-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 71 of 117 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 116 117
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You asked me to explain my reasoning and I declined - because it would take several years and you'd throw up straw men like a poorly translated bible quote anyway.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
You asked me to explain my reasoning and I declined - because it would take several years and you'd throw up straw men like a poorly translated bible quote anyway.

You are free to decline. No need to justify your claims when you can just assert them.

You are wrong about translation error when it comes to violence in the bible. That is well recognized. Nor does it rest on any single verse.

The Bible and violence

''The Hebrew Bible and the New Testament contain narratives, poetry, and instruction describing, recording, encouraging, commanding, condemning, rewarding, punishing and regulating violent actions by God, individuals, groups, governments, and nation-states. Among the violent acts included are war, human sacrifice, animal sacrifice, murder, rape, and criminal punishment.[1]:Introduction The texts have a history of interpretation within the Abrahamic religions and Western culture that includes justification and opposition to acts of violence.[2]

Sociologists Frank Robert Chalk and Kurt Jonassohn question "the applicability of the term [genocide] to earlier periods of history, and the judgmental and moral loadings that have become associated with it."[149] Since most societies of the past endured and practiced genocide, it was accepted as "being in the nature of life" because of the "coarseness and brutality" of life.[149]:27 Chalk and Jonassohn say the Old Testament contains cases they would consider genocide (if they were factual) because of women and children being killed even though it was war and casualties in war are excluded from the definition of genocide. They also say: "The evidence for genocide in antiquity is circumstantial, inferential, and ambiguous, and it comes to us exclusively from the perpetrators."[149]:64''

Last edited by DBT; 08/15/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
People accept dogma on faith, with any serious questioning it's teachings being discouraged, faith being seen as a virtue.

Oh man, is that ever wrong. There's something like 33,000 Christian denominations because nobody questions.

DBT said serious questioning is discouraged , not that there is no questioning...its no wonder you are blind or oblivious
to the clear and concise words in scripture.

anyway,..why would all those folks with the holy sprit have any need to doubt or question?

Originally Posted by DBT

The writers of the Torah/OT describe what they believed their God to be like. Christian writers added their own beliefs, which Judaism rejects.
Each clinging to their own interpretations and their own faith.

Faith is nothing more than mans belief in his own kaleidoscope imagination.

Originally Posted by DBT
.... each religion does reject the teachings of other faiths without too much effort. It is an example of the absurdity of faith.
Countless denominations squabble ....

christians were at each other throats in the time of Constantine, squabbling and on the verge of civil war over their differences
regarding christianity, such is the loving peaceful comforting power of the Holy Spirit Jesus organized for them.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

squabble over things like the Trinity or the Divinity of Jesus, salvation through grace or works, etc.

Those are trivial matters??

I gather those who believed in Thor would squabble over a trivial matter like what his hammer weighed.

or over how much of a warrior ones needs to be to attain an afterlife in Odins great hall of Valhalla in Asgard.

But then based on deprecated translation of an ancient Hebrew text we conclude the absurdity that God is the root of all evil.

root of all evil?

how about; God purposely planted the seed of evil?

I asked you earlier if its POSSIBLE that God has a purpose for evil and thus created evil for such purpose ,
thus being RESPONSIBLE for evil, ..but Not be evil himself,

did you reply?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Pick one. Rhagolitis flies, multiple species. Hawaiian drosopholids. Lots of them. Squirrels, mice, you name it. They are all around you.

Here is an interesting lift from an article on "genetic" issues can conflict with prevailing evolutionary theory:

"…..Change resulting from selective breeding is not the same as evolutionary change. Evolution, by means of new mutations and utilizing all the sub-processes can achieve much more comprehensive optimization of all of the organism’s characteristics. Because the comprehensive process is much longer, the apparent timing difference between group and individual selection is dramatically reduced increasing the feasibility of group selection. [u]This issue is probably the single most important issue in the continuing controversy between traditional and alternative evolutionary mechanics theories[/u

Yep, the rhagolits flies all remain flies.... all the same genotype.... squirrels, mice, monkeys.... all the same genotype.

