-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 65 of 87 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 86 87
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's amazing. You guys had to go up/down it a few times, not just do a rim trail?

Hell's Canyon had topography like that in the sense that, you could look back at it from a few miles away and it didn't seem like it was possible, to do what you just did, if that makes sense. Long sections of cliffs that from afar looked impassable but when you are a little ant crawling around in the giant things, ways forward present themselves...

Cool tent. Amazing what is out there now. I'm coming around to the single-wall concept. The Duplex did great, even in a big storm, but ventilation is at a premium. A couple mornings we had lots of condensation. My only other issue with it was, a couple nights there just was not anywhere flat, and on a slight slope, my BA pad would slide down and push the bathtub out past the drip-edge if that makes sense. Once I realized that was a thing I found ways to mitigate it.

Cyn got a quilt and is liking it very much. She's using the Duplex solo- luxury! smile

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
yup- naively thought we could gain the top at the north end and simply walk the full length south, not the case smile

the Aeon has some pretty unique ways to mitigate condensation- it has a perimeter around the bathtub that lets air circulate, it also has flaps (closable) in the rear corners that expose more mesh and of course the full front is all mesh and the vestibule can be rolled back

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Duplex has a mesh perimeter around the bathtub as well if that's what you mean. Slick design. The first time we set it up I was like, "huh".... but we got rained on almost every night, and POUNDED for hours one night down on the River Trail portion, and it did great.

The Chinese Wall is super cool. One more piece of American topography to add to my internal favorites list. smile I love the West. Growing up in New Mexico in the 70's, tromped a whole lot of cool topography... it gets in the blood. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
to the gym after work

squats 5/5/5+
bench 5/5/5+
pull-ups 3x11
dips 3x30
core

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
up early (headlamp early) for 4 miles on the trails with Tiny E

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
23 mile road bike ride. Cool weather rolling in and I've got a break-ish in the onslaught so I should be able to bank a couple more rides. Which is good. I'm fat.

Cyn is at roughly 150 miles and truckin' along. She did 22 miles yesterday to get from water to water. She's kicking it, proud of her.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
good on her! smile

3 miles on the trails with my wife and Tiny E early this morning

this afternoon
deadlifts 5/5/5+
overhead press 5/5/5+
lunges 3x 30yds
chin-ups 3x12
core

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, it's super cool. We had all these plans for training in between HC and this, then the ankle derailed things. So it was definitely in question how things would go. But so far so good! I just stuck a plastic bottle of Crater Lake rye whisky and a tiny cigar in the resupply box she's getting Saturday. That should be happy-making. smile

The thru-hike that interest me the most is the CDT. Since I grew up and tromped and backpacked all over NM and to a lesser degree southern CO, the first part would be cool in that way, then it only gets more awesome from there! I just need to figure out HTF to manage this level of success I'm experiencing to where I can split for chunks of time. At this point, with multiple other corporate entities depending on my part of the process, it ain't possible, and it SUCKS.

Last edited by Jeff_O; 08/08/19.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
just need to figure out HTF to manage this level of success I'm experiencing to where I can split for chunks of time. At this point, with multiple other corporate entities depending on my part of the process, it ain't possible, and it SUCKS.

Whats you're secret to success?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Persistence. You?

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, it's super cool. We had all these plans for training in between HC and this, then the ankle derailed things. So it was definitely in question how things would go. But so far so good! I just stuck a plastic bottle of Crater Lake rye whisky and a tiny cigar in the resupply box she's getting Saturday. That should be happy-making. smile

The thru-hike that interest me the most is the CDT. Since I grew up and tromped and backpacked all over NM and to a lesser degree southern CO, the first part would be cool in that way, then it only gets more awesome from there! I just need to figure out HTF to manage this level of success I'm experiencing to where I can split for chunks of time. At this point, with multiple other corporate entities depending on my part of the process, it ain't possible, and it SUCKS.

I'm amazed these guys on this thread don't let you know how silly you sound. I sincerely think they feel sorry for you and let you have your safe space. It's the only explanation I can come up with. It's really weird and embarrassing to read honestly...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Greg, I'm also perplexed. Jeffo makes this thread really weird. Friends don't let friends........

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GregW

I'm amazed these guys on this thread don't let you know how silly you sound.

