Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DMc
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Doesn't sound to me like they "broke" in. Sounds like they walked in through an unlocked door. Some kid the grandson knows is the most likely culprit but since nobody knows that for sure at this point, it's better to be safe than sorry. The OP is getting it on record with the PD. Good first step. Second get a security system. While this is going on, teach those kids about situational awareness no matter where they are.

The problem with "some kid getting the phone" is that it ended up 7 1/2 miles away in a ghetto neighborhood!

Yeah. I get that DMc. Again, just trying to hope for the best case scenario in this.

If some crackhead (or worse) was in your house, that close to your grandchild while they slept, that just makes me shudder.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Maybe sister was pissed at brother for not turning off his phone, pocketed it, and left it at the bus stop. Someone found it there, took it thinking they could pawn it, realized it was locked, then discarded it where the homeless folks found it and used Siri to call.

I don't use siri or any of that automated crap so I have no idea, but I would think that you could not even access siri without unlocking the phone. Or, if you COULD access siri on a locked phone, then how could you tell it to call someone in the address book? How the hell does this stuff work?

It depends on how you have your settings configured. If you allow Siri to work on a locked home screen so that you can call people without having to unlock it, they could easily do this. The screen could read “missed call Papa” from when he tried to call the phone and they could just hit the home button to access Siri and say “call papa.”

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

It depends on how you have your settings configured. If you allow Siri to work on a locked home screen so that you can call people without having to unlock it, they could easily do this. The screen could read “missed call Papa” from when he tried to call the phone and they could just hit the home button to access Siri and say “call papa.”

^^^This^^^

Yep. And I’m betting that’s exactly what they did.
Maybe they were planning on telling David the kidnapped they kid for ransom and then chicken out.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/23/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
DMc,
Have you checked to see if location services was enabled on the phone? If so, you or someone who knows how can track where that phone was. I promise you, if it was, apple knows everywhere that phone has been in the last 18 hours.

This evening I took all 3 of our phones to "Pro-Tech" and had them all coordinated. Any of our phones can now find the others. (Unless a techie steals the phone"!!!) I'll be looking at a more sophisticated app from Apple tomorrow. I guess in the next few days I'll be looking at security systems also. Just like "having friends in LOW places, I'm low tech and have friends in the same shape!" It's rough being old and watch the world wiz by.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ingwe
The homeless couple didn't "find" the phone....

Probably, but why did they call him to come get it?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Maybe they were planning on telling David the kidnapped they kid for ransom and then chicken out.

Gawd! Can you imagine?! I would be loaded for bear in about 7 seconds!

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

^^^This^^^

I am too.

[Linked Image]

and a back up.. (with a nifty lazer sight)

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc

^^^This^^^

I am too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was just gonna say you can bet your ass David was loaded for Bear. 😬

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/23/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DMc

^^^This^^^

I am too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like button.

DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by DMc

^^^This^^^

I am too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Neal knows I'm a die hard 45acp guy...

[Linked Image]

..and I don't have a thing against revolvers either!

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

DMc ^^^^^^^^

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Homeless stole the phone wanting a reward and that is exactly how it went down.

Lucky they didn't hurt your child.

DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

DMc ^^^^^^^^

LOL.... Hardly. I pray I never have to kill someone, and live with that the rest of my life.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by broomd
Homeless stole the phone wanting a reward and that is exactly how it went down.

Lucky they didn't hurt your child.

My gut tells me they didn't steal it, but my instincts tell me the person that did, may have been watching from not far away.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
The police are on the way now. I'm reporting the whole thing.

Good! Get it on record and do what you can possibly do to protect those little tikes. Once someone has been in there, they might be telling how easy it is to others with worse intentions.

^^^This^^^

Sounds like to me they were watching your house.

They’d be some dead mofo’s if I saw them in my neighborhood again.

They or one or someone was already in the house, during the night...hiding in a closet?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by DMc
[Linked Image]

DMc ^^^^^^^^

LOL.... Hardly. I pray I never have to kill someone, and live with that the rest of my life.

I feel the same.

But if someone even tried to mess with my granddaughter, there would be hell to pay.

DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by DMc
The police are on the way now. I'm reporting the whole thing.

Good! Get it on record and do what you can possibly do to protect those little tikes. Once someone has been in there, they might be telling how easy it is to others with worse intentions.

^^^This^^^

Sounds like to me they were watching your house.

They’d be some dead mofo’s if I saw them in my neighborhood again.

They or one or someone was already in the house, during the night...hiding in a closet?

They'd be dealing with a scenario similar to this. Not exactly CCW huh?

[Linked Image]

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
DMc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The silver lining to all of this is that his (Grandson's) phone was stolen, rather than me being pissed at him the rest of his/my life) for losing another damned phone.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
FYI,

I'd quit posting pics of the kids, even here...unless you're retired, drink a lot of beer and sit in the garage with all the lights off.

Its a [bleep] up world these days.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
It would be my elk hunting partner and I 20+ years ago chasing bulls. We were one bull shy of 100% with our last hunt in 2015. He was 72 with bad ankles, he realized he could not do it. I killed a 5x5 the first morning, afterward we hiked to our old camps and just enjoyed the time together.

My first.

[Linked Image]

Us on the last.

[Linked Image]

My last.

[Linked Image]

Typical camp sky up from Leadville.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,162
Posts18,484,397
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.