Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Tom264
Depends on rifle/stock/weight.
My 300 wsm is a pussycat compared to my fils.
I hate his.

What are you running. Knowing what a difference stocks and weight make, this is info that interests me. Also for comparison, what does the FIL run?

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When they first came out, rifles and ammo were sporadic in the pipeline. Ibought a Mod 700 HB Varmint (26" barrel) in .308 and had it converted to the 300WSM. It used an inline magazine, loaded by dropping the floorplate, dump them in ( like an Old Krag, ha) Anyhow, that puppy shot wonderful, and beat my 24" 300WM with the 168 NBT. I gave it to a dear older friend in Texas for a Beanfield rifle. I have three friends who use the 300WSM on everything. I am back to a lighter weight 300WM. I'm not picky. smile I can make both of them go fast enough for what I want. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .300WSM is a fine cartridge. That said, if I was going to buy or build another .300 it would be a .300 PRC.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
I hate his.

What are you running. Knowing what a difference stocks and weight make, this is info that interests me. Also for comparison, what does the FIL run?

I am running a SS Rem 700 with 26” fluted barrel with a McMillan Rem Hunter stock.
He a SS Winchester 70 with a 24” barrel and a factory composite stock shortened 3/4”
Mine weighs upper 7’s his lower 7’s
His recoils twice what mine does to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by hanco
It seems like recoil is a good bit less than my 300 Win mag. I wouldn’t mind having one. I have a 270 WSM. I really like it!

I dont know about a good bit less. More like slightly less IME.

I hate his.

I have a Tikka T3 .300WSM, and that gun kicks harder than any other rifle I own to include my Ruger Hawkeye .338WM. The Tikka will be getting a replacement recoil pad in the near future.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hudge
It seems like recoil is a good bit less than my 300 Win mag. I wouldn’t mind having one. I have a 270 WSM. I really like it!

I hate his.

I have a Tikka T3 .300WSM, and that gun kicks harder than any other rifle I own to include my Ruger Hawkeye .338WM. The Tikka will be getting a replacement recoil pad in the near future.

No kidding.

I met a guy at the range once who was selling one for a decent price and was nice enough to let me shoot it to test accuracy before making my decision. It proved accurate enough, but after a 5-shot group I handed it back to him and said, “No, thanks. This thing kicks like a pissed-off horse!”

He told me right then that was why he was getting rid of it.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Where did I read that an ammunition maker or bullet company was using a .300 WSM for accuracy testing and that they got even better results from it than a .308?

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 300 wsm is probably the most consistently accurate rifle I own and shoots great with several bullets. I probably have over 50 hunting rifles but for the last 6 years or so I keep taking the 300 wsm. It's a 24" brux 10 twist #4 fluted on a stiller predator.

Bb

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I hate his.

SOP before you shoot tikka in the magnums, is put a limbasaver recoil pad in it.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 79S

I hate his.

SOP before you shoot tikka in the magnums, is put a limbasaver recoil pad in it.

Some of us have to learn the hard way! smile I actually thought I ordered one before I left the Stan, but it must have been a dream. I'll be getting one in the near future.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ha. No pun intended 😉!
The pad on the t3x is much improved over the brick that came with the t3.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I hate his.

This! I've found the limbsaver to be a life saver on magnum T3s. Its the first thing I add. I think I even put one on my 6.5 Swede. It didn't really need one at first but when I got the 147s up to about 2900 i thought why not.

Bb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Rem. 700, SPS, 300WSM shoots very well, MOA and smaller. I had a muzzle brake installed for recoil reduction. I load 180 grain Accubonds with 66.0 grains of IMR4831. This is the only load that I use with my 300WSM due to accuracy and has taken 22 big game animals from North America, Africa and New Zealand. This load chronographs at 2900 FPS +/- 1% deviation. Not going to change load.
I pillar bedded and glass bedded the original Remington tupperware stock and painted it camo. It does everything that I require out to 500 yards. That being my self imposed shooting limit. Good luck! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't think the .300WSM is as useful as the 7mmWSM or even the .325WSM, but it is a respectable all-around cartridge.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Please elaborate. It seems to me the 300 is slightly less flat than the 7mm, but has more energy, and slightly flatter than the 325, but carries less energy. A good mix of the two, it would seem. The 300 has more readily available components and ammunition as well...

