probably knew this, but I am just trying to make that plain.

Another reason it's no longer valid is powders have changed, even if they have the same name. As have brass, bulllets and primers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, but what about his velocities ?

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got a buddy who loads his ammo to the point that the bolt sticks or blows primers every single time! I've watched him shoot over 5 in a row when it was blowing the primer and sticky bolt on every shot! Most people would NEVER fire another round after a sticky bolt or blown primer. Yes hes still alive and hes been doing it for years. He has only blown one action apart but that was a shotgun that I'm assuming he accidentally double charged.

I've been fortunate enouph to never have had a sticky bolt or blown primer

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by comerade
I have to say after seeing some of the reloading practices , chances are slim to none I would ever use someone else's handloads.
Pretty fun reading though. Cheers

This ^^, and I wouldn't want them using their handloads on a dangerous game hunt.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
.........Bob's load sometimes expanded chambers in "modern" rifles to the point where the fired cases couldn't be extracted.

Reminds me of what Jim Borden told me when my inferior brass locked the bolt of one of his actions. He thought nothing of it & told me not to be bashful about beating it open with a 2X4.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I would never shoot another persons hand loads.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wouldn't even shoot my dads loads. Life is too short. Another friend gave up loading after his brother gave him some 4831 turned out to be 4064 or some other faster powder. Remington gave him a new rifle and he gave me his reloading dies, so it all worked out. I don't trust internet loads either unless they are from someone like Dogzapper.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The most practical handloader I've evern known was Eddie Simons, a guy I hunted with considerably from far eastern to far western Montana in the 1970's. He never used a scope, because he believed they were unreliable--because in his early experience, they were. But he was a VERY good shot with irons, and owned two centerfire big game rifles, a Savage 99 .250-3000 and a "sporterized" Argentine Mauser in .30-06 he bought through the mail while in high school for $20.

He used IMR4320 in both rifles, with the "middle load" in the Speer manual he bought in the 1950's. and whatever 100-grain .25 or 180-grain .30 spitzer was cheapest in the local stores. With those powder charges, both rifles shot very close to the open sights, and he killed a BUNCH of deer and elk with both rifles. But I also never saw him shoot anything beyond 200 yards, and usually the range was closer--though I also never saw him miss.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 338Rules

I cannot speak about Ackley, but I suspect his thinking was the same as many of the time. Ackley and Canadian gunsmith and experimenter Ellwood Epps had many discussions via the phone and in letters about improved cartridges.

I can tell you what Ellwood Epps used to say about the 303 Epps improved cartridge - if you can get 12% more powder into a case, it stands to reason that the velocity will increase by at least that much, and probably more. Physicists of the day would have known that wasn't possible, but neither Ellwood nor Ackley was a physicist. They simply didn't know. It was a WAG. (wild assed guess).

There used to be a sign at Epps store comparing the 303 British and the 303 Epps. Ellwood claimed that a 180 gr bullet shot from the 303 Epps Improved was traveling at 2900 fps vs 2440 fps for the 303 British. That's about a 19% boost in velocity. Of course, that wasn't the case, but because chronographs were not common then, his estimates were based on some very liberal interpretations and common beliefs of the day. He sold a lot of rifles to guys expecting 2900 fps from their rifles. It wasn't dishonest. He thought he was right.

In his defense, he might have been using a P14 for his tests, that could handle more pressure than a Lee Enfield. If he loaded a powder like 4320 or 3031 in a 303 Epps, he could have safely managed 2800 fps and maybe a wee bit more, but again, he would have had no way of verifying that.

I believe that both men talked about having some of their loads chronoed, but I do not recall where I read that.

So, I believe that Ackley's velocities were like Ellwood's. WAGs

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After reading some of the posts in this thread I think I'd be afraid to buy a used rifle from a handloader unless I knew him personally. Last used one I got was a 257 Weatherby from a good friend. I also do loading for him and I knew very well the rifles condition and what loads it likes. So tune in next week for another exciting episode of " Handloader Horror Theater".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When the lugs get beat back from too many hot loads, most wCatters just spin the original or a similar takeoff barrel back on and sell ‘er off . 🤪. Time to find another donor !

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by 338Rules

So, I believe that Ackley's velocities were like Ellwood's. WAGs

Ackley had instructions for making a momentum "chronograph" with an old tire on a pendulum. Can't imagine that would be very accurate or the math involved to convert tire swing to FPS. Good thing that chronographs weren't readily available then as all the wildcatters would try to load up to claimed velocity levels. It probably would have cut down on the number of wildcats too when everyone found out you were only gaining 100-150 fps with the wonder cases.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read a reprint of an interesting book this past winter..... " Twenty Two Caliber Varmint Rifles " by Charles S. Landis. IIRC it's from 1946. Back when pretty much only the major ammunition producers had chronographs. It's interesting in that it shows how wildcatters did their thing in the 1940's with no chronographs and a very limited supply of powders and components compared to what we have today. Chapter 24 is a treatise on load development written by Hervey Lovell, who was another famed wildcatter of that era. An interesting tidbit from that is when he advises that "When fired cases start sticking in the chamber, cut the load half a grain of powder for a case of this size or back the bullet away from the lands, seat it deeper by 1/32 inch". So I guess that sort of load development was once considered gospel and apparently there was no other way to do it (? ). Wow.......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Chronos have been around in various forms since the 1700s, but the early ones were clumsy, large, and not very accurate. Not something that your average person would have in the barn back then.

There were other considerations for early 20th century wildcatters as well. Fewer powders were available, and that meant bigger gaps in the burn rates of powders. Depending on the cartridge, that would have limited performance. Bullets could be a problem too.

You needed someone like a gunsmith with the equipment to reshape cases, make bullets and ream chambers for new designs. Today, it would be less of a chore. Many companies offer custom dies, chambers and rifles. It was more of a DIY process back then.

I doubt there would have been fewer wildcatters. The mindset was (and still is) to tinker with various powders, case modifications and bullets, in a search for more fps, longer case life, or more accuracy. Ellwood liked taking surplus arms and making something better from them. He was constantly tinkering with cartridges and rifles. I suspect that if P14s were made in the same numbers as Lee Enfields, he would have reworked as many as he could.

Wildcatting was much of the reason we have so many factory cartridges today. Someone had to start the ball rolling.

Amended to add: The 1930s and 1940s would have been such an interesting time in which to live. More single shot rifles - Remingtons and Winchesters on which to build. They would have been cheap. The world's armies had switched to bolt actions. Of course, there would have been fewer nosy parkers wondering what you were doing. No citiots demanding that you hand over your guns.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1minute, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,514
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.