Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
It is a bit discouraging to see this out of a $1800 rifle with another $900 in optics and mounts - however this is my big game rifle for Mule Deer, Antelope, Elk, Bear so if I "have" to shoot 150 partitions - there are worse problems in the world. Also, I have the NF for a reason - if the partition is going to drop more over distance, then I'll just spin the turrets another couple clicks as needed...lol

I hear you there but the difference between the bullets you mention probably doesn’t amount to even a couple of clicks really. All good and honestly the 150 Partition is a beast in a 270. That’s a great combo, probably packs excellent as well.

What happened to the Tikka 6.5 you were crushing stuff with?

Semper Fi
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are the Accubond and the ELD-X the only 2 boattails you have tried?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
... I worked up and have settled on 150 partition, 56.9 of H4831sc, Win Brass, CCI 200 primers for an average of 2990 FPS and on three separate range trips will put 5 in under 1" at 100 with velocity and BC checked/verified at both 400 and 600 yard gongs. (Should be a heck of a mule deer, antelope, elk load) ...

Never experienced the FB vs BT phenomenon. However, this dog ^^^^^^ will hunt...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
It is a bit discouraging to see this out of a $1800 rifle with another $900 in optics and mounts - however this is my big game rifle for Mule Deer, Antelope, Elk, Bear so if I "have" to shoot 150 partitions - there are worse problems in the world. Also, I have the NF for a reason - if the partition is going to drop more over distance, then I'll just spin the turrets another couple clicks as needed...lol

I hear you there but the difference between the bullets you mention probably doesn’t amount to even a couple of clicks really. All good and honestly the 150 Partition is a beast in a 270. That’s a great combo, probably packs excellent as well.

I also wonder what happened to the tikka 6.5. Hairing, it doesnt sound like this new rifle shoots half as good as that tikka. Whats up?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had several rifles in different calibers, through the years, that preferred flat based bullets. No big deal. Go for it with what it likes.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have experienced the flat base bullets being better in one of my rifles.

The only conclusion I could come to was the twist. The longer boattail bullet of the same wt as the flat base didn't fly as well.

right or wrong that was my basic conclusion.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
140TSX's are an exceptional "all-around" bullet for the 270. Mule-Deer, Whitetail, elk (bull and cow), caribou, coyotes, and pronghorn off the top of my head.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I also wonder what happened to the tikka 6.5. Hairing, it doesnt sound like this new rifle shoots half as good as that tikka. Whats up?

The 6.5 tikka sets in the safe....I know at anytime I can take it out and put 139 scenars into little clusters - its actually kind of so consistent its boring...lol (It does wear a 6x SS now)

The 270 came about in a round about way...My 11 year old son was going through the photo album and was looking at the last Elk I killed (5 point back in 2008 in Idahos Selway Country) I had killed it with a 270 I grew up hunting with since I was 12 (was 23 in 2008) anyways it is the last Elk I killed. (Im on a long dryspell that has forced me to kill big mule deer) He ask what I shot it with and I told him a 270. He then asks what I hunt with now and I said lately a 6.5 creedmoor. Looks at me like a kid does and says, well if you want to kill another elk, probably should use a 270???? Make sense right??? So that lead me on the search - I had "retired" the Win 70 270 I had all those years, and really wanted a nice, ltwt, carbon rifle....Long story short - here we are.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

The 6.5 tikka sets in the safe....I know at anytime I can take it out and put 139 scenars into little clusters - its actually kind of so consistent its boring...lol (It does wear a 6x SS now)

The 270 came about in a round about way...My 11 year old son was going through the photo album and was looking at the last Elk I killed (5 point back in 2008 in Idahos Selway Country) I had killed it with a 270 I grew up hunting with since I was 12 (was 23 in 2008) anyways it is the last Elk I killed. (Im on a long dryspell that has forced me to kill big mule deer) He ask what I shot it with and I told him a 270. He then asks what I hunt with now and I said lately a 6.5 creedmoor. Looks at me like a kid does and says, well if you want to kill another elk, probably should use a 270???? Make sense right??? So that lead me on the search - I had "retired" the Win 70 270 I had all those years, and really wanted a nice, ltwt, carbon rifle....Long story short - here we are.

I see said the blind man. Sounds like you need to un-retire your lucky 270 and sell the expensive one... grin Scotty and I both know what those model 70's are capable of... Especially when you have a good one..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
BT's are more finicky... however they have a LITTLE less drop at longer hunting ranges (300-500 yards)

Thats been my experience..some rifles just don't "like" them as much as others, and like one brand over another. The difference in BC and trajectory over normal hunting distances( under 300 yards) is literally not noticeable in field conditions...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Can't argue with that logic!! I was on a few-year elk drought until I took a 270 into the woods last year. Was it a factor? Who can say?

But there's no handicap in shooting Partitions that well at the distances you were shooting them. I've certainly got stockpiles of bullets that I wanted to get to shoot in certain guns, but could never make them work. Take your Magical 270 into the woods and prove your son right.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Take a look at the popular benchrest bullets.
Those OCD dudes don't do anything without good reason.
When pure accuracy, and nothing but accuracy is the goal,
The bullets are only pointy on one end.

Find me a 600/1K Benchrest shooter running flat base bullets.......

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
Longer range shooters generally shoot the boattails because of wind drift. Difference in drop means nothing but a couple more clicks of elevation. Short range shooters use flat base because they are more accurate and the wind at short range does not affect them to much. That being said I have a couple rifles that prefer flat base. A friend of mine that shot national competition for years said he believes that it’s because of more bearing surface on most of the flat base bullets. Ed k

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’ve never had a rifle that likes boat tails better than plain base bullets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I’ve never had a rifle that likes boat tails better than plain base bullets.

I'm wonder if bullet length has anything to do with it. A BT will be longer than the same weight FB. The same theory might apply to RN bullets as well and they have a reputation of good accuracy.

Old wife's tale?? ...... Yes/No/Maybe??

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you are referring to Sierra, the 150 grain has always been a boattail.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 219 Wasp
If you are referring to Sierra, the 150 grain has always been a boattail.

Or a round nose.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Are the Accubond and the ELD-X the only 2 boattails you have tried?

That's what stuck out to me in the OP too - with only trying 2 different boat tail bullets and one flat base (Partitions), it's a pretty loose connection to say the rifle doesn't like boat tail bullets. It may not like the particular bullets you tried, but don't assume all boat tails will shoot poorly in it. If you want to find good accuracy with a more streamlined bullet, it would be worth trying a few others, but keep in mind bullet length vs twist rate, as SuperCub pointed out.

Nothing wrong with Partitions at normal hunting ranges for sure, my objection is just to the general conclusion drawn from very limited information. Remember, correlation does not mean causation.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Take a look at the popular benchrest bullets.
Those OCD dudes don't do anything without good reason.

When pure accuracy, and nothing but accuracy is the goal,
The bullets are only pointy on one end.

This...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Sierra 150 Pro Hunters are flat base, same with all PH bullets. My old 1917 Enfield (with a Traister trigger/speedlock) would just wad the 150s/180 PHs into bug holes with IMR 4350! It did shoot the sierra 200 SBT (boat tail) just fine. I must have shot a "gazillion" boat tail bullets out of 105mm, 155mm, 8" Howtizers, M60s and M16s! I like them a lot, but I myself just don't need them out to 300-400yds, ha. If I shot a lot at 700-1200yds, well yeah. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 204guy, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,424 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,298
Posts18,487,062
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.