Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The seller just knocked $99,000 off of this place. Easy commute to Lexington,...a bit farther to Cincinnati. Several universities in the area including The University of Kentucky in Lexington. Concealed carry state wide,...no permit necessary. (and not much reason to need it in this area) 95% Caucasian,.....virtually *no* crime.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/141-S-Deerlake-Path-Sadieville-KY-40370/2089370416_zpid/?mmlb=g,0

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranger,

tough choices. Had we not settled here in the NE corner of our wonderful State, I'd have liked to ended up in the Pinetop-Lakeside, Show-Low, Springerville area and was hoping (and pushing a bit) for my wife to obtain her last job there instead of here.

Heber might be a good option too, as I recall +/- 1/2 way between Payson and Show-Low. Seemed like a nice little town.

Wagonwheel I sorta liked as it was county and not in the cities of either Show-Low or Pinetop-Lakeside. And sat right between them. Of course, there was a bit of rif-raf there.

We looked at a property out to the north of Vernon, very reasonably priced at the time. A little remote and some water issues of course. PJ terrain, a bit barren as you know.

AZ is turning a bit blue nowadays as you likely know. Older bro retired to the Flagstaff area a few years back from SoCal and is already thinking a move might be in order to a more conservative and slower growing area of AZ.

We lived in Boulder City NV too, nice place, NO GAMBLING. cops moved the lowlifes right out of town, never saw a homeless person there (2005-2007). Limited growth, great rifle and pistol club when I was there. But HOT in the summer. Loads of public land though and fishing in Mead and Mojave can be great. NV taxes likely less than where you are now. AF (?) base there in LV. Close to all the "fun" but you don't have to live in it.

Good luck when you do get out of Cali.

Geno

PS, Not for you Ranger, but for all the commenters. All this cold and hot stuff is relative, no? Saw -11F in Pinetop, been down to -25F here since we moved in. Hot as in 128F in the place we lived in AZ? Or hot like here when it gets to 100F? You want a nice climate move to friggen SoCal with 20 million other folks.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Social ostracization is a moot point. We are already de facto ostracized. Try being a veteran, a cop, a gun owner, and a (wannabee) hunter* in California.

Even at work the B.S. continues. Just last week one of the rising stars labelled me as " the most likely to commit a mass shooting". His crowd playfully say "Lookout!" whenever I enter the station.

The kids at my daughter's school are are little versions of their parents. Snobs and a-holes. My eldest has been shunned since she told her classmates she was a Trump supporter because Daddy said that Hillary was a very bad person. I am even more proud of her since she stands up to the bullies, even to the point of defending the hapless teacher against the 5th Grade Lord of the Flies crowd. The Principal is nice but ineffective.

The mandatory homosexual education curriculum is already in effect. Most oldest barely processes it and quietly ignores it. The youngest is confused by it. She exclaimed, "My gender is I am a kid!",

I paid $3.37 a gallon for gas at the cheapest place in town. I commute 60 miles each way and cross two toll bridges at $6 each. I am living paycheck to paycheck now but if I can make to a lowe3r cost of living area I will be okay. The quality of a public education

is a major factor but he quality of the community is up there with it. I want to raise my daughters in America, not California.

* Though I am really not much of an accomplished hunter, a lot of guys come up to me when no one is around and ask if I can teach them about hunting. Some are dissuaded by the cost, as their wives rules the household income. Some good men put their families first. There is an underground of emasculated men who long to be free and in the woods.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I want you to be our neighbor.... Don't fall for the Kentucky nonsense Bristoe is trying to pull....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flagstaff

if I had to place a finger on a map for you of the places mentioned above, it would be Pocatello or Idaho Falls.

With mo' preference to Idaho Falls....................

MM

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
wouldn't move girls to Reno for nothing. Might move them to Boulder City, but trouble is right over the hill (Vegas). BC is great if you can take the heat. Flagstaff is expensive, need to wait for the next housing crash. Camp Verde/Cottonwood might be somewhere to look at. Hot in summer, great in winter, doves, quail, turkey on the mountain, draw for deer and elk tags. Being the new kid in high school is hard, unless you are in a high school of Army kids who all move every 3 years.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Sure like that country about an hour west of Flagstaff....

For the don't give a darn culturally rugged type, look at real estate prices around Winnemucca. A while back there was a section of sagebrush hills for $60k. 40s for $10-12. But, if you only seen the country from the highways you'd likely think there's nothing there... They have torn down the brothels... RIP.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think Logan would be a good location for retirement. Easy access to Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Has 4 seasons but the climate is relatively mild w/out extremes of heat or cold. Salt Lake is a zoo but has and International Airport. I am guessing you are seeking a quieter more conservative home and Logan would definitely be that. Mormons make good neighbors.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
https://www.aclu.org/blog/immigrant...passed-law-protect-noncitizens-automatic

Sanctuary state.

