Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Parents need to be teaching work ethics, not employers.

Good luck with that, most cannot even manage manners.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a donut maybe once a month ,carb spree, dunkin donuts up the road .
Order 1 bearclaw 1 cake donut med. coffee , price $7.75 , hand 20 year old lad a $10 - computer/cash register is down , he has no idea how much change I get .
65 year old guy stands there staring at him says 'you've got to be kidding me' lad scowles at mean old boomer . The three of us just stood there quiet older guy shakes his head and says figure it out lad says the cash register isn't working -- figure it out - lad is looking around waiting for someone to do the thinking . Man tells him how much to give me and says you've got to use your head .
A young male employee was just getting there -lad turned and started talking and followed him smiling having a good time without another thought of what just happened . No desire to do anything except get a little $175 check in a few days , guarantee he thinks he should make $20 per hour , but reality is he isn't worth $3 hr. .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by g5m
Years ago a friend who was in the manufacturing business told me he wished he could hire more from south of the border as they knew the value of, and how to, work.

Maybe we need to take some of these sorry people that want work ,don't know how to work and send them south of the border ,replace them with people that will work

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's the parents that suck first, then they pass it on to the kids.

I hired a 20 year old a couple years ago. Good worker, good learner, nice kid, when I could get him out of bed. Of course he didn't have a drivers license so I had to pick him up. And half the time he wasn't out of bed yet. Also, he was a heavy sleeper so he wouldn't hear his phone ring. So there I sat, work scheduled for two, sitting in his driveway wondering if I should get the whole lazy damn family up or what. Most of the time he'd climb in the truck the smell would hit me. Laundry that had been left in the washer for days then dried in the dryer. Sour smellenest schit ever. About gagged. Had to tell him to go put on something that didn't stink.

Why is single dad letting this schit happen with a kid that lives at home? Get that kid out of bed, boss is coming to pick him up! Teach him to wash and dry his clothes. Teach him to pack a lunch and have food in the house for him to pack! Tell him to stay off the phone in the middle of the night, that nighttime is for sleeping not playing.

Nope, it's the parents failure first. I fired the kid after a few months, told him why and told him he wasn't going to get anywhere in life if he didn't change these things. Nobody owed him anything. Last I heard he got a fat girl pregnant.

I've had 20 employees at a time, back in the day, that were less trouble than that one kid was. He was so bad I have employee ptsd from it. Never again.

LOL
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Know what also tough?

Finding a kid that can properly lace a leather belt.

Try finding one that properly sharpen a scythe.

Properly cast a babbit bearing?? HA! Forget it!

I am MAGA.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nugget
Originally Posted by g5m
Years ago a friend who was in the manufacturing business told me he wished he could hire more from south of the border as they knew the value of, and how to, work.

Maybe we need to take some of these sorry people that want work ,don't know how to work and send them south of the border ,replace them with people that will work

Lots of europeans who would work hard if given the chance - all the Polish guys here work very hard and smart .
Way too much brown in this country leave them down where they belong .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by nugget
Originally Posted by g5m

No, you need the same solution we need. kick all foreign workers out and severely limit taxpayer funded handouts.

Work, or starve.

More citizens get off their lazy arses, and less coin being bled from the national coffer which leads to less tax.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys forget what you were like as 18 and 20 year olds.

Or was there no hormones, booze, smoke or women back then?

i did all those things ,but also ran a floor crew for my dad starting at 17.

Yup...same for me too.

I was more on the 19-20 side.

Got married at 18yrs old, wife and I were building our own home at 20. She worked 2 jobs, went to college at night. I built a route of about 100 monthly accounts for pest control, lawn & turf, moisture & ventilation and termite control. Went to state university at nights.
Licensed, chartered, with Tn Dept of Ag.
Started a renovation and contracting biz along side. My customers couldn't get contractors to repair something like 5 rotten floor joists or install a new front door after termites ate the casing.

I was making so much cash money at 21, hell I wanted to work all the time.

I want ask young people today...don't you like money to have to be able to go places, see things, and do chit? WTF

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My son is in his mid 20's and works hard. But he won't get serious. He takes a job and works it for a while,..then he quits and takes a break for a while. He took a little job at a Pizzeria/Pub a while ago. It's actually a decent place and makes high quality, high dollar Pizza from scratch. The most demanding job there is pizza cook. After he worked there a while they had him make the Pizzas. He got good at it. One day he decided he didn't want to do it any longer and just quit.

The manager called him in and asked him if somebody had upset him. My son says, "No,...not upset with anybody." The manager told him he could come back anytime he wanted.

He seems happy. He makes enough money to get by, but that's all he wants.

