Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
hello campfire archers!
has anyone hunted in Arizona or new mexico junipers? is there any camo patterns that you like or recommend over others? I have a hunt coming up with my cousin that lives near St. Johns and he says its mostly rock and juniper brush. all I have right now is real tree edge and kings mountain shadow. are these too dark?

GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I have hunted there before.
Unit 2b
That camo is not too dark.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Never have seen the patterns you mention in person. Looking at the websites, I'd guess either will do fine. You might be surprised how "dark" the junipers can be and even most of the rock is volcanic and dark if you're hunting in the Unit near St John's.

Will you be hunting in a tree stand, blind or on the ground still hunting?

Good luck.

I'll be hunting the junipers myself on a general hunt in October.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by slosaguy805
hello campfire archers!
has anyone hunted in Arizona or new mexico junipers? is there any camo patterns that you like or recommend over others? I have a hunt coming up with my cousin that lives near St. Johns and he says its mostly rock and juniper brush. all I have right now is real tree edge and kings mountain shadow. are these too dark?

Camo is all marketing!!!!!!! Buy what pleases your eye, that is what everyone else does.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Mountain Shadow should be fine, movement will stand out more than the camo will.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I live and hunt in the junipers. You're good. +10 on what MontanaCreekHunter says.

Respectfully,

Dave

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Mountain Shadow should be fine, movement will stand out more than the camo will.

^^^^ Bingo ^^^^

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
thanks for the input yall. really looking forward to this trip. mostly spot and stalk but my cousin did say that he has a few ground blinds he wants to put up as well. well see how it goes!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Move SLOWLY, use the junipers to your advantage, and watch the wind. I'm assuming an early hunt? September perhaps? The later the season, the spookier those elk will be.

Good luck with it all.

Geno

In it is contentment

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
We use the mountain shadow in the hill country. Works fine. Season opens September 28.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
All,

Here is an AZ 19B buck I took Dec. 27, 2017. Note the clothes I'm wearing. The only thing camo was the hat. I took this buck during my lunch break. I took a ride around the ranch during lunch and climbed our 400 yard shot tower, which is approx. 25 feet high, and started glassing. I saw him and a group of does, lasered, at 185 yards. I worked the wind through the junipers and got to 35 yards and he presented a broadside shot. It took me a while as they were meandering back and forth. He ran about 75 yards and fell over.

I showered before work with my usual Irish Springs body wash, shaved, old spice deodorant and after shave cream.

Working the wind slowly, using cover and concealment, and patience, I was able to get within my comfort range of 40 yards. Yes, I do own camo and scent killer products but I didn't use them that day.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...es/14066531/az-19b-archery-buck#comments

Respectfully,

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sound, scent, and movement - the 3 stalk busters.

One time I was crossing a 1/2 acre bare patch when a bull and cow walked out of the trees. I flopped on my butt and froze. They didn't see me and I didn't dare move. They were in some light brush and I couldn't shoot. I sat there for 10 min or more until some other cows in the brush made me. I was wearing camo but plain tan Carhardts would have been more what would blend into the dirt I was sitting in.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Hunting archery antelope in the same kind of country now.

Had a tag 11 years ago and my buddy just bought a set of Max 1 cloths, all the rage back then, light/medium in color. He was going to circle a herd and see if the would come my direction, instead they bolted as soon as he topped a ridge way out there.

Later he asked if his new camo blended in...

No, you looked like a big dark stick walking on the grass, he was disappointed.

Move from juniper to juniper, glass from the shadow, try not to let them see you move or it's over right now.

Kent

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

301 members (1lesfox, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 25 invisible), 1,831 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.