One scientist went through 60,000 generations of bacteria.... all remained bacteria.... same with all the fruit fly experiments. ALL known efforts to force "macro-evolution" in the lab have failed.

The examples you provided are all examples of "genetic variation" within a genotype and ARE NOT examples of "macro-evolution."

The scientific community has changed the definition of "evolution" so as to include simple genetic variation. They have duped the unsuspecting crowds.

Exactly

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Homo habilis became Homo erectus became Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis and denisovans. The latter two of which crossed back with separate branches of Homo sapiens.

Many humans today carry genes originating in either neanderthals or denisovans. Some carry genes from both.

So can you identify what you consider to be the earliest genesis form of the species that evolved into what all consider to be human today i.e. homo sapiens? I assume this is homo habilis??

H habilis came from a more archaic line of hominids which came from other more distant mammals which date back to 66 million years ago at the K-T boundary.

The question is not genesis of life. That question is unanswerable at this time. The question was, "Can we identify trans-species evolution?" Examples of which abound for anyone who looks with an open mind.

So let's be specific--did Lucy precede Homo habilis? Is she the trans-specie link?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

This is outside the scope of this thread ... but none of those verses remotely suggest that God is the author of moral evil only that He uses calamity (sometimes called evil or bad things) and wicked men or demons to accomplish His purposes.

These verses, and more, are not outside the scope of your claim: ''You won't find one verse in the Bible that teaches that God is author of moral evil'' - Thunderstruck.

These verses falsify your claim.

They clearly do not just refer to so called 'natural calamities' - which if brought about by God for the reason of causing death and suffering is an act of evil.

There are plenty of verses which declare that God is perfectly holy and cannot sin.

Sure, there are.....and that is another contradiction in the bible.

The sword of the LORD is filled with blood, ... their land shall be soaked with blood, ... For it is the day of the LORD's vengeance. Isaiah 34:7-8

I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear comes. (Proverbs 1:26)

He is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins. Joshua 24:19

God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; Nahum 1:2

Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers. Isaiah 14:21

In contradiction to:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'' - 1 Corinthians 13;

The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works. << Psalm 145:9 >>

We have discussed your attempts at contrived contradictions on another thread. I'm not going to play along and hijack this thread's topic with any further discussion on your alleged contradictions. You have yet to offer one that takes context, logic, and common sense into account.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tarquin

This extract really illustrates that using the fossil record to try to establish transitional life forms is not even a scientific process--because we don't have the scientific data to make it so. As some honest paleontologists have reported its more speculative assumptions that lead to unproven conclusions.

In 1978, fossil expert Gareth Nelson, of the American Museum of Natural History in New York, wrote: “The idea that one can go to the fossil record and expect to empirically recover an ancestor-descendant sequence, be it of species, genera, families, or whatever, has been, and continues to be, a pernicious illusion.”4

Henry Gee, a science writer for Nature, doesn’t doubt Darwinian evolution, but he likewise admits that we can’t infer descent with modification from fossils. “No fossil is buried with its birth certificate,” he wrote in 1999. “That, and the scarcity of fossils, means that it is effectively impossible to link fossils into chains of cause and effect in any valid way.” According to Gee, we call new fossil discoveries missing links “as if the chain of ancestry and descent were a real object for our contemplation, and not what it really is: a completely human invention created after the fact, shaped to accord with human prejudices.” He concluded: “To take a line of fossils and claim that they represent a lineage is not a scientific hypothesis that can be tested, but an assertion that carries the same validity as a bedtime story — amusing, perhaps even instructive, but not scientific.”5

In short, fossils cannot demonstrate Darwinian evolution.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Homo habilis became Homo erectus became Homo sapiens and Homo neanderthalensis and denisovans. The latter two of which crossed back with separate branches of Homo sapiens.

