-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
These are bad news. Poisonous to cattle...

Invasive weed. They really propagate when the weather is wet as it has been for two years.

This ranch has them pretty bad. These are about 14' tall. Cutting them before they go to seed. They really need to spray them. But since they pay me to shred them, I can't well complain. wink

[Linked Image]

After a few rounds...

[Linked Image]

Y'all have these?

I'll probably get to the back of this ranch tomorrow. I'll be surprised if they aren't much thicker back there. I'll update with a photo of them REALLY thick.

https://rangeplants.tamu.edu/plant/sennabean-drummond-sesbania/

Toxic Agent

Sennabean plants contain sesbaimide, which is concentrated in the seed. The green and flowering plants are unpalatable; only the mature, dry legumes and seed are consumed. Animals raised in pastures with the plant learn to avoid it and are seldom poisoned. However, naïve cattle, goats or sheep placed on pastures containing dried plants in late fall and winter are often poisoned. Observations of field cases indicate that seeds are much more toxic when they first mature than 2 or 3 months later.

Signs of Livestock Ingestion

Signs of poisoning occur within 1 or 2 days after ingestion and may include: Depression; Diarrhea; Weakness; Rapid heart rate; Labored breathing; Death.

Clinical signs progress rapidly; sick animals often die within 24 hours. Diagnosis is confirmed when seeds and/or seed fragments are found in the rumen contents.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never seen em around here Barry. I see they are native to S & E TX. Guess it’s too dry for them here.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/27/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Never seen em around here Barry. I see they are native to S & E TX. Guess it’s too dry for them here.

Most of the time it is here too. (Dry)

But first, Hurricane Harvey left pastures flooded, then the rain we got all last year flooded everything for another year.

I think those seeds lay dormant in the ground until the right moisture occurs.

I usually only see them around stock tanks. They can get big in areas with constant water. Nothing will punch a hole in a pickup or tractor tire quicker, either... frown

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never heard of them. Glad they're not around these parts.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,188
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.