Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Biggest thing is practise with what you have, before you need it.
I think when out camping at least start one fire using your emergency kit.
Will help be proficient and see if maybe you will find a better set up.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by ironbender
Does inner tube wrap not solve that?

Sure does. Guarantee it.

[Linked Image]

L.W.

Tabasco minis?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Have never heard a negative on zippos. Ive just never owned one. Probably should fix that.

The fuel evaporates...

Overfill it and stick it in your pocket. The escaping fuel will leave a red, sore, dry spot on your leg that takes some time to heal.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Have never heard a negative on zippos. Ive just never owned one. Probably should fix that.

The fuel evaporates...

Overfill it and stick it in your pocket. The escaping fuel will leave a red, sore, dry spot on your leg that takes some time to heal.
A piece of bike innertube will seal the gap, reduce evaporation, and keep the fluid from eating you.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IRONBENDER - "Tabasco minis?"

Yes sir. I can't imagine how many fires one would have to start before a ZIPPO needed refueling, especially sealing the "gap" between lid and body with a piece of bicycle tube ... but I've always carried a couple spare mini-Tabasco bottles in my day pack. Never needed them, but they're there.

Regarding that picture I posted showing my ZIPPO setup, on another outdoor blog, a couple of "Doubting Thomas" outdoorsmen scoffed and wrote, "Well, if your hands are frozen, how you gonna get that big rubber band off your ZIPPO?"

I replied, "If you can hold the Zippo in the heels of your hands, pull the rubber band off with your teeth. If your hands are so frozen you can't even hold the lighter in your hands to do that task ... well, you'd best have your affairs in order."

If there is a will, there is a way ... in a very dangerous survival situation. Mindset counts. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
If your hands are THAT cold, you should have built your fire an hour ago.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anti bacterial hand cleanser work great as a fire starter. Get one of the small bottles and carry it in your pack. Lights right up and keeps burning.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use these:

[Linked Image]

With a match or lighter, these will start a fire easily..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here are a few things I've tried while working with the scouts. All of these will work very well with a match or lighter. If you need to use a flint/steel, you'll also need cotton balls or other tinder to get them lit.

STRIKEAMATCH These are 7x10 sheets of match striker paper, adhesive backed. You can cut it and stick it to a worn out match box or anything else to light stubborn matches. Since the demise of the good strike anywhere matches, it's hard to find anything that will light reliably. I took a bunch of tongue depressors and stuck this strikeamatch stuff to both sides and gave one to each of our scouts to put in his emergency kit. This stuff will light your match.

Diamond Strike A Fire sticks: They burn a long time. They have a red spot on the end to strike on any match box. Don't rely on that to light one. Most of time it won't light or just flares out. Break one in half to get a fuzzy end then use a match or lighter.

[Linked Image]

Coghlands Waterproof Fire Starting Sticks. Like the Diamond sticks, these will burn a long time once lit. It takes a lighter or match to get one lit, though. A flint & steel won't do it. Using these along with a cotton ball or other tinder will work very well. The waterproof claim is very questionable. I poured water on one, broke it to get a fuzzy end, and couldn't light it. It might work ok in rain or snow but not if it gets real wet.

[Linked Image]

Duraflame Firestart Cubes These are probably the easiest to use that I've tried and they really will burn for 10 min. The wrapper is waterproof. Just light the wrapper with a lighter or match. These would be very easy to light with a striker if you use a cotton ball. You only need to get the cellophane wrapper lit to light it. Walmart has them in sporting goods but if you look in their fireplace/heater section, they'll have a box twice as big for the same price.

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll have to try some of these things.

My best experience has been with the Wetfire Tinder blobs.

I'm probably like most guys and really only tried to make a fire maybe a couple of times a year.

For me that changed last winter when I bought a Firebox Nano stove. I get a kick out of making coffee and cocoa anywhere and anytime with the firebox. But now I gotta carry water, coffee, and a french press/mug...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Firebox stove:

[Linked Image]

Made something like that out of scrap sheet metal for trioxane bars. I like pop can alcohol stoves better.

[Linked Image]

See Zen Stoves

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
For me that changed last winter when I bought a Firebox Nano stove. I get a kick out of making coffee and cocoa anywhere and anytime with the firebox. But now I gotta carry water, coffee, and a french press/mug...
When hunting, I drink Tasters Choice freeze dried coffee. It's not like real coffee but it's drinkable and is far better than most instants. A small zip lock bag can carry quite a few cups full and weighs nothing. With a folding stove and a metal cup, it'll make it easy to have a hot cup on the trail.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
For me part of the fun of winter hunting is a mid day fire and making coffee and a freeze dried meal. The fire is for comfort but I use a canister stove for hot water and use Via instant coffee, french roast. I can hardly wait for cool weather, 108* here today.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.