-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
suprised anyone is saying ogden. ogden isn't a place I would want to live. Its an old town without much going for it. Its also got tons of crime and gang bangers. The cheapest houses that are located in a major city are in ogden. That is for a reason. I am surprised anyone is saying move to kentucky. holy crap honestly if you like mountains, rivers, streams, public lands. hunting, etc. kentucky would be like being sentenced to outer darkness. But that is pretty much the same anywhere east of the rockies. the country all looks the same pretty much. Its mostly private too, know someone, pay someone, or buy the land is the motto.

I grew up in texas. the place has essentially no public lands, and as a result I would never ever move back because of it.

BTW I just dropped my kid tonight off at utah state in logan. I have to say the logan valley is pretty gorgeous.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
holy crap honestly if you like mountains, rivers, streams, public lands. hunting, etc. kentucky would be like being sentenced to outer darkness.

No rivers in Kentucky,...that's right,.....except for the Ohio River, the Mississippi River, the Kentucky River, the Big Sandy River, the Laurel River, Green River, the Cumberland River, Nolin River, the Barren River, the Red River, Rough River, The Licking River, The Tennessee River,.....I'm sure I forgot a few.

Don't get me started on the creeks and streams.

The confluence of the Mississippi and the Ohio rivers is in western Kentucky. If you understand geography, that should tell you something.

Kentucky is located where two of the biggest watersheds in the country meet. This state is shot through with rivers, streams, and creeks.

We've got a few mountains, also.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I like Kentucky Some really good sporting clays courses there. Elk Creek having some of the best terrain for sporting clays anywhere. Hunting is good, fishing is good, and cost of living is good.

As far as mountains go technically yes there are mountains there, however they are tiny in relative terms of mountains.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like alot of folks who grew up on the west coast or west of the Mississippi you couldn’t pay me enough to move back east.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Currently live and was raised a majority of my life in Logan, Utah.

Born in Alaska. I have also lived in San Bernadino and Hesperia California, Salt Lake City, Price, UT, Fargo, N.D., Cheyenne, WY, Kansas City and Hutchinson, KS.

All have had their Pros and Cons. Life has been good in all locations.

Logan is a great place and I will retire here as it is truly "home" for me. It is beautiful and gives great access to the rest of Northern Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming. It is growing steadily and will continue to grow which is sad, as it will become more like the rest of the Wasatch Front, "Southern California North" as I like to call it. Commuting on I-15 has really gotten nasty the last few years (I drive several times a month down to the Orem/Provo area for work) and it will only get worse. Aside from the growth, the only other thing about Logan that I would change is the winter inversions. The topography and the predominant winds allow cold, stagnant air to be trapped frequently during the winter making it pretty grey, dreary, and unhealthy from a respiratory standpoint. Fresh storms will clean things out but I have seen them last 2-3 weeks at a time. It is not uncommon in January, February, and early March to have it 20-30 degrees warmer 4-5000 feet higher in the mountains with clear skies! As the valley grows it will continue to get worse. About all that can really be done as I see it is 1. Ban wood-burning stoves and fireplaces 2. Get rid of all the dairies (big part of Cache Valley's heritage) and 3. Encourage use of electric vehicles for driving in the valley. Just saying that makes me feel like a Colorado liberal but I don't know what else can be done and even that will not take care of what predisposes us to the problem in the first place.

Southern Utah is great with all of the National Parks, scenery, etc. St. George is too hot for me in the summer but I could certainly be talked into spending my winters down in that area as I get older. The growth in St. George is an even bigger problem than in Logan. Both have become major metropolitan areas in the last decade or so. St. George in the 1960's-1970's was really a hidden "gem" but has now been discovered by Californians and those silver-haired people!

Cedar City is a nice town, only an hour north of St. George, but located at 5000+ feet elevation. Winter is a bit different than St. George and the wind can blow at times!!! Southern Utah State University is a great school. Different feel than Cache Valley though... less green in the summer and less water but you are still real close to all the good stuff down south and you can escape easily to St. George, Mesquite, and Las Vegas for a winter reprieve easier than Logan. In Logan, you drive to Salt Lake and fly to Cabo or Hawaii!

