Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yondering,

I can’t recall if your 12.5” Grendel is an SBR or pistol?

If pistol, what buffer are you using?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I have both SBR and pistol lowers so I use it both ways as appropriate, but usually it's on an SBR lower. Standard carbine buffer and spring either way. I prefer to tune the gas system rather than swap buffers around. Since I made the barrel myself, I snuck up on the gas port size until it was right. If you're buying a barrel, I'd plan on some sort of adjustable gas block.

I do use a Bootleg adjustable bolt carrier to switch between suppressed and unsuppressed; the short barrel and larger case (compared to 5.56) produces a lot of gas.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/13/19.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I need to scope a 6mm Grendel barrel or build upper.

Where to look?

Missed this earlier.

243 LBC from Black Hole Weaponry. I went 24", standard profile, and would 100% get the same thing again; it's a really good shooter.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks!

Meant to type “score” but autocorrect hates me.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
[Linked Image]

Wow.

That's a sweet looking rig.

I imagine is shoots as good as it looks?

What stock do you have on it, and how do you like it?

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/13/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
[Linked Image]

Wow.

That's a sweet looking rig.

I imagine is shoots as good as it looks?

What stock do you have on it, and how do you like it?

Thanks A.S. It is just a magpul PRS (gen 2). That's the stock I have on all of my AR's. I need the longer LOP it provides..As for it shooting good, I'm working on it. I started out with some loads the original owner was using, but it didn't seem to like 8208 as well as I thought it should. I was getting some weird flyers. I actually chit canned everything I got from that guy and just used the barrel. Supposed to be a fluted match grade Shilen. Has Dan Carey's name scribed on it under the Hand guard. Here's the first 11 shots fired from the rifle with AR comp powder:
[Linked Image]
I was hoping to see some difference in POI, as each shot was .1 grain higher than the last. Started with 26 grains and got a velocity of 2,738 fps. Shot 11 had a velocity of 2,894. Max velocity was 3,037 with an 85 grain sierra HPBT gameking...
[Linked Image]
From looking at the group dispersion, I'm thinking shot #8 may be the node I'm after. The velocity of that one was 2,877 fps... I was using brand new starline brass that I was fireforming, so accuracy should improve next go around...These WOA are supposed to be shooters, but from my limited experience with this one, they are picky sob's... Very unlike my el-cheapo 5.56 Windham weaponry barrel on my Northtech Defense.... blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
BSA,

Thank you for sharing. I need to build out another precision lower, and the PRS just might be the stock I'm looking for.

I've played with the 85gr Game Kings in my 6x45, but so far have had equal or better luck with the 95gr NBT's. They might be another option for you.

1.3 MOA on an 11 shot ladder isn't that bad a start. You might be close to braking an moa on 10 shots than you think. wink

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/13/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA,

Thank you for sharing. I need to build out another precision lower, and the PRS just might be the stock I'm looking for.

I've played with the 85gr Game Kings in my 6x45, but so far have had equal or better luck with the 95gr NBT's. They might be another option for you.

1.3 MOA on an 11 shot ladder isn't that bad a start. You might be close to braking an moa on 10 shots than you think. wink

Thanks buddy. I'll look into those noslers. I might head over to SPS right now and see if they have any blems or seconds. My hope is to break moa for 2 consecutive groups, as in the black rifle challenge. I think you may be right. Good luck with your build. The only complaint most guys have about the PRS is the weight, but for most of my rifles with 20"+ barrels, it helps to balance out the rifle. I like them:

[Linked Image]

The newer gen 3 PRS may be slightly lighter than the gen2. The gen 3 also has more adjustment. Try one, you may find you like it too...
If the OP was into the 6.5 creedmoor, it would extend the range quite a bit. I was in Nevada a couple weekends ago and fired off a 1.5" 3 shot sighter group at 400 yards. After that, I let my son shoot it for the rest of the day. The creed shoots pretty good, especially at longer range. Here's how she does at 100:

[Linked Image]

I see good things to come in the future with this rifle (second from the bottom in the pic above), as the barrel breaks in and I find the best load for it... Seriously, if I were in search for a good long range AR, the 6.5 creed would be at the top of the list...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
BSA,

That's some great shooting.

At some point I really should build an AR Creed, with a matching .308 upper...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BSA,

That's some great shooting.

At some point I really should build an AR Creed, with a matching .308 upper...

They are both great to have. Good for any AR collection..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Those guns make me tired just looking at them. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR

Sounds like a personal problem. Even the 6.5 creed is 9.1 pounds. The heaviest one in the pic is my 308 and it is a pig at 10 pounds. It gets shot off the bi-pod a lot, where weight really isnt a concern.

BSA MAGA
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by TWR

Sounds like a personal problem. Even the 6.5 creed is 9.1 pounds. The heaviest one in the pic is my 308 and it is a pig at 10 pounds. It gets shot off the bi-pod a lot, where weight really isnt a concern.

Have you weighed those on an accurate scale, or are these bathroom scale numbers? Bathroom scales are often way off at the low end of their range.

I've weighed a bunch of ARs with a confirmed accurate scale, and from what I've seen there's no way that heavy barrel 308 with a PRS stock is only 10 pounds. 13-14 lb is probably more realistic, and possibly heavier. No offense intended, those just don't seem like realistic weights, especially if the scope is included.

Last edited by Yondering; 08/14/19.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
AR's get heavy fast.

This little 10.5" is 7lb, 10 oz.

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR

We all have our crosses to bear...

kellory Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Keeping in mind, that I will eventually want to reload for them, and currently have little or no real experience doing so, are any of these chamberings offered easier or harder to reload? Any problems to work around? Any idea on costs to reload for comparison? (I'm new to this)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AR-15 & distance: 6.5Grendel. Also good for medium sized game where 6.5G is legal.

There are at least two reloading books just for the 6.5Grendel sold from Alexander Arms, plus a forum dedicated to it on 65grendel.com.

You can keep it under 6lbs before ammo & optics with a LW or ULW 16" bbl. Mass of AR15s goes up quickly, the longer the bbl. A 9 or 10lb AR15 is a non-starter for me.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess most here have never Jesus carried a 240B?? Now that’s a heavy ph ucking weapon..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm 55 years old or will be if I make it to the 25th, weigh 225 lbs, do 100 pushups every morning and run 5 miles 3 times a week unless I'm training for something. Light weight guns are what I like, others like heavyweights, that's okay too.

Lighten up Francis.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TWR
I'm 55 years old or will be if I make it to the 25th, weigh 225 lbs, do 100 pushups every morning and run 5 miles 3 times a week unless I'm training for something. Light weight guns are what I like, others like heavyweights, that's okay too.

Lighten up Francis.

I weigh about 495lbs and eat a box of Twinkie’s by 0900 every morning.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 907brass, 12 invisible), 1,433 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,726
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.