Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Old farmer nehbor up the road has bought about 3000 acres here in se Nebraska over his lifetime...he is 83 ....told me he never bought a farm he didn't think was too much at the time...his first farm was 150/ acre....he paid it off in 3 years....last one he bought a few years ago around 7500..
My grandad was the same way...he bought one one time and paid it off with his first crop....that will just never happen these days with the safety net of fed crop insurance....
Someday you may look back and say boy I should have payed up and got that farm...

Around here a $7500 per acre piece of dryland farmland wouldn't pay for itself EVER........not saying some hedge fund or very cash heavy buyer wouldn't bite it off......just saying it will never pencil growing crop on it.
Hell, $3500 an acre won't pencil....and it's pretty good dirt around here. (lot of 100 bu. wheat this summer around)

Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'd better correct myself, Out of the 141.4 acres, all but 31 are tillable. Still a lot of money.

Wabi, if you pull 2 crops most years off this ground does the banker say it pencils?

Have Dog

Will Travel

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by thirdbite
how much net income will an acre of corn or soybeans generate - assume avg over 10 years?

I'll bet at these prices, unless you own the ground free and clear, your NET is underwater this year.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cowdoc
Around here land for ag use always sells for more than it will cash flow, crops or cows.

Except for the crisis of the early 80's land has appreciated in value, and that makes it work.

They used this theory on housing in the 2000's.......right up to the crash.
The positive about ag is, in a crash or recession ag tends to improve......alot.

Have Dog

Will Travel

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
No, the land will not pay for it's self, it takes other income.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, the land will not pay for it's self, it takes other income.

There's always NEXT year. smile smile

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
What happens around here is the old guys who were wise and bought land back in the 80s for 600 dollars an acre are still making money and are looking for a place to park money....and land is a safe place...when you get 2 of those guys at an auction you may as well go home..we have a few outside investors buying up land too...
So if you have a million dollars setting around. It would buy you 1/4 section here....and you get 35-40k guaranteed income minus taxes..if you rent it...its a very low risk investment...when you want to cash out there is a good chance you will get more than you paid...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What happens around here is the old guys who were wise and bought land back in the 80s for 600 dollars an acre are still making money and are looking for a place to park money....and land is a safe place...when you get 2 of those guys at an auction you may as well go home..we have a few outside investors buying up land too...
So if you have a million dollars setting around. It would buy you 1/4 section here....and you get 35-40k guaranteed income minus taxes..if you rent it...its a very low risk investment...when you want to cash out there is a good chance you will get more than you paid...

You get agriculture people to pay a 35-40k lease on 160 acres?

That must be some pretty productive land.

Or are you talking about city slickers with desk jobs leasing it?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That's what I thought.....
or it's irrigated, maybe.
That is over $200 an acre for rent.

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Or are you talking about city slickers with desk jobs leasing it?

Sure do....some even pay mor than that...
Current rates around here are around 200-225/acre...
My aunt has a 160 se was getting 400 for it....now is down around 300. That's why I'm not renting it from her...my rental ground is at 200..

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Just to clarify ....we only pay for the productive acres...so out of a good 160 acres you are luckey to get 140-farmable... If there is a creek or timber....ect it doesn't count...
Also pasture or hay ground is 50 or so...and that might be too much...
So if your a land owner it is a big benefit to put those non productive acres int one of the gov programs....and it sure helps the wildlife...

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Non irrigated dry land is what I'm talking...

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by wageslave
We pushed it to the next to last bid. 141.4 acres, 31 cares good crop ground, the rest pasture brought $8,250. Who knows if we should have kept bidding.

Just wondering,
with 31 in crop and 110 +/- in pasture...
how in the world do you talk a banker into that?
and/or if you have the cash on hand, how do you ever beat a 2% CD in town on your million?
Unless you develop it into houses or malls I don't understand how you recover, let alone get a return, on your outlay in 2 lifetimes.....but then again, I'm not very smart.

Bankers don't mind loaning too much on land...you can't run off with it...can't hide it...they know if you don't pay they can sell it...if it doesn't bring what you owe they sell all your other assets....
This is exactly the farm crisis of the 80s....when interest went to 18 percent guys just couldn't pay....banks went down with them...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Non irrigated dry land is what I'm talking...

Rainier,
what crops do you produce on it?

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Corn and soybeans...
Have a few cattle running on pasture...

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Our soils have a deep clay subsoil layer that holds moister..when it doesn't rain the corn can service without irrigation as long as we have had winter snow and spring rain..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice.
Can you pull a corn and a bean crop in the same year?

Have Dog

Will Travel

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
No just one crop...some do beans after wheat but they don't yeald well ..normal yealds for us is 60-80 bu on normal years...
Jimmy Fredricks lives just south of here and holds the world record title at 163 bu
Our corn on good ground does 180-200 and on poor ground 150. Or less...

Last edited by rainierrifleco; 08/26/19.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Double crop? No

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd better correct myself, Out of the 141.4 acres, all but 31 are tillable. Still a lot of money.

Insane. I never would have imagined it'd bring $8250/acre, not even if it was all premium tillable.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Interesting thread. 20 years ago, I could have bought a section for $600/acre near here. It was fee land, but within the exterior borders of the reservation so there was a discount. I could have made it work but wasn't terribly interested in tying myself to it.

One of my partners recently purchased 40 acres about 20 miles out of town as a potential homesite. With three little kids, I don't know what he was thinking there but its his deal not mine. In any event, the US has paid him to plant a crop, paid him to fence it, paid him to plant trees, and paid him to drill a (dry) well. Not 100% but like 80 and 90% of the costs. He's got checks rolling in from Uncle Sam all the time on a hobby farm. That's where the real money is in land. What can you get them to pay you for?

Finally, land is selling for less here than it did five years ago. Much less. And people find themselves having to divest some of their holdings to maintain their financing as a result. There could be a real correction coming, probably not but its possible. Lots of land about to hit the market, up to the buyers to hold the price up.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (007FJ, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,850 guests, and 1,298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.