Price was a nice place if you don't mind being just a little more isolated from the bigger cities (70 minutes to Provo on Hwy 6). I lived there for 9 years and really enjoyed it. The LDS population is not quite as high there if that is a big deal for you.Coal Mining was huge in the area back in the day and the area attracted many Greek, Italian, and other Eastern European immigrants as well as the usual Scandinavian groups so common in Utah. They have some great ethnic festivals in the summer that I really miss now that I live up north. Access to all of that which Southern Utah offers is easily accessible from the north which is nice but you can fly out of Salt Lake City in 2 hours as well. Flaming Gorge is 2 1/2 hours to the NE and the Western Slope of Colorado is 2 1/2 hours to the SW. It is a great location!!!
I have never spent more time outdoors in more interesting, diverse locations than I did while living in Price, Utah. Housing can be much cheaper than in St. George or in Logan as well. Tikkanut's pictures do not lie. If I were not from Logan originally, I would still be in Price. It's not perfect, but it is pretty darn good if you love the outdoors with easy accessibilty.

Pocatello, Idaho would be good. It is close to Yellowstone and the Snake River. It is probably a little warmer than Logan, but not much. There you trade the inversions of Logan for Snake River fog in the winter and some wind as well. I'd give it a try though! Sorry to hear about all the issues in Twin Falls now. It historically has been a nice area, too. Agriculture seems to bring the immigrant issues though these days.

Evanston, Wyoming is not a bad place despite what others have said. Most just drive through on I-80 and never stop. My father and his two brothers chose to retire there. The brothers are still there and very happy. You get the simplicity that life in Wyoming brings as well as the tax advantages. Housing and utilities are inexpensive. Salt Lake City and Ogden are barely an hour away for Sam's Club, Costco, the airport, sports, high-end dining, and major medical care. Hunting and fishing for residents of Wyoming is without equal in the West (except for maybe Alaska) and much more accessible. My father is comfortable in Logan now (83 and significant health issues) but given the choice, he would rather be back in Evanston. Interestingly, I never felt like the wind blew that much there like much of the rest of Wyoming. There are no inversions there either and 10 degrees on a still, sunny morning felt much warmer there than in Logan FWIW!!! Rock Springs, Rawlins, Larimie, etc are totally different animals.

Hope my observations help. I like them all! My grandparents left Logan to move to Vacaville late in their years in the early 1990's to escape Logan's winters and be close to Travis AFB for more extensive health care if needed. I thought they were crazy but understood their thought process. I've often wondered if they would do the same now!!!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomP
When I lived in Smithfield (just north of Logan) there was a private shooting range at the bottom of Smithfield Dry Canyon, spent lots of evenings there. The field below it was winter range for mule deer, used to count over a hundred on a December evening. It's now a housing development. I'm going to say that Cache County is the victim of its own successes. If I were to move there now, I'd go to Preston (maybe - I haven't been there in a long time - might be a similar story). There is some fine fishing but you have to look for it...

Welcome to the 'Fire! And thanks to everyone for the advice. Please keep these personal observations coming. Your insights help to color in the map of the area.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My final observations for this thread:

No place is perfect. There will always be compromises and balances, like accepting larger city conveniences despite congestion and crime. The religion thing in this thread has been completely overblown. Can you find instances of ostracizing? Sure. But you'd have to look for them to find them. I've lived in the Deep South Bible Belt as well as Utah, and for my money, the South is MUCH worse as far as religious oversaturation.

If you move here from almost anywhere, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the cost of living, home prices, taxes, and (perhaps most important) the climate. And that does not even begin to address the incomparable scenery. You might be upset by our wacky liquor laws, the effect of Johnny Condoseed's efforts, or our winter air quality. But it's all worth it. If it isn't, you'd be perfectly free to move away.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TomP
I'm going to say that Cache County is the victim of its own successes...

Very well put. Beautiful valley, just running out of empty spots.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Currently live and was raised a majority of my life in Logan, Utah.

Born in Alaska. I have also lived in San Bernadino and Hesperia California, Salt Lake City, Price, UT, Fargo, N.D., Cheyenne, WY, Kansas City and Hutchinson, KS.

All have had their Pros and Cons. Life has been good in all locations.

Logan is a great place and I will retire here as it is truly "home" for me. It is beautiful and gives great access to the rest of Northern Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming. It is growing steadily and will continue to grow which is sad, as it will become more like the rest of the Wasatch Front, "Southern California North" as I like to call it. Commuting on I-15 has really gotten nasty the last few years (I drive several times a month down to the Orem/Provo area for work) and it will only get worse. Aside from the growth, the only other thing about Logan that I would change is the winter inversions. The topography and the predominant winds allow cold, stagnant air to be trapped frequently during the winter making it pretty grey, dreary, and unhealthy from a respiratory standpoint. Fresh storms will clean things out but I have seen them last 2-3 weeks at a time. It is not uncommon in January, February, and early March to have it 20-30 degrees warmer 4-5000 feet higher in the mountains with clear skies! As the valley grows it will continue to get worse. About all that can really be done as I see it is 1. Ban wood-burning stoves and fireplaces 2. Get rid of all the dairies (big part of Cache Valley's heritage) and 3. Encourage use of electric vehicles for driving in the valley. Just saying that makes me feel like a Colorado liberal but I don't know what else can be done and even that will not take care of what predisposes us to the problem in the first place.

