Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Looking for some help to value a Pre War 1937 Win 70 in 30/06 that looks to be all original outside of the Redfield base and being tapped.

Stock has zero chips or cracks, bluing is very nice outside of where it was carried on hinge plate. Zero rust anywhere and bore is excellent, shiny and very crisp. This one was carried more than shot, cycles and locks up smooth and tight.

Did search on GB but nothing really falls in line with his one. Would appreciate feedback and thoughts on value to list or trade. Thanks!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Jpterry; 08/20/19.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
$600-$750 easy around here.The stock is actually probably worth $500 itself! The worst thing besides the extra hole is the rear sight is on backwards. It may be that way for scope clearance or there may be two small holes on the top of the barrel under it for a scope block?

Last edited by sbrmike; 08/20/19.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Yes, it did have a scope on it and I haven't messed with it since taking it off. Should be simple ton use sight pusher to remove and flip back around. Just glad original owner kept it vs using a plug.

If stock is worth $500...I would hope the rest of tight is worth more than couple hundred bucks.

Last edited by Jpterry; 08/20/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The stock is definitely worth $500.00 easily, an uncut, unaltered, prewar stock, but you will spend at least $200 for an altered replacement. Most guns are worth more parted out than whole. I am not suggesting to part this one out but that unaltered stock definitely has value.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's been hunted and has wear. It's been drilled and tapped so its collector value is reduced greatly. It's a 30-06 which means you have the most common clambering, even more so in prewar. But it is a nice looking prewar model all the same. As a whole gun you could probably get 900-1100 if you held out for it. I think you could get 900 pretty easily though.

IC B2

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks. Definitely was hunted, but back in 1930s I think anyone who spent money on a rifle was a true hunter and used them as tools. This one was definitely taken care of though and feel it's in very good shape for 83yrs old.

I'm surprised being a first year production rifle wouldn't add more value to it.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Actually, it’s not a first year production gun as it was serialized in Oct. ‘37. There were approx. 4,000 M70’s made in 1936. The extra hole really hurts the gun and it doesn’t have a lot of condition. Many people looking for an early M70 would not even consider this one.

What did you pay for it?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I disagree with not considering it. It's a matter of economics and use. Would a genuine stick it in a gun safe and let it collect dust collector be interested? No. But it still has plenty of interest and value as a classic useable hunting rifle.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I traded into it awhile back as part of a package deal but I'm I'm good shape on it.

Maybe the pics are not clear enough, outside of the hinge plate, the bluing is excellent, bore is near perfect and stock has no chips or cracks. Understand about the drill/tap but surprised on condition comment with 80+ year old rifle. What else stands out on the condition?

Most books and sites refer to 1937 as first year production but understand they made couple dozen in 1935 and thought I read couple thousand in 1936.

Anyway, doesn't seem to be much interest in it with the group here so will throw it on GB and see what happens. Thanks for the replies.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey King, I wouldn't argue with you about what he has. A nice early shooter, but this is the Winchester Collectors page and what Poconjack is telling you is absolutely correct considering that. It's only original once after that, you have a collection of parts or a shooter. There's value in both but they are very different.

Last edited by Bobmar; 08/21/19.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B3

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Did another search and this is the only Model 70 Pre War 30/06 that's sold in last 90days on GB that I can find. It's been drilled/tapped and stock was cut for peep sight.

It sold BIN for $1400 so looks like there are guys out there wanting them and still desirable. Thanks again for comments and will take better pics and list it later this week.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825192480

This pre war has aftermarket synthetic stock and been rebored and still sold for $900 BIN.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/822741003

The other one is drilled/tapped 270 that sold for $1600 and the other is listed for $3500+ but hasn't sold. Value is based on what someone will pay but based on these listings I feel mine is definitely worth as much as first one that sold for $1400. Not sure what I'm missing.

Last edited by Jpterry; 08/21/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The first one you listed there is super clean with only that extra hole. The Lyman 48 is also a plus. Yours although a decent gun is in no where near the condition as that one, plus the bolt handle has been polished. Yours will sell quick at $750 and may bring $900 if you wait long enough.

That second listing is as phony as they come. That gun was never a 300 H&H, who are they kidding. I don't know who paid $900 for that one, as that was a $500 -$600 gun.

Take a look on gunsinternational at honest M70's to get an idea of pirces; that is classifieds not auctions. Auctions can and do have shill bidders.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So now drill and tapped is ok and cutting stock is ok?? That was the whole collector vs non collector comment.

And the one that sold for $1400 is definitely not much cleaner than mine, not sure what that's all about. Anyway, I have no doubt it would sell immediately at $750-900 but that ain't happening.

I didn't see any pre war rifles when I initially searched on GB in line with mine but not I have. That gives me a good idea now on value. But thanks anyway.

Got what I needed from this thread...thanks for replies Glad to know it's all original outside of the drill/tap and will l list it accordingly. That was main thing I needed to know.

Last edited by Jpterry; 08/21/19.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First one is a 4 digit which makes it earlier and to some more valuable.

Also, yours has bare metal showing on the floor plate and trigger guard. That one doesn't. Plus it has no Nick's or dents showing in the wood as yours does. It's finish is also superior to yours based on the photos.

J
Jpterry Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by KingCobb
First one is a 4 digit which makes it earlier and to some more valuable.

Also, yours has bare metal showing on the floor plate and trigger guard. That one doesn't. Plus it has no Nick's or dents showing in the wood as yours does. It's finish is also superior to yours based on the photos.

Both manufactured in same year. He states it has nicks in the wood, that one has significant bluing loss midway around the barrel, stock has been altered and been drilled/tapped. And it wasn't an auction with shill bidders... It was a BIN from a member with over 240 buys.

Might be hard to accept, but drill/tapped pre wars that are not safe queens are bringing $1400-1600. I also checked on GunsInternational per the recommendation above. Pre wars that have been drill/tapped are selling for even more over there.

This is my last post in this thread. I definitely know alot more about Pre War 70s than I did a few days ago. Thanks.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
The first rifle will clean up better.
It will be listed and sold by Frontier Guns on GI in a month for 1K more...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I don't understand asking people's opinions and then arguing with them.
One asks for honest opinions and he likely will get some. It is what it is. No reason to get one's feeling hurt. It's not like they are saying your wife/daughter/sister are ugly or lacking in morals.
If you want to know what the gun will bring, sell it on a site where they seem to be selling for relatively high prices. Then you will know.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^This.
You got some very good insight from some incredibly knowledgeable Winchester aficionados ... for free. And you want to kick sand in their face?
Put it on gunbroker with no reserve and a 14 day auction. You will find out exactly what it is “worth.” You can then come back here and rub everyone’s nose in it ... or take your licks.
Cheers.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh I'm thinking he's way more into this rifle than he says he is and was hoping you all would reenforce his belief it was worth 2grand. You guys kicked him in the nuts with good honest facts. As AKwolverine said put up for auction and let the boys on gunbroker settle this.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Agreed it is bad form to ask advise/opinions and the argue with the giver, not likely to get any help the next time around. If you're mind is made up why ask, go ahead and do what you're wanting to do. Buyers will soon let you know your guns value in the marketplace.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,643 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.