Utah is by no means the first state to enact this sensible policy change. We now join states such as Nevada, California, and Washington that have passed so-called 364-day laws, with the goal of reducing the immigration consequences of convictions for noncitizens. But Utah is one of the few Republican-led states to make this change. Utah also surprisingly reached the finish line ahead of both Colorado and New York, two states that adopted similar protections in March.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ranger Utah is a great place to live. I live in Heber City but would not recommend it due to the out of hand growth. The cost of living here is absurd. I moved here from CA as a single dad with two teenage boys. They turned out just fine. The whole Mormon thing is getting blown out of proportion. Let them know you’re not interested and they leave you alone. As stated they a great neighbors. The LDS church does interfere in Utah politics way to much but it’s much better than Democrats in CA.

Cedar City is a great place.

Just my 2 cents.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

if I had to place a finger on a map for you of the places mentioned above, it would be Pocatello or Idaho Falls.

MM

Ive lived in both places, much prefer Poky. Shopping is lousy, but the social scene, the weather, and the sense of community is much, much better. The University adds SOME "culture" (whoohoo, we get the Gatlin brothers this Fall!). That 90 days of cloud cover in winter over IF is a bitch.. That and if you don't work at the site, and aren't mormon, your social circle tends to get very small.

Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

I just saw dutch's post, I can't disagree anymore with the comments on coaches and kids dropping friends that way. I have NEVER EVER seen that. and if it was known members of the church would come rushing in to the defense of the non member kids and parents.

Look, the redhead is a former member, my father in law is a member, my farm manager is a member. All my farm neighbors, except one, are members. My neighbor here in Poky is the Stake President. I live behind the Zion curtain. By choice, and I'm happy to live here. Mormons are, on the whole, good people (like people anywhere, really).

But you, mormons, have blind spots, and I've seen friend's kids get benched as seniors, I've seen girls dump boys when they didn't respond to pressure to attend church, and yes, I've seen the deliberate "recruitment" effort aimed at newcomers and kids. All with the best intentions, and with kindness and good will in their hearts..... but the end result is still the same. Kids not understanding why their friends don't want to hang out anymore, young adults with broken hearts, etc.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Idaho prices are going up rapidly. I love it there, and it's a beautiful place. The Boise area is in what's called the "banana belt" - less snow and more pleasant overall temps than most of the state.

If I hadn't retired in the Reno/Sparks area, I'd have gone there. The only thing I have against Reno is the same thing I have against Idaho - lots of people are fleeing CA, and guess where they're heading?

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

Ive lived in both places, much prefer Poky. Shopping is lousy, but the social scene, the weather, and the sense of community is much, much better. The University adds SOME "culture" (whoohoo, we get the Gatlin brothers this Fall!). That 90 days of cloud cover in winter over IF is a bitch.. That and if you don't work at the site, and aren't mormon, your social circle tends to get very small.

I just saw dutch's post, I can't disagree anymore with the comments on coaches and kids dropping friends that way. I have NEVER EVER seen that. and if it was known members of the church would come rushing in to the defense of the non member kids and parents.

Look, the redhead is a former member, my father in law is a member, my farm manager is a member. All my farm neighbors, except one, are members. My neighbor here in Poky is the Stake President. I live behind the Zion curtain. By choice, and I'm happy to live here. Mormons are, on the whole, good people (like people anywhere, really).

But you, mormons, have blind spots, and I've seen friend's kids get benched as seniors, I've seen girls dump boys when they didn't respond to pressure to attend church, and yes, I've seen the deliberate "recruitment" effort aimed at newcomers and kids. All with the best intentions, and with kindness and good will in their hearts..... but the end result is still the same. Kids not understanding why their friends don't want to hang out anymore, young adults with broken hearts, etc.

way way over played. I think kids these days going to school are looked down upon in my area if they go and wear their religion on their sleeves. Frankly I wish they would stand up for what they believe more. It seems uncool to act mormon at school these days. As for recruitment, that is over played too. I would simply say this. I believe living LDS and my beliefs help me be more free, I believe they preserve my freedom and agency. So if that is the case, if you yourself felt that way wouldn't you want others to know about it too? you would! So don't feel bad for a mormon telling you about their faith and asking you if you are interested. Think of it as hey this guy cares about me. kinda flies in the face of the comments suggesting isolation from non believers. Complain about isolation but then complain about being told of the gospel. I have to say which is it?