Southern Utah is great with all of the National Parks, scenery, etc. St. George is too hot for me in the summer but I could certainly be talked into spending my winters down in that area as I get older. The growth in St. George is an even bigger problem than in Logan. Both have become major metropolitan areas in the last decade or so. St. George in the 1960's-1970's was really a hidden "gem" but has now been discovered by Californians and those silver-haired people!

Cedar City is a nice town, only an hour north of St. George, but located at 5000+ feet elevation. Winter is a bit different than St. George and the wind can blow at times!!! Southern Utah State University is a great school. Different feel than Cache Valley though... less green in the summer and less water but you are still real close to all the good stuff down south and you can escape easily to St. George, Mesquite, and Las Vegas for a winter reprieve easier than Logan. In Logan, you drive to Salt Lake and fly to Cabo or Hawaii!

Price was a nice place if you don't mind being just a little more isolated from the bigger cities (70 minutes to Provo on Hwy 6). I lived there for 9 years and really enjoyed it. The LDS population is not quite as high there if that is a big deal for you.Coal Mining was huge in the area back in the day and the area attracted many Greek, Italian, and other Eastern European immigrants as well as the usual Scandinavian groups so common in Utah. They have some great ethnic festivals in the summer that I really miss now that I live up north. Access to all of that which Southern Utah offers is easily accessible from the north which is nice but you can fly out of Salt Lake City in 2 hours as well. Flaming Gorge is 2 1/2 hours to the NE and the Western Slope of Colorado is 2 1/2 hours to the SW. It is a great location!!!
I have never spent more time outdoors in more interesting, diverse locations than I did while living in Price, Utah. Housing can be much cheaper than in St. George or in Logan as well. Tikkanut's pictures do not lie. If I were not from Logan originally, I would still be in Price. It's not perfect, but it is pretty darn good if you love the outdoors with easy accessibilty.

Pocatello, Idaho would be good. It is close to Yellowstone and the Snake River. It is probably a little warmer than Logan, but not much. There you trade the inversions of Logan for Snake River fog in the winter and some wind as well. I'd give it a try though! Sorry to hear about all the issues in Twin Falls now. It historically has been a nice area, too. Agriculture seems to bring the immigrant issues though these days.

Evanston, Wyoming is not a bad place despite what others have said. Most just drive through on I-80 and never stop. My father and his two brothers chose to retire there. The brothers are still there and very happy. You get the simplicity that life in Wyoming brings as well as the tax advantages. Housing and utilities are inexpensive. Salt Lake City and Ogden are barely an hour away for Sam's Club, Costco, the airport, sports, high-end dining, and major medical care. Hunting and fishing for residents of Wyoming is without equal in the West (except for maybe Alaska) and much more accessible. My father is comfortable in Logan now (83 and significant health issues) but given the choice, he would rather be back in Evanston. Interestingly, I never felt like the wind blew that much there like much of the rest of Wyoming. There are no inversions there either and 10 degrees on a still, sunny morning felt much warmer there than in Logan FWIW!!! Rock Springs, Rawlins, Larimie, etc are totally different animals.

Hope my observations help. I like them all! My grandparents left Logan to move to Vacaville late in their years in the early 1990's to escape Logan's winters and be close to Travis AFB for more extensive health care if needed. I thought they were crazy but understood their thought process. I've often wondered if they would do the same now!!!

that is the most accurate summation of a variety of areas I can think of.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Let's see if I can get the picture to post. For some of us there's a problem with "East of the Mississippi". It's called too many people.

[Linked Image]

Geno

PS, yes there are "mountains" of a sort back there too. Some of them are even over 6000' feet above sea level at their peak. whistle

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Let's see if I can get the picture to post. For some of us there's a problem with "East of the Mississippi". It's called too many people.

[Linked Image]

Geno

PS, yes there are "mountains" of a sort back there too. Some of them are even over 6000' feet above sea level at their peak. whistle

Hurry, take that down! They'll start thinking the west is all open space.... We just ain't got no yard lights!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Utah is not a four-letter word. I prefer Ogden to Logan or Cedar City because Ogden has much better shopping, dining, and other options. Logan is also one of if not THE coldest part of Utah, just as St George on the opposite corner is the hottest.

