-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had to ask a 20-something young man to correct some of his work.
I can't recall the details, but I told him this must be done this certain way. It is the only way we are allowed to do it.
He told me that we need to take a few minutes and discuss how we each feel about the way we are doing it.

I think they must be getting some of this from their schools.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
You guys know you can fire people, right? Or do you just want to bitch like women in the salon? [bleep] old men are indistinguishable from old women.

And then they can draw unemployment on you.

Some of the guys I've worked with, that would seem to be a small price to pay to be rid of them.

Never owned a business, but would imagine that their claim might get denied if one documented their inability to perform their duties and their lack of punctuality.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You guys forget what you were like as 18 and 20 year olds.

Or was there no hormones, booze, smoke or women back then?

19 and still showed up at the shop at 4:30. Didnt want to be the pussy who couldnt cut hanging out all night and not make it in the next day. Also almost $15 an hour in '94 was pretty decent money for a laborer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Valsdad
You guys know you can fire people, right? Or do you just want to bitch like women in the salon? [bleep] old men are indistinguishable from old women.

Some of the guys I've worked with, that would seem to be a small price to pay to be rid of them.

Never owned a business, but would imagine that their claim might get denied if one documented their inability to perform their duties and their lack of punctuality.

Geno

Old superintendant told a lady to go fugg herself and go back in the house fat ass.

Drew all winter long.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Alamosa
I had to ask a 20-something young man to correct some of his work.
I can't recall the details, but I told him this must be done this certain way. It is the only way we are allowed to do it.
He told me that we need to take a few minutes and discuss how we each feel about the way we are doing it.

I think they must be getting some of this from their schools.

"Because I told you so" doesn't seem to fly much nowadays.

My wife and I go back and forth over all the feelings crap that goes on in the workplace nowadays...................and we're both retired now.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Did the company fight his award?

Geno

In it is contentment

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Boomers be bad mouthing the young people.....competing for the same Walmart Jobs I guess.......

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
lol

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
X'ers badmouthing the millenials......

what will we call the next generation

the layabout generation?

Geno

PS, them old cars were the best eh? Who want's something with air conditioning and air bags and scheit anyway. And you could usually get 25, maybe even 30 thou before the needed valve adjustment.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did the company fight his award?

Geno

Yes, went to court but since the lady did not show up to tell her side the judge awarded his unemployment. All we had were emails from her to our company.

Live and learn.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
It has been a long time ago, I have had 20, and younger work for me. Good young men, now good men.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of my guys were so bad about being late that 2 weeks ago I told them start time is 7:00 and 7:01 constitutes a 7:30 start time.

Gave them a 3 strikes policy. 3rd time late and they could be terminated. Not so bad if they call me 20-30 minutes before and tell me they would be late but they just show up late and act as if nothing happened.

One of them belly ached and I told him being on time was the easiest part of the job, doesn't even have to touch tools to be on time.

Today I sent 2 of them to do a little clean up on a job we just left. They called 3 hours later and said rain had them shut down. I went by shortly after they called and if they did anything I couldn't tell.

Have security at the school looking on cameras to see if they did anything or sat in the truck. If nothing done they will be going back again for free. Company not being paid 2x so why should they.

These guys are in their 30s. One of them was bitching the other day he needed more hours and when i added up the last 6 weeks he had average 46 hours a week. Just trying to get something for nothing.

We advertise we are looking for help all of the time but with our line of work basically only lasting 8 months of the year good help is hard to find or when you find them they get some experience and move on without asking for a raise.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Geno

Oh, the crap you get to deal with with the "special" ones.

Hired a college kid last year. Was going to be an optometrist. (you ARE? REALLY!). Anyway, needed a body to move pipe and help with construction.

First strike, no show. Usually, you only get one of those but we did need the body, so he got a talking to.

Second strike, no show the day I had 9 concrete trucks scheduled. Go pick up your check.

Fast forward to last month. The little special one has filed for unemployment on us (10 months later), claiming layoff due to lack of work. The redhead would have ripped him a new one if she could have found him....

This year, hired the neighbor's high school senior daughter. Moves pipe starting at 6 AM, never late, runs the skid steer, cleans, whatever needs doing, and then goes and moves pipe at home when she's done. Trying to convince her to not meet Mr. Right at BYUI and come back again next summer. Not sure my vote counts, though....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe
My son is in his mid 20's and works hard. But he won't get serious. He takes a job and works it for a while,..then he quits and takes a break for a while. He took a little job at a Pizzeria/Pub a while ago. It's actually a decent place and makes high quality, high dollar Pizza from scratch. The most demanding job there is pizza cook. After he worked there a while they had him make the Pizzas. He got good at it. One day he decided he didn't want to do it any longer and just quit.

The manager called him in and asked him if somebody had upset him. My son says, "No,...not upset with anybody." The manager told him he could come back anytime he wanted.

He seems happy. He makes enough money to get by, but that's all he wants.

I don't understand him. He's always worked hard and is well liked by the people he's worked for. But like I said,..he just won't get serious about it long term.

That is boredom. A job is fun as long as you are learning. Once mastered is is just boring repetition.

The kid really needs to find something challenging and exciting. Quality control manager at a whorehouse, maybe?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dutch, that's quite the story too. Maybe you get lucky and the girl finds here beau nearby instead of at school!

Did the dirtbag get to collect on that UI claim? I hope not as it kinda ruins it for those that really do need it.

Geno

In it is contentment

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I just fired one the other day thoght he should be a partner and get a dollar raise before 90 days 🤔

T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
You guys forget what you were like as 18 and 20 year olds.

Or was there no hormones, booze, smoke or women back then?

i did all those things ,but also ran a floor crew for my dad starting at 17.

Some of these guys were giving Patton orders at 17.

Kids make mistakes and can be distracted.

The balance lies somewhere between "let them be kids" and "you dont work you dont eat".

I am talking about 20-22 year olds. That I am paying to get a job done. These aren't my kids. They are there to benefit me so I can benefit them with a paycheck.

Montana MOFO
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I understand that.

Some people have it, some dont.

Doesn't matter the age.

I am MAGA.
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EdM
Do a better job of hiring. Good people are out there.

I fear you are over generalizing. Yes there are good people. I have a few hired.

My problem that I stated in the OP was about the problem young people have with listening. Not that they aren't good people or that they can't be good workers.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I raised my son to be responsible, respectful and to put out the best effort he possibly can and he soon learned those rewards.
Growing up in the outdoors hunting and fishing in extreme environments, he quickly learned the value and fruition of hard work and that average effort nets average results.
Today he is a highly respected wildlands firefighter that won firefighter of the year from his peers.

I still work part time in my grocery store, meat cutting environment with these worthless puke millennials.
One is 23 years old, can't stay off his phone, doesn't drive, is constantly late to work, plays video games until the wee hours of the morning and still lives with his mother and obviously has never neen laid.
JFC... I was married, and living in a different universe than these idiots....as is my kid today.

Proud NRA Life Member
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.