Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A sad end to a day of fun. frown

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's terrible...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been keeping my female lab put up most of the summer. She loves swimming in a certain favorite greened-over cattle pond.No doubt it's probably 100,000+CFU of fecal coliform bacteria aside from the bloom.

My male dogs won't go there, theyre content with wading and laying down in the clear, cool spring-fed branch beside my front gates.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I wonder if that was around 60 years ago. Cousins and I would swim in grandads pond nearly every day of the summer, or does it require drinking the water?

I wonder if it affects cows and horses.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by luv2safari

I wonder if that was around 60 years ago. Cousins and I would swim in grandads pond nearly every day of the summer, or does it require drinking the water?

I wonder if it affects cows and horses.

Bovines are tough

One can be shîtting in the water and another be drinking right behind that one's ass-end.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Unfortunately, this a common happening every year. Blue-green algae has been around for a couple billion years at least and is a factor in Earth developing an oxygen atmosphere. It is typically not visible to casual observation- that green "scum" seen on the surface of ponds is often duck weed which is actually beneficial.

Extended periods of temps over 80 degrees in shallow, still, dark/soft bottomed waters tend to develop blue/green algae. Current or cool temps tend to knock this algae back. I keep my dogs on a short leash during the warm months to lessen their exposure to blue/green algae. I don't obsess on it but I stay aware of the possibility.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stagnant water with no movement is prone to grow that blue-green algae..

Hot temps help too.

Beware of what it looks like!

[Linked Image]

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Tragic.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately lake WInnebago here has this issue every year. You cannot lets pets swim and many beaches get shut down.
Too much runoff from surrounding farms and also lawn fertilizer.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We have several popular fishing reservoirs closed by algae blooms right now. It happens every year.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
12 years ago I was hunting early season Teal in September with my sweet 7 year old GSP. She was one of the best bird dogs I've ever seen and loved to retrieve early season Teal and Wood ducks from the little ponds and streams we hunted .
We had one very small puddle we always had great luck with. It is only maybe 20 yards by 30 yards and surrounded by willows. It was hot and there was the usual scum on part of it. She retrieved 4 or 5 from that little puddle like we did every year. .
The next morning when I took her food to her kennel she came out really slow, disoriented . And walked right into the gate. It was plain she was blind and scared and I was terrified. Took her to the vet as fast as I could get there. I held her at the vets for an hour or more trying to give her some comfort while they did tests. I went back later that day and the vet mentioned that it could have been algae . I had never heard of it and she hadn't dealt with it but had called the Purdue vet school and that's what they suggested. Within two days she was acting right and worked cover like she did before, but was still blind . She just went by hearing and smell and my voice. I thought we could manage her life fine like that until I found her in her kennel 5 days later. The vet said she had possibly a seizure and a heat attack. I will never take that chance again. I still miss her , she was way to young.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
My dad lost a lab some years ago in our farm pond....from some algae type poisoning...that dog lived to swim in that pond...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RandyR
Unfortunately lake WInnebago here has this issue every year. You cannot lets pets swim and many beaches get shut down.
Too much runoff from surrounding farms and also lawn fertilizer.

Nutrient pollution in the nation's waters is huge and algal blooms are symptomatic of the issue in many places. With it comes many issues, death among them.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When did Trump start doing this BS?

LOL
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The pond at my gun club had a pretty bad algae bloom a couple years ago and my lab got an awful skin infection from swimming in it. There is no runoff of chemicals around it but the stream that feeds it must have brought in something toxic. I got off lucky as did my dog, now she doesn’t swim there anymore. Recently I heard of a man losing a leg to a bacterial infection from swimming in saltwater. Nothing seems to be safe anymore.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by BigPine
12 years ago I was hunting early season Teal in September with my sweet 7 year old GSP. She was one of the best bird dogs I've ever seen and loved to retrieve early season Teal and Wood ducks from the little ponds and streams we hunted .
We had one very small puddle we always had great luck with. It is only maybe 20 yards by 30 yards and surrounded by willows. It was hot and there was the usual scum on part of it. She retrieved 4 or 5 from that little puddle like we did every year. .
The next morning when I took her food to her kennel she came out really slow, disoriented . And walked right into the gate. It was plain she was blind and scared and I was terrified. Took her to the vet as fast as I could get there. I held her at the vets for an hour or more trying to give her some comfort while they did tests. I went back later that day and the vet mentioned that it could have been algae . I had never heard of it and she hadn't dealt with it but had called the Purdue vet school and that's what they suggested. Within two days she was acting right and worked cover like she did before, but was still blind . She just went by hearing and smell and my voice. I thought we could manage her life fine like that until I found her in her kennel 5 days later. The vet said she had possibly a seizure and a heat attack. I will never take that chance again. I still miss her , she was way to young.

Man, unreal. I'm sorry to hear that. All my pointers have been part of family.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Apparently Abiquiu Lake in NM has a blue-green bloom going on.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 59 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.