Ogden gets about five days a year at or above 100 degrees and about five days below zero. Access to hunting, fishing, skiing, and camping within minutes. I came here almost 35 years ago and I am never leaving.

The smaller the town, the more the Mormon percentage, but while they will outnumber you they are not oppressive. Just tell your neighbors that you aren't interested and that's it. Ogden is about 50/50 LDS and not. They make wonderful neighbors. The church does affect state politics to a degree, but that's actually lessening over time as the population changes.

The downside? Utah is rapidly running out of water. We depend totally on snowfall for water, and with our exploding population (both birth and incomers like you) it is getting pretty near critical. If you move here, consider an existing house in an older neighborhood over new construction - to be sure you'll have water rights.

Yes. Make sure you have some kind of guarantee to water and it's in the sales contract. If it's not you will be paying hugely for it, IF you can get it at all. My brother got his contract years ago and he is doing OK but now every drop is spoken for. Water rights are the only thing that keeps Utah from being overrun by Californians. They show up and they just assume water is a given. It's not.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
people saying anywhere near the mississippi and everywhere east. All I gotta say is you must have never been out here. The east is all pretty much the same and boring. as for water I think we actually have plenty for a while in utah. I still see farmers watering plowed fields in the rain. When that stops happening then I will say we have a shortage of water.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You can be in North Central Montana.....basically the end of the earth....and still have a Mormon or a JW come and visit you.

Hell, just be polite....ask em how the weather is....how the crops are coming along.
Go where you will and they'll still find you. I tell them what the Bible REALLY says about Jesus and they don't come back. It doesn't jive with what they teach.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You can be in North Central Montana.....basically the end of the earth....and still have a Mormon or a JW come and visit you.

Hell, just be polite....ask em how the weather is....how the crops are coming along.
Go where you will and they'll still find you. I tell them what the Bible REALLY says about Jesus and they don't come back. It doesn't jive with what they teach.

what does the bible really say about jesus? you know we believe in the bible too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=79S]Like alot of folks who grew up on the west coast or west of the Mississippi you couldn’t pay me enough to move back east. [/quote

] the idea of moving back east is crazy...…..I know bristoe loves Kentucky.....but the eastern culture is to different.....

the saying is...go west young man......not fuuccking east...…...bob

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
people saying anywhere near the mississippi and everywhere east. All I gotta say is you must have never been out here. The east is all pretty much the same and boring. as for water I think we actually have plenty for a while in utah. I still see farmers watering plowed fields in the rain. When that stops happening then I will say we have a shortage of water.

Might be because if they don't use that water they'll lose the rights to it when it's not a bumper year?

Oh, and there's some interesting places back east. They just don't generally go on and on like ours out west here do.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by Valsdad

[Linked Image]

Geno

Hurry, take that down! They'll start thinking the west is all open space.... We just ain't got no yard lights!

Well, there's that................and the fact that the liberals out here require our street lamps, parking lot lights, etc to be shielded from above and low intensity. Thank the powers that be for liberals in this case...............................

The ALIENS have a much greater chance of hitting the population centers back east when they attack . eek

Geno

PS, careful readers will notice I didn't say "if" they attack wink

In it is contentment

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe
holy crap honestly if you like mountains, rivers, streams, public lands. hunting, etc. kentucky would be like being sentenced to outer darkness.

No rivers in Kentucky,...that's right,.....except for the Ohio River, the Mississippi River, the Kentucky River, the Big Sandy River, the Laurel River, Green River, the Cumberland River, Nolin River, the Barren River, the Red River, Rough River, The Licking River, The Tennessee River,.....I'm sure I forgot a few.

Don't get me started on the creeks and streams.

The confluence of the Mississippi and the Ohio rivers is in western Kentucky. If you understand geography, that should tell you something.

Kentucky is located where two of the biggest watersheds in the country meet. This state is shot through with rivers, streams, and creeks.

We've got a few mountains, also.

Daniel Boone National Forest is cool, and Red River Gorge is absolutely awesome. Lots of people are ignorant of what is available "back east"

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BGG,

I'm aware. I lived near and hunted and fished in the Allegheny NF in NW PA. (one of the few darker spots in the Eastern part of that pic). Lots of other cool places back east also.

I'm also aware of all those lights and what they're associated with.............................people.

Pretty dark looking in NW MT........................you enjoy that I guess?

In it is contentment

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 41rem, 007FJ, 6mmCreedmoor, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 10 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 878 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,312
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.