as for kids being benched, this is bullshivick, I simply don't believe it, like I said if it was known the Mormon community would run to the defense of the non member if the coach benched them over that. 25% of the people around here are actually practicing the LDS faith. 25% are members but don't go, The other half aren't even members. its all way overblown. The only thing bad that I see about the LDS culture is for some reason and I am being totally honest here. Mormons generally make poor elected leaders. We get mitt romney, harry reid, And the other leaders around me confuse compassion with big government.

someone mentioned Idaho falls. come to think of it, if dealing with the cold of logan was acceptable. I think idaho falls might just be the better choice. Man I love summers in idaho, The rivers up there are amazing. You have many in the area. Yellowstone is also nearby and so are many rivers in the southern montana area. The south fork of the snake is right there. I have floated it many times. saw probaly 15 bald eagles last time. There usually is a duckworth jet boat we see, with its big V8 roaring and twin american flags waving off the back. sounding and looking like pure FREEDOM

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

out my back door.........sorta....... grin

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pocatello any day over Idaho Falls.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

way way over played. I think kids these days going to school are looked down upon in my area if they go and wear their religion on their sleeves. Frankly I wish they would stand up for what they believe more. It seems uncool to act mormon at school these days. As for recruitment, that is over played too. I would simply say this. I believe living LDS and my beliefs help me be more free, I believe they preserve my freedom and agency. So if that is the case, if you yourself felt that way wouldn't you want others to know about it too? you would! So don't feel bad for a mormon telling you about their faith and asking you if you are interested. Think of it as hey this guy cares about me. kinda flies in the face of the comments suggesting isolation from non believers. Complain about isolation but then complain about being told of the gospel. I have to say which is it?

This isn't really the place but, respectfully, I am in your blind spot. You don't get me (and non-members like me) because you don't want to. I get it, you think you have something we would want, too, if we only KNEW! You see the good parts and, to you, they outweigh the bad.

Thing is, we know. We have looked at your beliefs, your religion, your church, and we do not believe what you believe. I've lived behind the Zion curtain for over 30 years. I know the tenets of the faith, including some I'm not supposed to know. A supremely kind member went so far as to find me the Book of Mormon in Dutch....... Yet, we do not believe the good outweighs the bad. As a free agent, I chose not to.

Yes, the things I described above DO happen. As a matter of fact, I have had to move exchange students out of homes because of religious pressure. No, YOU would not do that, but other members DO. I had to develop a "read them the riot act" speech before placing foreign students in mormon (and other deeply religious) homes, and then still watch them like a hawk. It was a constant battle, all was great until the student showed no interest in the faith, and then feelers got hurt and before you know it, the student was labeled "trouble" and couldn't do anything right.

Just remember. We know. We just don't believe there's more good than bad.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Anyone who moves to an urban area in Utah should expect to see very rapid growth. Utah is one of the fastest growing states in the country.

It's going to change a lot in the next 20 years.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Logan (Cache Valley) is getting way too crowded for my liking. I would settle a few miles west, in the Tremonton / Brigham city area. Tax wise, Utah is not friendly to retirees. They tax everything, Social Security, 401k, pension, etc. I would consider Wyoming for lower taxes and a lower cost of living.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
SLC is very left wing, regardless of the Church influence, sold out to the Federal gov. long time ago or grant money UofU etc. Even at that SLC residents believe Ut. ends at Payson in the south, Parleys Canyon, on East, Brigham on the North, and the airport on the west. How ever left the city is Park City makes it look conservative.

Anything north of Brigham city is people who settled there because the Church had gone astray, and are more Catholic? than the Pope. Logan, is a college town, and if you want a students priority above yours, move there.
Pocatello is also college with and some fixed heavy industry.
Idaho Falls is a large drinking community with a medium agricultural problem, drinking part started by the Navys presence at the National Reactor Testing Station. (they have some really good shooting schools there Benny Cooley)

Twin Falls is also very left wing with large amount of migrant workers at the Chobani yogurt factory, and related ag. concerns in the area. Recently had several rapes by moslims of underage girls. . Not sure if they got lynched or not,

Filer and Hagerman areas would be could choices, as well as Idaho City outside of Boise although the visuals are nothing like central utah. If you really want to get away the area above Elko and Wells is outstanding, The Ruby range in Wells and Humbolt wilderness area west of Jackpot.

Heber is more of Park City but if you keep going north towards Beaver and Ft. Bridger in Wyo. it pretty cool. Getting into Butch Cassidy and Sundance country hideout.

if you like winters, Dubois, Cody or Thermopiles are great.

Alway enjoy traveling and doing business in the midwest. When they found out I wasn't LSD but grew up there, they would take me in, rehabilitate so sympathetic, I could sell anything. Even though I wasn't a salesman.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

658 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,746
Posts18,514,559
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.