Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I picked up another No. 1- at least it was bought for a buddy who wants one and I told him I would wring it out for him! LOL!
Anyway, I checked the chamber last night and holy smokes that chamber is LONG!!
It also has a 22" barrel which really raised flags with me.

I checked with Ruger and yup, it was built in 1983 and came with a 26" barrel. Hmmmm, extra long throat, barrel cut- yup flags going up!
He already had some 150's loaded so we took it to the range today and bore sighted the thing at a 20" gong at 200 meters, and hit it. We then messed around and it was here, there, and here again, basically all over the map but not on the steel!

"Enough of this crap" says I, and I took the forend off ( Which had been sanded - more flags)and wedged a piece of wood under the forend hanger , and screwed the forend back on .
BINGO! next three went right on the steel, and I stood on my hind legs and dropped one onto the steel as well.
Next step is to drill the forend and install a pressure screw, then we will take the loading gear to the range and "schit is gonna get real" as my son says!
Updates as they happen :>)
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep those forearms can give you fits.I had to tinker with mine to get it to shoot well.Other than that,they are great rifles.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve had four #1s. Went through all the forend bedding, floating, hanger bar stuff, custom triggers, etc.
None of them would shoot 1.5” at 100 yards.
Beautiful guns that in most cases are very marginal at best, accuracy wise.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My experience has been the exact opposite Dale !
In fact the only one that I could not get to shoot better than
1 1/2” at 100 yards was my first one - a 243!
All the ready ( 27 in total ) have been shooters , even the RSI’s.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 08/28/19.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have a few Ruger #1`s and the #1`s i hunt with all shoot under an inch after i glass bedded the forearm,i do have a couple that did shoot like a bench rifle right out of the box with my handloads. > Ruger #1`s are a blue collar dream rifle masterpiece, sure glad Bill Ruger decided to build and manufacture this fine rifle, someday Ruger #1`s will probably never be built again.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
OK, so what cartridge is your rifle chambered to?
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
OK, so what cartridge is your rifle chambered to?
Paul B.

OOPS!
This latest one is in 270 Winchester .
My main hunting gun however is in303 Brit
Cat

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
you may not hunt anymore with your 303 ? Ruger #1`s are kinda of addicting to hunt with and so easy to load and unload.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
you may not hunt anymore with your 303 ? Ruger #1`s are kinda of addicting to hunt with and so easy to load and unload.

Pete , I will NEVER give up my Ruger in 303!
It was not a factory issue it was a custom built job by Leeper for me .
As for the 270? Nope , nien, nada, nyet - ain’t Gonna happen!
Owned a couple , killed a few dear with every one and sold every one hate the danged cartridge!
Dunno why, love the 6.5/06, have a 280 and think it’s great . .277?yawn!LOL
Go figure........
Cat

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i guess it was a misunderstanding i was thinking it was a old 303 Brit army rifle .as far as custom Ruger #1`s i have a few and my favorites are my 2 - custom S.S. Ruger # 1`s Brux barreled 257 Weatherby Mags. thats the the way i feel with these 2 speed rifles too, i have killed many nice bucks with the 257 Weatherby Mag. cartridge.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I took that 270 loaded with the 250’s to the lands out today .
Ran 20 rounds through it from the bench and sitting and offhand at 200 and 100 yards.
She’s a solid 1 1/2 MOA rifle which is find for 200 meters, but I will bed the action anyway and see what else happen!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Another potential problem area is the rib bearing against the action at the rear.

My late brother had a Liberty 1B .270 that was a tackdriver. Pretty wood too. Heavy bugger, though.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by catnthehat
Originally Posted by pete53

Pete , I will NEVER give up my Ruger in 303!
It was not a factory issue it was a custom built job by Leeper for me .
As for the 270? Nope , nien, nada, nyet - ain’t Gonna happen!
Owned a couple , killed a few dear with every one and sold every one hate the danged cartridge!
Dunno why, love the 6.5/06, have a 280 and think it’s great . .277?yawn!LOL
Go figure........
Cat

Congratulations on the 270.

I have a question about your 303 barrel. What diameter did you get? When Ruger offered the limited run of 303 No 1s, I was going to buy one until I found out they were .314s. Ugh! Although that was the correct diameter, try and find bullets. I ha been making 0 3135" 200 grain bullets, but it was too much hassle making different weights with only one set of bullet dies. That's why I went with the 30-303. There are bullets everywhere.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I always wanted a No.1, but never found the right one at the right price at the right time. Then, about 12 or 13 years ago, a guy called me up, said he was selling one and my son had told him I might be interested. It was a 1B, included a big Nikon scope and a nice hard case. The price was right, I went and took a look. Only problem was it was a .308, a caliber I'd never really associated with a No. 1 for whatever reason. Anyway, I bought it and loaded up some shells. I never had a .308, but had been loading them for years for my brother and a couple of other guys. Also, I took the Nikon version of the Hubble telescope off it and put a 1 1/2 - 5 VXIII on it...made a much nicer package. First trip to the range was disappointing: 4" groups. I went on here and looked up some threads I remembered about making No. 1's shoot. I don't remember everything I did, I think I just relieved the forend wood a little where it was bearing against the receiver (sandpaper wrapped around a 12 gauge shell worked fine), maybe around the barrel too, wasn't much.Anyway, from then on out it's held just over a moa easily with no special load tuning. I've killed a few deer with it, it's one of my favorite deer rifles now.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Steve my rifle is NOT a factory Ruger offering but a total custom built by Leeper. He used a McGowan barrel for the build.
It was in fact the inspiration for Clay from Prophet River Firearms to ask about a limited run and Ruger ended up bringing them out as a regular run that year .
The conversation spilled over to CGN and lots of guys said if they were available they would buy one.
It all started here when I asked the campfire crew to help me pick out the details for a custom hunting rifle because I could not shoot my big 45/70 long range target gun anymore and we used that as the platform .
I’ll post some pics of it later on when I get a chance .
It is actually a no3 (but has had everything internal and external changed )
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09/02/19.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I know it isn't a factory Ruger. smile Clay and I talked about that limited run as well. I told him that I wouldn't be getting one because of the .314 diameter barrel.

It was actually JB that told me it was a .314. He had one for a while. I suppose I could have made some .314/.315 cast bullets, but that made my mind up about making a 30-303 instead.

What diameter did you go with for your No 3 barrel?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I never slugged it Steve but I THINK it is either a 3.11 or .312.
It could even be a tight .310!
I know it shoots everything from Barnes TSX’s to the old C.I.L.
KKSP’s super well.
I have heard that the Rugers had larger bores but know several owners that have a few that really shoot well.
Personally I was hoping they would bring it out in an RSI or a 1B simply because I prefer them over the 1A configuration
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09/02/19.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
That would make sense. I wish I could go back to the 1950s and find out who decided to produce all those undersized .311 and .312 bullets.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Confirmed it is a .311 barrel Steve :>)
Cat

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Excellent. Your bore matches the bullets. And the bullets match the bore. Win-win! grin

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 57 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,457
Posts18,471,135
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.