I don't understand him. He's always worked hard and is well liked by the people he's worked for. But like I said,..he just won't get serious about it long term.

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
You guys know you can fire people, right? Or do you just want to bitch like women in the salon? [bleep] old men are indistinguishable from old women.

First off, not quite old, yet.

Secondly, of course I know I can can anyone any time. But that isn’t very feasible. I’m running a crew in an area with a very small population. Top it off I’m in the middle of our biggest job of the year. No time to train someone new up.

Do you have any employees?

Montana MOFO
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Taught my three to work hard, they have done well!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I never play on my phone at work!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I work with a pile of different aged folks. You guys bash on the Millennials, but, they're some of the hardest working guys and gals in our office. The 20 year old interns are pussies that don't listen, like the thread says. I woke, yes, actually woke one up from a nap at his computer yesterday. He's supposed to be an inspector in the field.

Camp is where you make it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by stxhunter
You guys forget what you were like as 18 and 20 year olds.

Or was there no hormones, booze, smoke or women back then?

i did all those things ,but also ran a floor crew for my dad starting at 17.

Yup...same for me too.

I was more on the 19-20 side.

Got married at 18yrs old, wife and I were building our own home at 20. She worked 2 jobs, went to college at night. I built a route of about 100 monthly accounts for pest control, lawn & turf, moisture & ventilation and termite control. Went to state university at nights.
Licensed, chartered, with Tn Dept of Ag.
Started a renovation and contracting biz along side. My customers couldn't get contractors to repair something like 5 rotten floor joists or install a new front door after termites ate the casing.

I was making so much cash money at 21, hell I wanted to work all the time.

I want ask young people today...don't you like money to have to be able to go places, see things, and do chit? WTF

DAMN gitter done slumlord .
Me I worked week on week off on an offshore drilling rig - detailed cars/trucks/motorhomes on my days off and bought and fixed up cleaned up used cars .
Biloxi is a weird place people seem to think if someone like me bust my ass making money - they should get some of it . Go anywhere with anybody and they fully expected me to pay for everything - all of them were like that - weird.

Last edited by ol_mike; 08/21/19.

Posted by Bristoe
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
My son is in his mid 20's and works hard. But he won't get serious. He takes a job and works it for a while,..then he quits and takes a break for a while. He took a little job at a Pizzeria/Pub a while ago. It's actually a decent place and makes high quality, high dollar Pizza from scratch. The most demanding job there is pizza cook. After he worked there a while they had him make the Pizzas. He got good at it. One day he decided he didn't want to do it any longer and just quit.

The manager called him in and asked him if somebody had upset him. My son says, "No,...not upset with anybody." The manager told him he could come back anytime he wanted.

He seems happy. He makes enough money to get by, but that's all he wants.

I don't understand him. He's always worked hard and is well liked by the people he's worked for. But like I said,..he just won't get serious about it long term.

There are a lot of hard working kids like that.

Most times they just need a little longer to set down roots.

Most of my wife's friends did that. Work long enough to have some spending money....travel, screw around,,,,spend money.....find new job. Repeat.

Now they own dairy farms.

Americans marry quickly, and are expected to have a career nailed down, have a house bought, consume like crazy, and have crushing debt incurred by 25.

You are a no account if not.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by hanco

Howd you make that post?

I am MAGA.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
When a business fails, it always fails for the same reason, and it isn’t employees.
It might be that the only answer is no employees.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Dess
The greatest attribute of any good employee is their "Want To". If that is their only skill, you can teach them anything.

I agree 100%. I worked at a very busy tourist oriented shooting range and gun shop. 80% of our hires were recently discharged vets, many w/ combat tours. Safety and customer service were paramount and standards rigidly enforced. Good jobs were hard to find in Las Vegas at that time. We started them at $12.00/hr and they received 30+ hours of training prior to RSO status. No cell phones when in customer areas. The work was not easy and often done in a hot noisy environment.

The secret to success was paying well for performers. You had 3 months probation. In that time you were expected to prove your work ethic, customer compatibility and reliability as well as become intimate w/ 40+ guns, from revolvers to M 249s.

At the successful completion of probation the RSO became eligible for our profit based bonus system and frequently earned an extra $1000.00/ week and decent benefits. Good people need motivation to perform at a high level. About 30% completed probation, many quit or were released w/in 10 days.

Good employees are hard to find and must feel invested in the job to maximize their potential. Good bosses are leaders, motivators and trainers that lead by example.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hanco

Howd you make that post?

Computer ..

Posted by Bristoe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
lvmike ,
Did you mean $1000 per week as you or a month ?

Posted by Bristoe
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

488 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 46 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.