Page 2 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Mayan roots.

Now theyre back, to work the tobacco fields 😄

Haha........those that work for in-laws look for the arrowheads. I would love to know if they find them down in Mexico.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dad had a buddy that was into looking for Indian artifacts and dad and I found a few when we went out with him. High sandy areas next to navigable water ways were always a good place to look. As I understand it those smaller heads with the grooved edges are bird points and the arrow heads with the flat back were the quickly made ones more for war arrows than hunting because they just split the shafts and tied the shaft around the head. What I could never figure out was why those Indians lost all those arrows? If I'd have spent all that time making one, I'd darn sure go looking for it once I'd shot it.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Windfall
Dad had a buddy that was into looking for Indian artifacts and dad and I found a few when we went out with him. High sandy areas next to navigable water ways were always a good place to look. As I understand it those smaller heads with the grooved edges are bird points and the arrow heads with the flat back were the quickly made ones more for war arrows than hunting because they just split the shafts and tied the shaft around the head. What I could never figure out was why those Indians lost all those arrows? If I'd have spent all that time making one, I'd darn sure go looking for it once I'd shot it.

All about arrowheads:

https://www.thoughtco.com/arrowheads-and-other-points-facts-167277

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I'd say that maybe half of these pieces were found in that field, or in close proximity.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Without any particular knowledge, looks like at least 3 different types in the top pic. Saw a poster display the other day with about twenty distinctive styles from around the country and through the years.

Thinking of some of the variations in "quality" , someone learning possibly, someone got a bargain maybe? They upgraded, tossed away, gave away, sold the scrappier ones like we'd get rid of the "club" rifle when we got a better one. You'd surely use what you had to try to get some grub.

There's some darn nice tiny bird points in various shades of obsidian from the Great Basin that are spectacular. Clear, opaque, black, banded... Hell of a display in the Indian Village restaurant in Lakeview Oregon, worth the stop but I honestly don't know if the displays are still there. There's various obsidian sources. For those from non-volcanic areas might be surprised there's a flow of obsidian with trails over and around it near Newberry Crater, south of Bend Oregon. Glass Buttes was another source. I came across areas of obsidian near Beatys Butte in SE Oregon. Fun stuff.

Pictures of the farm?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Way cool, James!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Google- Poverty Point

They took that land from my grandparents. Tons of Indian artifacts have been found there. As a kid, I remember seeing barrels of arrowheads, plum bobs, cooking stones, spear points, etc, at Karl Alexandra's place, and he had found them all on Granddad's farm.

I have a few broken pieces that my grandmother gave me.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to see a pic of one of these caves.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,940 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.