Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Now that I don't have to be concerned about a big fine from OSHA that would be my fault at a couple places I worked, I like them.

Some of the rules really make a safer work place.

On the other hand, all the BS stickers, warning labels, half an owners manual full of more, just cause increased cost of most products.

One extreme to the other. A time when simply getting within 2 feet of something could kill or maim, to a time when a product is nearly rendered unusable do to the numerous safety features.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Most of these things arise because of a need. Labor unions, machinery guards, OSHA, EMSHA and warning labels. Once the need is fulfilled they don't go away. They continually look for new ways to regulate and new things to regulate so they can expand their bureaucratic empires. The federal government has no constitutional authority to be involved in such regulation.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Some day they'll be sellin' chain saws with idiot proof chain guards.

And sign a waiver, get a background check, take a class, get a permit from the county, do an environmental study, and obtain permission from the HOA.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As most of you know I had a stroke 11 years ago.it affected my right side. I regained the use of my right leg and arm, but the feeling is gone. I have a skillsaw with no idiot puff [bleep] on it, but I’ve got some cords less tools that have them they are a pain to work with!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The most stupid thing I saw was stamped on the side of a Marlin lever action a few years ago. Warning this is a weapon, it can cause death or injury. Please read the owners manual before using. Duh. I was a gun and everyone, even liberals can see that it is a gun. Maybe it was Marlin's lawyers that made them put the stamp on the barrel.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
And the new style of gas cans.

They took something so utterly simple and made them a PIA.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EIB0879
I think about stupid stuff like crossbolt safeties on lever action rifles and triggers that you can't set below three pounds.

Cory Booker has you covered.

"Nowadays, there is more regulation over toy guns than real ones. While medicine, children’s toys, and any number of other consumer products are subject to regulation by the federal government, firearms are exempt. In other words, gun manufacturers have little incentive to make their products safer. Cory will work to close this loophole in federal oversight and allow the Consumer Product Safety Commission to ensure gun safety by making safety warnings and issuing recalls for faulty firearms."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"During CNN’s town hall meeting about gun policy, President Barack Obama lamented that the federal government is essentially powerless to make guns safer. That’s because guns are treated differently than almost every other consumer product. Obama noted that automobile regulations such as seat belts and airbags have reduced traffic fatalities, and that even toys and aspirin bottles are subject to safety standards.

According to Stephen Teret, director of the Center for Law and the Public’s Health at Johns Hopkins University, SAAMI does not behave like other standard-setting organizations. Though SAAMI belongs to the American National Standards Institute (ANSI), which oversees the creation of safety designs and guidelines for a host of American products, it does not solicit feedback from the public as other ANSI members do. Parents might air their ideas about how to make monkey bars safer to an ANSI group that monitors playground equipment, for instance. But SAAMI doesn’t ask gun owners how to improve safety features on firearms. (SAAMI did not reply to multiple requests for comment.)

In the absence of a federal agency that could set safety standards for the industry, some states have stepped in to regulate firearms sold within their borders. California and Massachusetts, for instance, require independent labs to drop-test firearms to ensure they don’t accidentally discharge. Those states, along with Washington, D.C. and Maryland, also prohibit the sale of handguns that are not on a list of approved models. New York and other states require that handguns include various features, such as a safety device to prevent firing. Even so, only eight states have such requirements, and since firearms commonly travel across state lines, Teret believes only the federal government could effectively administer firearm regulations.

Until that can happen, firearm safety falls chiefly on the shoulders of gun owners. But Teret says that responsible practices such as safe gun storage, handling, cleaning, and loading, can only do so much. “Of course you should hope gun owners act prudently and kindly,” he says. “But if you can save lives by changing gun designs, then you should do that, too.”"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
The most stupid thing I saw was stamped on the side of a Marlin lever action a few years ago. Warning this is a weapon, it can cause death or injury. Please read the owners manual before using. Duh. I was a gun and everyone, even liberals can see that it is a gun. Maybe it was Marlin's lawyers that made them put the stamp on the barrel.

Ruger has had those kind of “safety” warnings stamped on their guns since the late 70’s or early 80’s. I’m sure Lawyers are probably the blame.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not machinery but I saw a small tube of hand cleaner with pumice for mechanics at the hardware store and it had a warning against internal use. Wow people eating it, using it for hemorrhoids, WTF?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
IC B3

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Stupid people need protected from their own stupidity, I guess. Look at all the dummies who remove the mag from a semi-auto and then shoot someone with the round in the chamber. Or drop a single action on the hammer and make the round under the hammer discharge (old-style single actions only).

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,687
Posts18,494,053
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.