Tom264, I take it from your post that the McMillan makes a difference in the recoil vs. the Model 70 stock. Good to knows as my initial thought was a 70 EW and the addition of a McMillan of some flavor, not with edge fill. Probably add the SS 3-9 for optics, so not a super lightweight rig, looking for about 8 lbs. all up, or thereabout. Can fiddle with mounts and such to add or reduce weight a little if needed. Or do you suspect there is a recoil difference between the different actions? I figured the stock and weight had most of the effect one way or the other.

Last edited by OldGrayWolf; 08/26/19.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
The .300WSM is a fine cartridge. That said, if I was going to buy or build another .300 it would be a .300 PRC.

Why the 300 prc? It needs a long action, and what does it do much better than the wsm? Not that familiar with it, so your comment makes me curious.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=Tom264][quote=BWalker][quote=hanco]It seems like recoil is a good bit less than my 300 Win mag. I wouldn’t mind having one. I have a 270 WSM. I really like it!

I

This! I've found the limbsaver to be a life saver on magnum T3s. Its the first thing I add. I think I even put one on my 6.5 Swede. It didn't really need one at first but when I got the 147s up to about 2900 i thought why not.

Bb

Yeah, If and when I buy a 6.5 CM it will be a Tikka T3x. I'll still probably put a Limbsaver on it. I just need to order one for he T3 .300WSM I currently own.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf

Tom264, I take it from your post that the McMillan makes a difference in the recoil vs. the Model 70 stock. Good to knows as my initial thought was a 70 EW and the addition of a McMillan of some flavor, not with edge fill. Probably add the SS 3-9 for optics, so not a super lightweight rig, looking for about 8 lbs. all up, or thereabout. Can fiddle with mounts and such to add or reduce weight a little if needed. Or do you suspect there is a recoil difference between the different actions? I figured the stock and weight had most of the effect one way or the other.

I believe wholeheartedly it is the stock in my case that suppresses the recoil.
Not to mention I have a 1” Packmayer Decelerator pad and he has the factory harder rubber pad.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I don't think the .300WSM is as useful as the 7mmWSM or even the .325WSM, but it is a respectable all-around cartridge.

It would be really hard for me to consider a 325 more useful than a 300. I could agree on the 7 wsm but in my opinion the only thing the 325s are useful for is picking them up used for cheap and rebarreling them to 7s.

I've just never found 8mm bullets very appealing. BCs are never very good and most stores don't stock many of them. I'm sure some people love them but some people love 270s too. I'm guilty of owning a fee 98s in 8mm and even had a weatherby Europa in 8x68s for a while. I could consider an 8mm usable but never more useful than a 30 cal. Every bullet is available in a 30 cal and even their BCs look good next to an 8mm. But, to each their own.

I did have a friend in high school who was convinced his 303 British had way more knock down than my 30-06 because it had a bigger diameter bullet. Now that he's all grown up he probably moved up to an 8mm and really has my 06 beat.

Bb

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Originally Posted by 79S
[quote=Tom264][quote=BWalker][quote=hanco]It seems like recoil is a good bit less than my 300 Win mag. I wouldn’t mind having one. I have a 270 WSM. I really like it!

I

Bb

Yeah, If and when I buy a 6.5 CM it will be a Tikka T3x. I'll still probably put a Limbsaver on it. I just need to order one for he T3 .300WSM I currently own.

They have them at Sportsmans warehouse for the t3

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 66 invisible), 3,258 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,380
Posts18,469,532
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.