Many humans today carry genes originating in either neanderthals or denisovans. Some carry genes from both.

So can you identify what you consider to be the earliest genesis form of the species that evolved into what all consider to be human today i.e. homo sapiens? I assume this is homo habilis??

H habilis came from a more archaic line of hominids which came from other more distant mammals which date back to 66 million years ago at the K-T boundary.

The question is not genesis of life. That question is unanswerable at this time. The question was, "Can we identify trans-species evolution?" Examples of which abound for anyone who looks with an open mind.

So let's be specific--did Lucy precede Homo habilis? Is she the trans-specie link?

Apparently you don't read much. There is no single "trans-specie link". "Lucy" preceded Homo habilis by about 1.5 million years and is one of several ancestral species. BTW: Homo habilis is not the same as Homo sapiens, our own species.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by scoony
Is evolution a myth?

Does the fossil record show a multitude of “transitional” forms that would support the idea of evolutionary change?

Here are some comments as a result from a quick google search, reference is an article in Forbes magazine:

Archaeopteryx …. has feathers… small teeth…has wings…flew…… BUT, since it has a fused clavicle, we are going to call it a transitional form which proves it came from dinosaurs. Wait a minute…. feathers…. wings…. flew… but because it has a fused clavicle we are going to call it a descendant from dinosaurs.

Nope, folks it is a bird. Paleontologists and evolutionary fan boys seeing something that isn’t there

Actually birds are part of the dinosaur family. Not hard to find that info.

Then that still doesn't help your cause.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Re: Dawkins video....whales

Lots of bafflegab and a nice drawing. Reminds me of the semi-famous depiction of the “evolution” of the horse..... small ones, big ones, three toes, two toes.... but all were horses. Some guy made fun of it by using the same format but used dogs in the illustration.

But, as ever, let me ask a couple of questions..... you say “we” have the fossils.... ok, show me. Seems we had a great leap from a small land animal to a whale like creature. Let’s see the “more transitional fossils.”

Further, pls provide info or reference to the “having the DNA.”

Small land mammal to whale? DNA trail? I would like to see that.

Pls, if the only evidence is a similarity between hippo and whale DNA is all you have, just say it. There seems to be much similarity chicken hemoglobin and human hemoglobin. That is not proof of common ancestry.

Btw.... I:consider Dawkins to be primarily an entertainer, much like that pervert Larry Krause.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Is evolution a myth?

Does the fossil record show a multitude of “transitional” forms that would support the idea of evolutionary change?

Here are some comments as a result from a quick google search, reference is an article in Forbes magazine:

Archaeopteryx …. has feathers… small teeth…has wings…flew…… BUT, since it has a fused clavicle, we are going to call it a transitional form which proves it came from dinosaurs. Wait a minute…. feathers…. wings…. flew… but because it has a fused clavicle we are going to call it a descendant from dinosaurs.

Nope, folks it is a bird. Paleontologists and evolutionary fan boys seeing something that isn’t there

Actually birds are part of the dinosaur family. Not hard to find that info.

Pretty easy to find info that says man causes global warming, the earth is flat and Epstein committed suicide.

Each of which is a separate proposition with it's own burden of proof.

Yes, the red herring here is the diversion away from my post to the simple statement that “Actually birds are......”

Other than you....to your credit....Not one of the “evolutionists” offer up any real topic for discussion or opportunity for debate and discussion.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Apparently you don't read much. There is no single "trans-specie link". "Lucy" preceded Homo habilis by about 1.5 million years and is one of several ancestral species. BTW: Homo habilis is not the same as Homo sapiens, our own species.

Evolutionary thinking is fraught with logical gaps, so no I don't spend my my time chasing all the possibilities offered by various competing theories of evolution. Because there are competing theories I was asking which one the folks here are following. I have seen Lucy appear in evolutionary charts as the the predecessor to Homo Habilis. So I was asking if that is what you guys think? Since that doesn't seem to be going anywhere, I will take a different approach since you are recognizing Lucy in the chain. Lucy has been heralded as finding evidence for a missing link. So let's examine some of the assumptions in this.

