Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917
I am sure he is what is known as a "Keeper"! again, congrats and thanks for taking him on!

^^^This^^^

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Looks like a lab head on a pit bull body to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bet 60% of the dogs at our local shelter have Pit in them.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA
I bet 60% of the dogs at our local shelter have Pit in them.

Is “da hood” close by ? 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I started this thread last month to see if anyone here could help me figure out what kind of dog I had. I was thinking mostly lab, and that’s what the people at the shelter said, but when someone asked if his feet were webbed I realized that he wasn’t as much lab as I had thought. So for fun I had a DNA test done and just got the results. Thought you all might be interested. He is 50% American Staffordshire Terrier, 37.5%Lab, and the other 12.5% is from the breed groups hound, terrier, and herding dogs.

I had never heard of a American Staffordshire terrier so I did some research. They are one of a few different breeds that are known as pitbull’s. I never thought I would have a pitbull, but this came to me as a surprise, and he sure looks like he’s going to be a good dog. Has anyone here ever had a American Staffordshire? What can you tell me about them?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
While there is an “American Staffordshire” show dog bloodline, I’m pretty sure yours is just a half pit bull mix, pits being far more common and more likely to be owned by people who do not supervise their dogs.

I presume your dog has been neutered, which will minimize the potential for aggression. Keep an eye on his around cats and unfamiliar dogs.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Typical shelter worker behaviour. You know most people aren't likely to adopt a pit cross, so you lie and call it a lab cross. Not a total lie, it does have lab in it, but you should ID a cross by the predominant breed, if you are honest. I saw it hundreds of time.

Now, your dog may never ever be an issue, but be on your toes, always. Birdie gave good advice. I would add that you take him for some professional training (and you too). If other dogs or small animals are around, keep him on a short, sturdy leash.

Ahhh, I see from your OP, that they did give both breeds in the description. Doesn't change anything.

Last edited by AB2506; 09/18/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know a dog that has a similar look, especially the body, and it's half basset hound.

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
To be fair the shelter did advertise him as a lab/pit bull mix. He looked like that to me too. He had an oversized head on a skinny body (his ribs were nearly sticking through his skin), but since he’s gained some weight his head doesn’t seem so big. We have a little female toy fox terrier and he’s very gentle with her. This news is a bit unsettling but it’s hard to think of him as a different dog now. He is very trainable. He’ll sit and stay while I go inside the house for as long as I want and wait for me to return.

But I also know that a lot of people who own pit bulls that went bad would swear they were gentle dogs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Keep working with him, daily. It's the advice we've gotten over the years and that we now give to owners of any breed. Keep working with them daily.

Someone mentioned getting some professional training. Not bad advice. If there is a dog training facility in your area, check them out. Agility, obedience, even scent work. We do a bunch of dog sports with our dogs, whippets now but previously those and mixed breeds. Ribbons and awards all over the place. All dogs benefit from activity and having a "job". Tired dogs act right more often too.

Some of the training classes we've attended over the years, agility if I recall, had some AmStafs in them. One lady bred them and her dogs were excellent in the ring. They are generally highly trainable.

Spend as much time as you can with him, but the standard advice with any large powerful breed it to be aware at all times. Especially around children, strangers, and other animals. And even yourself.

Good luck with the pup.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We DNA tested ours and he had a good bit of Staffordshire terrier as well. He's been fine with people and all animals. The 24lb terrier puts him in his place and he takes it. He's very gentle around children. He will put himself between my wife and repairmen/delivery drivers until he feels they're ok and barks when the doorbell rings. That's about what I was hoping for. Now, he tries to leave with the UPS guy.

He's typically laid back and even keel. He can be stubborn at times. Ours was a 3 year old rescue and had been around kids his whole life but I still asked the vet about his temperament. I trust mine but it is not a breed that should be allowed to just run free. He may very well turn out to be the best dog you'll ever have. You just have to be a more of a responsible dog owner than the average

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by McInnis
I found this guy in the animal shelter about a month ago. He came to them as a stray so they didn't have any info on his background. They advertised him as a lab/pit-bull mix and he looked like that to me too. He had a big oversized head and jaws atop an emaciated body - his ribs were nearly sticking through his skin. I was reluctant about the pit-bull thing, but he seemed very friendly and I felt sorry for him so he's found his forever home with me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now that he's gained some weight, his head is more proportional to his body and he looks more like a lab that anything else. He's incredibly energetic. He would chase rabbits all day if I let him, but seems very gentle natured.

Is there a chance he's a full-blooded lab? And if he is, could he ever be a good watch dog? I've never owned a lab but it's my impression that they would like a burglar to death before they would bit him.

Any thoughts on people who know labs well will be appreciated.

Fearlessness is what the Pitbull tends to contribute to a mix. But that dog looks like a pure lab to me.

It's my job to be fearless here. My GSP let's me know when to be so.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a chocolate version of the lab ? mix. Mom was a black lab dad might of been American bulldog or pit. I refer to him as my inner city lab. Knows his momma was black no clue who daddy was.

He is about a 120 pound couch potato. That will probable try and kill you if come in uninvited or get near my truck with him in it. Never seen such a laid back dog that can go zero to scary in about a second and a half.

Never any sign of his protective and slightly psycho streak til he about a year old. Went out of town for the weekend with him. Came home walked in the front door as the lowlife scum went out the back door. TV a couple cheap guns went with them. Dog went crazy. I did too. Unfortunately as much as I wanted to,unloading a 10 mm into their backsides as they run away is frowned upon by local law enforcement. At least officially at a personal level most will tell you they would rather just come and pick up the bodies.

Anyways since that day my dog trusts no one new. No one. However without any encouragement he really don't trust anyone that's black. White your going to get his attention and the stare down if you walk past the house eventually your getting barked at. Black and you walk past he will be growling barking and snapping his jaws at the end of his chain as soon as he sees you. He has put a few on top of cars already.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I ha to out mine down a couple of months ago, still not ready to get another one. Friend has two, brother and sister, looks a lot like yours,
Great dogs!! Easily trained.

I've been looking at the shelters, etc, seems every dog now is a pit-mix.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 23 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,088
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.