I can't speak for anyone else but personally, I never felt the need.

But you should see me in the gym, that's where I like to really give people a piece of my mind and tell them how silly they are. Like the overwieght 60 year-old dudes wearing wife-beaters and backward flat-brims. I really let 'em have it.

Or, on the trail when I'm deer hunting. When I see a dude with all new gear and he's carrying a .338 with a hubble telescope on top, I like to tell him he's over-gunned.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by smokepole

But you should see me in the gym, that's where I like to really give people a piece of my mind and tell them how silly they are. Like the overwieght 60 year-old dudes wearing wife-beaters and backward flat-brims. I really let 'em have it.

Or, on the trail when I'm deer hunting. When I see a dude with all new gear and he's carrying a .338 with a hubble telescope on top, I like to tell him he's over-gunned.

Come on now Smoke...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

A better analogy would be if those same guys were at your CampFire. We don't have "point of personal privilege" at our campfire.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

That's why I train at home now. It became to much for me to be the enforcer all the time and make sure hats were correctly fitted and essential training needs pointed out to all... Thankfully I didn't have to deal with all of the women ogling as they were busy trying to find web cams of gyms with smokepole and battue.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith

A better analogy would be if those same guys were at your CampFire. We don't have "point of personal privilege" at our campfire.

Not really. Guys I see in passing at the gym and guys I see in passing on the internet are more similar in the level of discourse than guys I'd have at my campfire. Guys at my campfire would be close friends or relatives mostly. I get into some serious discussions with my sons and their friends all the time, I consider that time well spent. I score a few points but then again, they do too. As my youngest always says, "it ain't the 60's anymore." An old guy once said "it ain't my world, I just occupy a tiny part of it."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My elk camp campfire (actually usually a woodstove) is graced by folks of all stripes. Don't remember anyone ever being told to shut up. That would require a "my shït don't stink" mentality, which, though certainly rampant these fever-dream days, has not yet infected the good folks around my particular campfire.

Ctsmith..... when I mention being eaten alive by work you are perhaps unaware of the context. The regulars here were privy to the whole run-up to this, when I was working out a lot more, and worried that this new work I was pursuing would in fact eat me alive. It took over 6 months just to tool up and make the fixtures, to do this work. I remember describing it as engaging, challenging, difficult, consumptive of mind and body, and very lucrative. It's turned out to all of that and more. I'm finding it difficult to find a healthy balance given the pressures on me to deliver. It helps me to put it in words here, also it's good to hold oneself accountable. Accountability to oneself is kinda the whole purpose of an exercise thread.

Anyway, fück me for even replying, but there it is.

Doing some lathe work now but it's cloudy and cool. I'm gonna try my 26 mile climbing route here in a bit. It's going to HURT. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well that was weird. Cascade should be able to relate to this.

Got 7.5 miles out on my ride. Did the first long climb no problems. At 7.5 I turn onto Butler aka the road of doom, haha. The gateway to Butler is a "wall" about 400 yards long that is as steep as you'll find. Full on granny gear and I have a climbing cassette (low gearing).

Hit the wall, start pedaling in granny, and suddenly all hell breaks loose with my gears... won't stay in gear.... I almost do the slo-mo faceplant because I'm clipped to my pedals and going like 3 mph but I got unclipped.

Long story short my bike has internal cable routing and the rear derailleur cable broke or otherwise failed. Cable tension pulls the derailleur towards the frame (bigger cogs, lower gears) while spring pressure pulls it away from the frame. Sans cable tension the derailleur defaulted to its highest gear/smallest cog.

Problem was, big-ass climb between me and home and no cell service. So I climbed that damn thing in my highest gear. Pedals barely moving it seemed, but going 6-7 mph. Like a stair stepper on high resistance. I've never done a climb like that. I might again. It pounded my quads I think in a good way.

So... 15 mile ride with "that" thrown in.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Bullshit, You?

Never seen anyone ever, who try's so hard to convince others he's working,

Half the Worlds population goes to work daily, including most here on this thread.

Nobody but Jeffy brings it up every 8 hours....

It is embarrassing tripping over his mess here while trying to enjoy others pics and tales.

(patiently awaiting smokes response).

Page 65 of 87 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 86 87

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,255
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.