Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
You can get an ex parte protective order and get your firearms confiscated in Kansas tomorrow.

Your post is a good example of why we are losing the fight. We don’t understand the fight. There is ZERO chance of a federal red flag law. It doesn’t work that way. Every red flag law will be put in place by a state legislature.

You talked in some of your post as if we have avoided UBC and other measures since Sandy Hook. Far from it. Lots of states have very restrictive UBC, Red Flag laws, AND AWB bans more restrictive than anything ever proposed on the national level while people on this board and elsewhere stay focused on what the idiots in Congress are doing.

Last edited by JoeBob; 08/16/19.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Well at least you've revealed on whose side you're on, Joe.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Yeah, whatever. You’re not a serious person.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Wow! Brilliant rejoinder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would propose that firearms could be taken ex parte, but that within 14 days of the order the state must file and pursue an involuntary commitment or the guns go back. I would also provide criminal and civil penalties for falsely reporting someone to be a risk.

Fine and dandy. Who is going to reimburse the gun owner for legal fees? The state is denying a right and forcing the owner to pony up to protect that right. I sure don't have funds to hire an attorney and am glad I no longer own guns.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Wow! Brilliant rejoinder.

It was a nice way of telling you that you’re a dumbass. I’m not telling you a damned thing that isn’t true. Yet, you want to say I’m a traitor and other stupid schit. Today, in every state in the country an ex parte protective order can be taken against a person and they WILL come out to get his guns. Yet you want to rail about due process and all that. I’m just telling you that the courts have settled the issue long ago. Sorry, if you can’t take the truth and would rather be a dumbass. Doesn’t mean that I’m in favor of it. Doesn’t mean I think it’s great. It just means that a process virtually identical to the red flag laws that are mostly proposed is already i widespread use. Arguing that it is unconstitutional and all that is a dead end. If you want to make an argument, make a political argument that guns are a third rail. That might work.

What are you doing in your state? Your state already has a red flag law and narrowly avoided an AWB. What are you doing there?

I’m just telling you that if you want to be taken seriously, make serious arguments. Get on the horn with your state legislatures and suggest things that could address due process concerns.

And finally, realize this. The red flag issue is a bit different. Nearly every single gun control proposal, no matter what they tell you, is completely pushed and promulgated by zealots who only wish to take away ALL your guns. Not so with Red Flag laws. Lots of people who are moderately pro gun or indifferent think that the idea of having a tool to temporarily take weapons away from someone who is mentally unbalanced is not a bad thing. When you argue with them, you will not be taken seriously if you are just “No compromise”. They will see you as the zealot and discount what you have to say.

Like I said, in some states, this stuff is coming no matter what. In some, it won’t come no matter what. But the point is, to be rational about it. Be prepared to make reasoned and persuasive arguments that support your position and to be constructive. You’re not.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I would propose that firearms could be taken ex parte, but that within 14 days of the order the state must file and pursue an involuntary commitment or the guns go back. I would also provide criminal and civil penalties for falsely reporting someone to be a risk.

Fine and dandy. Who is going to reimburse the gun owner for legal fees? The state is denying a right and forcing the owner to pony up to protect that right. I sure don't have funds to hire an attorney and am glad I no longer own guns.

I had an auction house pick up my entire collection of firearms today. I'm done playing ball. I'm taking up fishing, until they outlaw fishing rods.

LOL
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Well, in other posts, I proposed that there be a bond required and that if the red flag is the result of an accusation that turns out to be false, attorney’s fees he assessed. That would take care of the [bleep] neighbor who just doesn’t like you and such.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I would also provide criminal and civil penalties for falsely reporting someone to be a risk.

I wouldn't do this part until it had been effectively challenged at least to the federal level.

One argument that might have a chance with a court is the fact that, since there is in reality no penalty for false affirmation in either EPO or RF applications, there is no due process.

The requirement of "Supported by oath or affirmation" is not met when there is no penalty for lying, hence no "support" for the oath.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Fubarski
I would also provide criminal and civil penalties for falsely reporting someone to be a risk.

I wouldn't do this part until it had been effectively challenged at least to the federal level.

One argument that might have a chance with a court is the fact that, since there is in reality no penalty for false affirmation in either EPO or RF applications, there is no due process.

The requirement of "Supported by oath or affirmation" is not met when there is no penalty for lying, hence no "support" for the oath.

I’m pretty sure that someone who made a false allegation would be open to a defamation suit. False imputation of a crime is slander or libel per se. That means that you don’t have to prove that you were even damaged.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Well, in other posts, I proposed that there be a bond required and that if the red flag is the result of an accusation that turns out to be false, attorney’s fees he assessed. That would take care of the [bleep] neighbor who just doesn’t like you and such.

That has some merit for sure, but a lot of people don't have the cash up front to hire the attorney. Defense attorneys don't do contingencies for obvious reasons. What do accuseds do, roll over to take it from behind?

You had better believe that states' attorneys will know this and use it as a screw to turn.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

That has some merit for sure, but a lot of people don't have the cash up front to hire the attorney. Defense attorneys don't do contingencies for obvious reasons. What do accuseds do, roll over to take it from behind?

You had better believe that states' attorneys will know this and use it as a screw to turn.

There is going to be abuse. That is why I proposed that a better way might be making it part of an involuntary commitment process. They’ll appoint an attorney for that. And from an equity standpoint, if not strictly constitutional standpoint, if we are going to make the argument that someone is too dangerous to own a gun, then we should make the argument that they need some mental help as well. And committment trials can get a jury as well.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Joe's an attorney, so maybe he'll give you a deal if you get caught up in the Red Flag laws he advocates.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Joe's an attorney, so maybe he'll give you a deal if you get caught up in the Red Flag laws he advocates.

You’ve really gone insane lately.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Fireball2

I had an auction house pick up my entire collection of firearms today. I'm done playing ball. I'm taking up fishing, until they outlaw fishing rods.

grin

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

I’m pretty sure that someone who made a false allegation would be open to a defamation suit. False imputation of a crime is slander or libel per se. That means that you don’t have to prove that you were even damaged.

The point is, the framers made the due process requirement of a sworn oath necessary to support government intervention, search/arrest warrants being the ones in play at the time.

But that was BITD when false swearing/perjury were actually treated as a serious crime.

Now, they're not, and if there's no criminal penalty for false affirmation/oath, there's no due process as the Constitution requires, for a RF/EPO case.

The Framers wouldn't have considered the possibility of a civil lawsuit at a later time "supported by oath or affirmation".

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

The point is, the framers made the due process requirement of a sworn oath necessary to support government intervention, search/arrest warrants being the ones in play at the time.

But that was BITD when false swearing/perjury were actually treated as a serious crime.

Now, they're not, and if there's no criminal penalty for false affirmation/oath, there's no due process as the Constitution requires, for a RF/EPO case.

The Framers wouldn't have considered the possibility of a civil lawsuit at a later time "supported by oath or affirmation".

Kind of depends on the jurisdiction. I’ve seen women get prosecuted for perjury for lying in protective order cases.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

You’ve really gone insane lately.

I hope you don't Red Flag me.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Yeah, but they will not wish to discourage people from reporting, so you will likely need to prove malice, which isn't easy.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The way the Colorado law is written it is a civil offense and they will perform a search order on a civil offense which is illegal. It will set a precedent for allowing search orders for such things.

It is more than just the red law being instituted and is very difficult to undue laws once they are established by whatever means...

This chit just keeps growing.

Last edited by bcolorado; 08/16/19.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (260Remguy, 358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,679
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.