Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Skeeter's write up on Tom Threepersons is very good.

http://www.darkcanyon.net/tom_threepersons.htm

I have a copy of Skeeter's book, Good Friends, Good Guns,Good Whiskey, Selected Works of Skeeter Skelton, JBS Publications, ©1988. It is still in the original dust jacket and original shipping box from Shooting Times Magazine.

Although I opened the shipping box, I've not turned a page of the book as I have a bunch of the collected stories written by Skeeter in Shooting Times and special Skeeter editions.

I think I'll either put it on my table at the 4/10-11 gun show, or in the Campfire's Classified section.

I always looked forward to his articles.

L.W.

I’d LOVE to have that!!! I’ve never had a chance to read that one.
When I used to get a Shooting Times Magazine as a youngster, the first thing I did was turn to Skeeter’s article or story and read it first!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 03/28/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Patrick F. McManus was another great author from close to the same time period. I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DMc
Patrick F. McManus was another great author from close to the same time period. I thoroughly enjoyed them both.

Yep. Always enjoyed his “me and Retch Sweeney” escapades/ fiction stories.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
have his son for a friend on FB

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my dad knew him when he was young.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My Dad & I met him @ an NRA event in Seattle must have been late 70’s to the early 80’s. I was just a kid but remember him as a gentleman, very gracious with his time. I have his signature with an inscription in one of the books I toted with me down to the show.

I’m right at 6’ & he was a bit shorter than me so about 5’ 9-10”, of average build and remember he had that Texas accent. I liked him right off the bat.

We deal in lead, friend.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I read Skeeter's magazine writings regularly, also was influenced by his promotion of 5" barreled S & W's. I had both a 5" barreled S & W M/27 & M /29 and shot thousands of Skeeter's .44 Special load of 7.5gr. of Unique and 200gr RNFP bullets. I always remember a story from one of Skeeter's books titled "Bustamonte I hate you" about finding a nice SAA Colt down in old Mexico till he turned it over and found the Mexican's name looking as though he'd engraved it with a railroad spike.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I enjoyed his writing, and have his books! I wrote to Bill Jordan , for his book and mentioned Skeeter. When Bill signed my book, he wrote something like there will never be a nother like Skeeter!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I saw a Bill Jordan shooting exhibition in Raton, NM in the mid 1970's, his shooting skills were amazing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let’s keep this thread going!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Last I heard Bart was a state trooper in NM. I miss Skeeter myself. Not sure what he died of though. If I knew it's been too long to remember.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I seem to recall the complications from surgery story as being what I heard. But then; my memory ain't what it used to be. Although I remember well his writing and I sure do miss it. He was a real first class act.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also had the privilege of meeting Skeeter in Seattle at the NRA show. Shooting Times had a booth set up with a table full of magazines etc. I was standing there with my head down looking at all the literature when I looked up and right in front of me was this guy wearing a real ten gallon hat. He said hello and it suddenly dawned on me who he was. Instant tongue tiedness on my part. I almost stammered out something like "Do you know who you are?" But I caught myself just in time. Ended up have a pleasant conversation about what we did and what we used to do.
After I walked on, I remembered that I had a Bianchi crossdraw holster in the car so ran down to the parking area to get it so he could sign it. But when I returned he had left.
Missed the opportunity by that much.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (16penny, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 54 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,318
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.