Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by Blackheart
A dollar raise is two dollars to an employer.

Them dang 1 percenters!
Two dollars don't amount to shyt today either.

Start a business then.
I have one. I'm the only employee. Won't ever hire another unless the business makes enough to afford to hire another at a decent wage. Don't want any slaves nor woud I expect anybody to work for peanuts.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Anybody that asks for raise after 3 months is a douche and not going to be a good employee down the road at least 80% of the time.
Sounds more like a guy that knows he's worth more than he's being paid and figures he's proven it for the past three months.

I always figured that if I was worth more than I was being paid, someone would shortly show up and offer me more money for my services.
Fuggin living in dreamland if you're thinking that around here.

Perhaps bitching on an internet forum isn't as valuable as you think?

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Well I disagree...i would keep in mind firmly that I can't run the whole thing alone so those people are doing a damn important thing and i am keeping the lion's share of the profits so I owe them what their labor is worth and has given me.

Thats my view on it. Especially if the boss does little and inherited the business and has little skin in the game

Last edited by mjbgalt; 08/17/19.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Maybe they do 10 bucks an hour worth of labor. But if that work makes me a couple million...i can't be grateful? I damn sure should be.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Well I disagree...i keep in mind firmly that I can't run the while thing alone so those people are doing a damn important thing and i am keeping the lion's share of the profits so I owe them what their labor is worth and has given me.

Thats my view on it. Especially if the boss does little and inherited the business and has little skin in the game

You've obviously never attempted to run a business.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Have run several. Not that complicated. Be fair and honest.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Anybody that asks for raise after 3 months is a douche and not going to be a good employee down the road at least 80% of the time.
Sounds more like a guy that knows he's worth more than he's being paid and figures he's proven it for the past three months.

I always figured that if I was worth more than I was being paid, someone would shortly show up and offer me more money for my services.
Fuggin living in dreamland if you're thinking that around here.

Perhaps bitching on an internet forum isn't as valuable as you think?
I live in the real world. Not your fuggin fantasy land.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Sorry you feel it's appropriate to squeeze every dime from people barely getting by so you can build a 3rd house and a 4th car.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 08/17/19.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
[/quote] I live in the real world. Not your fuggin fantasy land.
[/quote]
LOL! My fuggin fantasy land pays me what I'm worth.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

I would suggest that owning and running are two different things, but there are good managers and bad managers for sure.

Owning and running is a bitch.

I am MAGA.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
A dollar raise is two dollars to an employer.

Them dang 1 percenters!
Two dollars don't amount to shyt today either.

Start a business then.
I have one. I'm the only employee. Won't ever hire another unless the business makes enough to afford to hire another at a decent wage. Don't want any slaves nor woud I expect anybody to work for peanuts.

apples to oranges.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by 12344mag

So he was worth the raise but you let him go.............Hard to wrap my head around that one. As hard as it is to find decent employees these days I would think one would want to keep a good one when they found one.

Why didn’t you tell him he was deserving of the raise, but he wasn’t getting it until he was there 6 months?

I would have played it by ear. Every employee is different. Generally, I would have tried to negotiate the 6 month deal, because that's when I generally give new guys a raise if they've worked out. If he was worth it, I would have given it to him. After 90 days, they qualify for health insurance, so why not a dollar raise if he's worth a schit. If he had hadn't come along as quick, I would have told him to wait until 6 months, and we'll revisit it. Some guys learn very quick, and some not at all.

With that said, I've been trying to hire a forklift/ bobcat/ loader operator for 4 months now and can't find anyone. Zero applications. I haven't been very aggressive in looking though. Just Help Wanted signs up. Good people are hard to come by.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I know it’s a odd question but had to let a employee go the other day he kept pestering me for a dollar raise hadn’t been there 3 months I kept telling him to wait for 6 months I new he was worth the raise but he hadn’t been with me long enough to trust so discussing it with my wife when I got to bed I explained how long it took me to get to that amount and wished I could find an old check stub from that period I told her I was going to read awhile and picked up a book I hadn’t read in several years and low and behold when I opened it one of those stubs fell out that my dad had wrote who died in 2016 I own the business now and 3rd generation

the bolded part is not really relevant to another pesons ability to climb the career ladder. Times change and wages go up. A $1 an hour raise is $2000 a year, or $1000 for 6 months. So had you given it to the good employee, it would have set you back $500 over the 3 months. It costs more than that to hire another person before you have trained them at all. Must be some other reason you didn't really want to give him a raise. I would have gone the other route and kept the good employee, which could have been done with other ways than money most likely

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A good boss knows the value of his men, a good man is worth his weight in gold, and a poor one will cost you his weight in gold, the success comes from the time it takes to figure out which one you are dealing with, the ones in the middle cost you oh so much more.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

My bad. I should have said you've obviously never owned a business.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Agreed. What the hell does it matter how long it took him to make an extra buck in 1968. What did you pay for rent then? 200 a month? Well your "valuable" employee buys things with 2019 dollars which are worth damn little. And someone who doesnt truly appreciate or earn every dollar doesn't keep up with what things really cost because he has 40 little people making him half a million a year.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
To answer the OP question-No, I never wonder if a dead person is watching.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I hear that there's plenty in Mississippi that are looking for work.

3 months should be plenty of time for probation.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Meanwhile, back on the ranch with dead people. Here's my story.

Back in 2016, my father was 90 years old. I would go and spend time with him 4 or 5 times a week. I worked for him for 20 years and we were very close.

It was in February, and my wife and I were taking a cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean. An hour after we left port, my brother called me to tell me that Dad suddenly dropped dead. We were stuck on the ship and couldn't get off for 4 more days until we got to St. Maarten and could fly home. It was brutal, all I wanted to do was get home.

"On the third day", early in the morning, I was laying awake in bed and wifey was still asleep. I was laying there, looking across the room towards the hallway near the door to our room. There was a mirror on the wall, and from where I was, I could see the door through the mirror. As I laid there thinking about life and all of the good times, the hallway light came on.......then it went off......then on again........then off again......then on a third time.......then off. No one was there. It's the only time that light went on and off by it's self. Was Dad saying good bye?

Last edited by StoneCutter; 08/17/19.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
'Make what you're worth' and the free market gets suffocated when it's a small business and a greedy [bleep] keeps a tight grip on Every dime so he can do better and better and pay just enough to keep people from leaving.

Seen it too many times.

"Just enough to keep them from leaving" is actually the correct amount to pay. Labor is nothing more than an necessary evil in providing a good or service.

Lots of folks have become rich from good help and many have gone under from bad.

When a good hand has to start shopping around they often sign the new contract before the old boss knew of his loss.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 44 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.