1. There is only 1 of Lucy--otherwise she wouldn't be so heralded. We have a tremendous fossil record for data, so why is there not an abundance of comparative and similar evidence for more similar transitional life forms that support macro-evolution? This one point alone is sufficient to establish the speculative nature of conclusions drawn from Lucy.
2. There two knee joints used--one from near and one from far away. "The one found far away was found two to three kilometers away from the skull and 60-70 meters deeper in the strata. Dr. Johansen does not claim that the knee joint belonged to Lucy. Instead, it was part of another fossil he found some time earlier. He does put them together logically, though, claiming that they were of the same species." This is very speculative because when you are assembling the first data point of 1 you cannot make assumptions that there were more and that you can just borrow from them to assemble the whole and then conclude if they were or were not walking upright.
3.Dr. Charles Oxnard completed the most sophisticated computer analysis of australopithecine fossils ever undertaken, and concluded that the australopithecines have nothing to do with the ancestry of man whatsoever, and are simply an extinct form of ape (Fossils, Teeth and Sex: New Perspectives on Human Evolution, University of Washington Press, 1987).
4. Stern and Sussman write in the American Journal of Physical Anthropology (60:279-313):

"In summary, the knee of the small Hadar hominid shares with other australopithecines a marked obliquity of the femoral shaft relative to the bicondylar plane, but in all other respects it falls either outside the range of modern human variation (Tardieu, 1979) or barely within it (our analysis). Since, aside from the degree of valgus, the knee of the small Hadar hominid possesses no modern trait to a pronounced degree, and since many of these traits may not serve to specify the precise nature of the bipedality that was practiced, we must agree with Tardieu that the overall structure of the knee is compatible with a significant degree of arboreal locomotion." (p.298)

The paper by Stern and Sussman also mentions that the hands and feet of Australopithecus afarensis are not at all like human hands and feet; rather, they have the long curved fingers and toes typical of arboreal primates. Notwithstanding, the St. Louis Zoo features a life-size statue of Lucy with perfectly formed human hands and feet.
5. One of the world's leading authorities on australopithecines, British anatomist, Solly Lord Zuckerman has concluded (based on specimens aged much younger than Lucy) that australopithecines do not belong in the family of man. He wrote "I myself remain totally unpersuaded. Almost always when I have tried to check the anatomical claims on which the status of Australopithecus is based, I have ended in failure." (Beyond the Ivory Tower, 1977, p. 77)
6.Dr. Chas. Oxnard (USC) writes "Although most studies emphasize the similarity of the australopithecines to modern man, and suggest, therefore that these creatures were bipedal tool-makers at least one form of which (A. africanus--"Homo habilis," "Homo africanus") was almost directly ancestral to man, a series of multivariate statistical studies of various postcranial fragments suggests other conclusions." He further concludes, "Finally, the quite independent information from the fossil finds of more recent years seems to indicate absolutely that these australopithecines of half to 2 million years and from sites such as Olduvai and Sterkfontein are not on a human pathway." In Oxnard's opinion, australopithecines were neither like humans or apes but more like Pongo, the orangutan...even more "distant" from man, than a gorilla... "to the extent that resemblances exist with living forms they tend to be with the orangutan" (U. of Chicago Magazine, Winter, 1974, pp. 11-12).
7.Over the years, various objections to Lucy’s bipedality have emerged among evolutionists. For example, anthropologist Russell Tuttle from the University of Chicago, as reported in Science News, believes that the Laetoli prints were made by a contemporary but much more human-like creature than Lucy.18 More recently, experts have decided that Lucy walked on flat feet but that others of her species had arched feet.1
Stern and Susman in 198320 as well as Tuttle21 believed that Lucy’s pelvis was well-adapted for arboreal (tree-dwelling) life. They, like many others, noted that the orientation of the iliac blade on the pelvic bone matched that of [bleep], not humans. (The iliac blade is a wing-shaped part of the pelvis, or hip bone.)

