Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Son Jake, and friend made it in last night in NW Ontario for a fishing trip. After two hours of fighting wind, and caught in rocks, and cutting line,
they came in.

Maybe it will be better weather tomorrow.
Ever run bad weather on a sporting trip?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent 6 years in Kodiak, a lot of it outdoors. Learned this much, there is no such thing as bad weather ... only bad rain gear. smile

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
glad they got home safe.

i don't do florida during hurricane season.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have been blown off the water many times. One time, on a portage between lakes, there were dark clouds gathering. I opined that they were moving from northwest to southeast and would not involve us. Ten minutes later we were hunkered down (at least we had rain gear on instead of packing it) on the trail and could not see each other from five feet away.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wabigoon

No never. Only hunt and fish when it's 71.5 degrees, calm, and clear. grin

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Son Jake, and friend made it in last night in NW Ontario for a fishing trip. After two hours of fighting wind, and caught in rocks, and cutting line,
they came in.

All the time. It's Alaska.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
they came in.

got flipped over coming into packery channel jetties when there was a tropical storm in the bay of campeachie. or how ever you spell that, lost close to 10,000 in rods reels and and tackle.... but we lived by the grace of god.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This past July in Ontario I had a first time ever weather experience. Had a storm brewing to the West but the wind was blowing South to North. Told my buddy I thought it would miss us. Ten minutes later I said let's get our rain gear on. 10 minutes after that the sky to to South was getting dark and we saw a lightning bolt. I said let's head to the ramp, a 15 minute run to the East. Half ways there my buddy tapped my shoulder and pointed behind us, a wall of rain was coming. I was running thirty MPH and thought I could out run it. Next time he said look behind us there were water spouts headed toward us. Two passed to our left and one to the right. They were whirlwinds about forty to fifty feet tall and pulling water up off the white caps. Soon as they passed the rain hit and visibility went to hell. Fortunately we were ready to turn in behind the last point and the ramp was only a couple hundred yards away. Pulled out and headed back to camp. Power was out at camp for the next 20 hours due to trees down on the power lines.
Never raced water spouts before and don't care to do it again.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
More often bad weather than not, Wabi.

For about the 22 year in a row we got a great rain a few days before the dove opener, too. But, I'm glad we did. We needed it.

Plenty of water in the dirt road ruts of oil fields and ranches to keep them scattered and away from coming to water holes.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
they came in.

got flipped over coming into packery channel jetties when there was a tropical storm in the bay of campeachie. or how ever you spell that, lost close to 10,000 in rods reels and and tackle.... but we lived by the grace of god.

Rog, I am really glad the Lord had you in the palm of His hand that day

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I got blown off Leech Lake in MN one day last week. High wind takes the fun out of fishing.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
they came in.

My brother and I had a rough one out of Petersburg once in a skiff we rented from Scandia House. I would not want to do that one over again. But I fell in love with that area, some great Scandahoovians dere, by gol. and a replica of that world record sport-caught king.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In general, the bigger the boat, the worse weather it can handle, but many have been lost because they misguessed what their boat could handle or the severity of the weather. When in question, get off the water.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After a day of fishing on the Kenai several years ago, my buddies were going to run me back upriver and across Skilak to drop me off at the landing. They were spending the night and I had to head home. While running up river we came up to a couple of guys from Colorado who had busted the shear pin on their driftboats outboard. I took it apart and fixed it with whatever I could find to make it work. They offered to run me out as they were headed the same way.

We made it to about 1/2 mile from the mouth and I knew it was bad. The wind was screaching, it was damn near dark and all I could see was a wall of white when I looked at the lake. The prop was out of the water more than in. I told them I wasn't interested and to take me to shore. They tried to convince me it would be fine but I told them we'd all die, and if they were smart they'd listen and walk up the lake with me. They were more worried about bears in the dark then 6'-8' waves breaking down the lake. Luckily they listened to me and we hit the beach. Skilak Lake is no joke and it's not the place to be in those conditions.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kid0917
they came in.

My brother and I had a rough one out of Petersburg once in a skiff we rented from Scandia House. I would not want to do that one over again. But I fell in love with that area, some great Scandahoovians dere, by gol. and a replica of that world record sport-caught king.

Les's king?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
After a day of fishing on the Kenai several years ago, my buddies were going to run me back upriver and across Skilak to drop me off at the landing. They were spending the night and I had to head home. While running up river we came up to a couple of guys from Colorado who had busted the shear pin on their driftboats outboard. I took it apart and fixed it with whatever I could find to make it work. They offered to run me out as they were headed the same way.

We made it to about 1/2 mile from the mouth and I knew it was bad. The wind was screaching, it was damn near dark and all I could see was a wall of white when I looked at the lake. The prop was out of the water more than in. I told them I wasn't interested and to take me to shore. They tried to convince me it would be fine but I told them we'd all die, and if they were smart they'd listen and walk up the lake with me. They were more worried about bears in the dark then 6-8 waves breaking down the lake. Luckily they listened to me and we hit the beach. Skilak Lake is no joke and it's not the place to be in those conditions.

It can be like the Bering!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, lots !

Both freshwater lakes here & the ocean back in Australia !

Mother Nature is not to be trifled with.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan

We made it to about 1/2 mile from the mouth and I knew it was bad. The wind was screaching, it was damn near dark and all I could see was a wall of white when I looked at the lake. The prop was out of the water more than in. I told them I wasn't interested and to take me to shore. They tried to convince me it would be fine but I told them we'd all die, and if they were smart they'd listen and walk up the lake with me. They were more worried about bears in the dark then 6-8 waves breaking down the lake. Luckily they listened to me and we hit the beach. Skilak Lake is no joke and it's not the place to be in those conditions.

It can be like the Bering!

That's for sure! I nearly got my parents and I killed on my mothers Bday (Happy Bday mom!) after we had floated the canyon. I waited all damn day for the lake to lay down and it just wouldn't quit. I followed a guide out (who was in a much larger boat) and had to run all the way to the far shore as I couldn't turn to run downwind. It took almost an 1 1/2 hours to get to the other side. Once there we could run down the shore then cross back when we got down the lake a bit. That wind was blowing right down from the glacier into the cove by Hidden Creek. Friggin scary lake sometimes!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree Ptarmigan, that lake is no joke. lake Louise is another one that scares me.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kid0917
they came in.

Les's king?

Yah Suuurrreee.... you bettchaa!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

438 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 39 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.