Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
For the past 5 years, I've used the 6.5 Creedmoor for deer more than all of my other stuff combined.
Probably has as much to do with refining rifle/scope/barrel etc. preference as it does chambering but I sure like practicing more with it than the 7SAUM, 300wsm, 280, 270 etc.

Some targets that have been plinked blush :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice bunch of mature bucks.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
WSM for me.
Never understood what the Cultmoore does the isn’t already done .
If I need a lighter faster handling rifle I’ll carry my model 7 7-08

Last edited by Stilllearning; 09/01/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have seen exactly one used for hunting. At the deer check station on Ft Huachuca, my deer hanging and in the process of quartering it, guy shows up with a deer and starts running his mouth about shooting his buck with his 6.5 Creed, what a great round it is, how everyone should own one, blah, blah, blah.

Comes over to me and tells me I NEED to go buy a 6.5 Creed, cause its the greatest deer round on earth, blah, blah, blah. He finally got around to shutting up, asked me what I shot my deer with. Told him a 260. Joker turned around, walked away, and never looked at me the rest of the time I was there.

I have nothing against the Creed, just tired of everyone telling me I cant kill anything without one.

Hornady did a remarkable job marketing that round, that is fo' sho'.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It won't be at my hunting camp. Guys will be using the same guns they used 10 and even 20 years ago.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Never once heard nor saw any of the so-called Hornady marketing RE: 6.5 Creedmoor. Heard about it here, Googled up first hand reviews got me more interested, a used bargain got me buying (~7 years ago), trying it got me hooked, and results have kept me a believer. It's nothing but pure simplicity. Not sure I'm going to even bother reloading for it anymore. Had a 300WSM I wish I'd kept but is was not near as easy... Lowest price per round at Midway $1.60, a full $1.01 more than the cheapest Creedmoor. Extrapolate over a few thousand rounds.... Pays not just for ammo, but rifles and optics too. I dig the Hornady American Gunner 140s. I'm good with it.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
WSM for me.

Not trying to be a smart azz, but what does the WSM do that isn’t already done?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Tikka T3X Creed that I really like and is really becoming a favorite of mine. It will split duty this year along with my T3X superlite in 308.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by lastround
WSM for me.

Not trying to be a smart azz, but what does the WSM do that isn’t already done?

180 gr 30 cal bullets at 2980 FPS
168’s @ 3150
In a short action , and no belts to deal with.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No love for short fat rounds that may or may not feed well. The Creedmoor is an interesting round, having had several 6.5's I do know that they work. It is not "magical" and really does nothing more than a 6.5X55 or a 6.5x57 will do, perhaps they do it better. I would consider one, or a 6.5 PRC for a bit more horsepower.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If I were to come home some night and find the safe door empty and all my rifles gone, a 6.5 Creedmoor would be among my first purchases along with a .17 HMR and a .300 Win Mag .. not WSM. I'm a hunter, not a long range paper whacker. The CM is a good cartridge for my purposes, not sure it is better or worse than 7mm-08, though, and since I have a good .257 Roberts and a good .308, I don't need either one right now.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Last hunting “camp” I was in was in Alberta a few years ago. Had a few 300 win mags, a 7 mag, and a 338 edge... I was slumming the 6ai and 80 bts. I was beginning to think Alberta whitetail were the new elk!!! 1 80 gr bt killed the biggest buck of the year... grin

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by SKane
For the past 5 years, I've used the 6.5 Creedmoor for deer more than all of my other stuff combined.
Probably has as much to do with refining rifle/scope/barrel etc. preference as it does chambering but I sure like practicing more with it than the 7SAUM, 300wsm, 280, 270 etc.

Some targets that have been plinked blush :

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Skane, Yep, I remember you and BobinNH shooting some of those Kansas targets with Creeds, but if I'm remembering correctly BobinNH and your dad went back to their other rifles not being overly impressed?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The boys who say the Creeds don't offer any significant advantage for hunting over other cartidges, even other smilar 6.5s, are correct.

The boys who say that the Creed cartridges are properly designed for optimum performance in short-action rifles and that there's a bunch of good factory rifles and good factory ammo out there to feed them are also correct.

Those things don't conflict.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 6.5 Creedmoor is better than other 6.5's? Please explain that. Other than a short action, for what that is worth I do not understand. The 6.5X55 and the 6.5X57 can take the long heavy bullets without the powder capacity loss. The 6.5 built it's reputation on the long heavy bullets. Velocity? Explain how the Creedmoor has more than several others. I like the round, but better?? BS

Last edited by smithrjd; 09/01/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Rifle companies need to sell rifles. We need an excuse to buy more. I own 3 Creeds, 2 are unfired. But I also own a Ruger 300 and 338 RCM. The funny thing is I shot more deer with the 338 than any other rifle simply because of the short barrel and slightly shorter LOP. Makes a nice package for carrying around in the heavy brush.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The 6.5 Creedmoor is better than other 6.5's? Please explain that. Other than a short action, for what that is worth I do not understand. The 6.5X55 and the 6.5X57 can take the long heavy bullets without the powder capacity loss. The 6.5 built it's reputation on the long heavy bullets. Velocity? Explain how the Creedmoor has more than several others. I like the round, but better?? BS

I've got a friend that handload for 6.5 creedmoor while I load for my 6.5X55 swede in a long action and yes I can seat bullets way out compared to him. He runs a 130 accubond at 3000 fps and brages it up over my Swede load at 2930. If he adds anymore powder his bolt does get sticky so he backed off 1/2 grain for 3000. Needless to say he was a bit surprised when I loaded a few up and showed him I could push 3150 fps and no sticky bolt. I backed off to 3050 and am going to run that this year and time will tell but id bet a good chunk of change my brass lasts a lot longer than his

Trystan

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would agree that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a very good round/cartridge. One can find several rifles for not a lot of money. Great off the shelf ammo. Very efficient, and from reports works very well. My issue is with the "better" part. Experience says otherwise. Still if looking for a new rifle I would certainly consider one. Perhaps a better mouse trap, but the best mouse trap??

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I would agree that the 6.5 Creedmoor is a very good round/cartridge. One can find several rifles for not a lot of money. Great off the shelf ammo. Very efficient, and from reports works very well. My issue is with the "better" part. Experience says otherwise. Still if looking for a new rifle I would certainly consider one. Perhaps a better mouse trap, but the best mouse trap??

The only thing that makes it "better" is the great (and accurate) factory ammo, large selection of rifles properly twisted and throated (dozens - not several), and the fact that it fits in a 2.8" magazine while still allowing high BC 6.5 bullets (which matters to some).

If you call aligning all of those things "marketing", then I guess they marketed it extremely well. Too bad so many others have failed to do that.

I don't currently own one, but the ones I have owned did not disappoint me, and I am sure I will buy another sometime.

It's just hard to overlook a cartridge that makes everything so easy.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
WSM for me.

And that's a good choice. However, for someone that doesn't already have something like that, there are simply more choices available to them now in 6.5 than 7-08, I believe, for whatever reason, and that makes a difference.

FWIW, on those days when I find myself mulling over another Fieldcraft, the 7-08 seems to get the most contemplation, even though I'm totally bereft of dies, bullets, and brass, unless I count a bucket or so of .308 commercial and LC. Would prefer one with a #2 barrel. Maybe I'll stumble on an Alpine instead.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll see at least one on our annual white tail hunt. A 17 year old that has been hunting with us for several years has a T3X in 6.5 Creed. He started with a Savage 10 in .22-250, and that's what he moved up to. Good chance I'll see a couple more as well since a couple other hunters in our camp bounce between it and the 7-08.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 984 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.