Just too many logical holes and speculative assumptions in using Lucy as the proof that humans evolved from ape-like creatures.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 08/15/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by DBT
[Religion has no such checks and balances. People accept dogma on faith, with any serious questioning it's teachings being discouraged, faith being seen as a virtue.

Oh man, is that ever wrong. There's something like 33,000 Christian denominations because nobody questions.

But then based on deprecated translation of an ancient Hebrew text we conclude the absurdity that God is the root of all evil.

33,000 denominations? Further evidence that god is created by man. So many versions!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Lots of bafflegab and a nice drawing. Reminds me of the semi-famous depiction of the “evolution” of the horse..... small ones, big ones, three toes, two toes.... but all were horses. Some guy made fun of it by using the same format but used dogs in the illustration.

But, as ever, let me ask a couple of questions..... you say “we” have the fossils.... ok, show me. Seems we had a great leap from a small land animal to a whale like creature. Let’s see the “more transitional fossils.”

Pls, if the only evidence is a similarity between hippo and whale DNA is all you have, just say it. There seems to be much similarity chicken hemoglobin and human hemoglobin. That is not proof of common ancestry.

The information is out there, all you have to do is look for it, but since it goes against your religious beliefs, you simply ignore it.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

This is outside the scope of this thread ... but none of those verses remotely suggest that God is the author of moral evil only that He uses calamity (sometimes called evil or bad things) and wicked men or demons to accomplish His purposes.

These verses, and more, are not outside the scope of your claim: ''You won't find one verse in the Bible that teaches that God is author of moral evil'' - Thunderstruck.

These verses falsify your claim.

They clearly do not just refer to so called 'natural calamities' - which if brought about by God for the reason of causing death and suffering is an act of evil.

There are plenty of verses which declare that God is perfectly holy and cannot sin.

Sure, there are.....and that is another contradiction in the bible.

The sword of the LORD is filled with blood, ... their land shall be soaked with blood, ... For it is the day of the LORD's vengeance. Isaiah 34:7-8

I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear comes. (Proverbs 1:26)

He is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins. Joshua 24:19

God is jealous, and the LORD revengeth; the LORD revengeth, and is furious; Nahum 1:2

Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers. Isaiah 14:21

In contradiction to:

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'' - 1 Corinthians 13;

The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works. << Psalm 145:9 >>

We have discussed your attempts at contrived contradictions on another thread. I'm not going to play along and hijack this thread's topic with any further discussion on your alleged contradictions. You have yet to offer one that takes context, logic, and common sense into account.

Nothing contrived about them. The contradictions are there for anyone to see. It seems that you are not willing to acknowledge their reality.

The statement that God punishes generations for the sins of their fathers contradicts the statement that God is good to all, referring to His love and tender mercy .

If one is true, the other is false. Or God is bipolar.

It's basic logic.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
or bipolar analysis as the other thread would illustrate

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

The information is out there, all you have to do is look for it, but since it goes against your religious beliefs, you simply ignore it.

Does Creationism go against your beliefs?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We are happy to be known as men of faith and confidence in the facts and evidence. I have no interest in presenting my position from the basis of doubt, uncertainty, and speculative theory.

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
If we assume that God does not exist then nothing in this thread matters. In fact neither you nor I matter, neither does anything else in the universe. Might be wise to have an open mind.

Why in the world would you say such a thing?

The happiness of my spouse and family very much matters.
My reputation as honest and trustworthy very much matters.
My kids and grandchildren growing up to be happy and productive matters.
The nation and world we leave behind for our grandchildren and great grandchildren to live in very much matters.

These things matter all the more, because that is all there is to matter.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 71 of 117 1 2 69 70 71 72 73 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (01Foreman400, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,456
Posts18,471,117
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.