Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've lived a number of places, and pretty much liked them all...

West suburbs of Portland, OR about 35 years ago. Dismal winters, great people, glorious spring, summer and fall, access to mountains, beaches, and much more. Probably wouldn't be high on my list of places to move to, but I sure enjoyed the time I spent there.

Minden, NV, about 25 years ago. Right on the east side of the Sierras, and there is a green ribbon about half a mile wide at the base of the mountains. Had a glorious view of the Sierras, a gravel pit to shoot in within a quarter mile, really interesting people. Lots to like. Strong winds in the summer. Dinner and a show at Tahoe was quite affordable. The Walker River was easily accessible.

St. Joseph, in SW Michigan. Garden spot of the midwest. Breezes off Lake Michigan keep it cooler in the summer, though it does get lake effect snow in winter. Plentiful wildlife, and plenty of boating and fishing opportunities. Kids went to a real first class high school and got a great education. It's right across the river from Benton Harbor, which is a bit of a different story.

Now I'm in Layton, UT and I think it's the best place I've lived.

Rocky is right about the water. It is the limiting resource. There have been serious conflicts over water rights. A place with an old well is an advantage, but not a make or break situation. Older wells have rights over newer wells. Some areas in SE Idaho had to quit pumping irrigation water, because older wells many miles away had prior rights, and the aquifer was being depleted.

Good luck with your search. If you're headed out this way, drop me a PM and I will show you around a bit if you like.

You might want to check:
*Vernal. Smallish town, NE corner of the state.
*Tooele. Smallish, but with an Army Depot. Only 20 minutes to the airport, 40 minutes to SLC.
*Smithfield. Small town north of Logan. Don't let them kid you about the climate. It's colder than here, because of the altitude, but I grew up in SE Idaho and I think it is no worse than that, and maybe milder.
*Payson. Mostly a bedroom community south of Provo.
*St. George. Also known as St. Geezer because so many people retire there. Hot for a while in summer, but much milder winters than here. If you're tired of snow, this is your destination.
*Huntsville. Beautiful spot, up in a high valley. Borders Pineview Reservoir. Harsher winters, easy access to shopping in Ogden.

Last edited by denton; 08/19/19.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Let's see if I can get the picture to post. For some of us there's a problem with "East of the Mississippi". It's called too many people.

[Linked Image]

Geno

PS, yes there are "mountains" of a sort back there too. Some of them are even over 6000' feet above sea level at their peak. whistle

purty dark around my turf......I like it......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Bruce, I like that one better.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
BGG,

I'm aware. I lived near and hunted and fished in the Allegheny NF in NW PA. (one of the few darker spots in the Eastern part of that pic). Lots of other cool places back east also.

I'm also aware of all those lights and what they're associated with.............................people.

Pretty dark looking in NW MT........................you enjoy that I guess?

I didn't move here by accident. smile

Just saying, it's not all cities and ghettoes back east.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
BGG,

I'm aware. I lived near and hunted and fished in the Allegheny NF in NW PA. (one of the few darker spots in the Eastern part of that pic). Lots of other cool places back east also.

I'm also aware of all those lights and what they're associated with.............................people.

Pretty dark looking in NW MT........................you enjoy that I guess?

I didn't move here by accident. smile

Just saying, it's not all cities and ghettoes back east.

I figured the bold part out a long time ago wink

You're right, it's not ALL bad back there. Matter of fact if things had gone differently I might be in N Arkansas now if my wife would have agreed to moving back east 10-12 years ago. I'd have gone by myself if I'd have gone. Was willing to take a downgrade at work in order to take advantage of the lower cost of living and way more hunting opportunities for deer and turkeys and such (not much in the way of elk, sheep, bison etc there though). But, she put her foot down on staying west of the Rockies to be closer to Mom.

I'd have to have access to a large National Forest though. 5000, 10000 acre parcels of State and Private ( like timber company) hunting lands are called wheat fields and pastures out here. Walk across them in an afternoon of hunting. grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

right now......92* in Podunk........8% humidity.........

lickin' my lips & pickin' my nose........... blush

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by denton
*St. George. Also known as St. Geezer because so many people retire there.

Hey, Denton, I resemble that. laugh

I'll add that, in addition to the beautiful surrounding geography, St. George has a high concentration of attractive women of all ages, if that kind of "scenery" is important.

Again, just my observation and opinion.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by denton
*St. George. Also known as St. Geezer because so many people retire there.

Hey, Denton, I resemble that. laugh

I'll add that, in addition to the beautiful surrounding geography, St. George has a high concentration of attractive women of all ages, if that kind of "scenery" is important.

Again, just my observation and opinion.

Paul

Even at an advanced age...................

that type of scenery should be important........

always, even for married fellas.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tikkanut

right now......92* in Podunk........8% humidity.........

lickin' my lips & pickin' my nose........... blush

Right now.....93* in Vacaville...........38% huhmidity

scratchin' my parts and sweating lightly

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ranger Green,

If for some horrible reason you decide to stay in Cali, Modoc county will welcome you and your vote.

Presently 88F after a high around 90F, 13% humidity, and a 14 MPH breeze keeping the skeeters down a bit.

Plenty of public land for recreating, even hunting if you can draw a tag.

I hope you find your dream location. Cali likely isn't it.

Geno

In it is contentment

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (21, 160user, 1936M71, 44mc, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 12,127 guests, and 1,077 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,036
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.