Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by 805
This rechargeable is very nice especially for the price.

https://www.amazon.com/NITECORE-NU32-Rechargeable-Headlamp-LumenTac/dp/B07CV3VTYB

Be cautious of the rechargeable lamps. They don't last much more than 1/2 hr and take a lot longer than that to recharge.

Good grief...

Yeah. I chuckled when I read it.

In their instruction manual they claim 1hr on the brightest setting for the NU32.

Fair enough, but no headlamp is going to last long on high, and there are very few occasions where high is really necessary. Everything is a tradeoff for sure... for summer backpacking I just carry the Nitecore. For hunting I carry the Nitecore in addition to the Revolt... ie, I always have two light sources.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Black Diamond has their spot headlamps on sale for $25 (marked down from $40) right now. I just bought 2.

They use AAA batteries. Haven’t tried them in the field yet but they’re supposedly pretty excellent brightness-wise. Not sure how much more cold effects AAAs vs other power sources.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a different view on headlamps, but I do not do any serious backpack hunting anymore.

1. I want one that will not accidently turn on in the pack.
2. I want one that has the battery in the lamp, not on the back of the head harness with wiring to break. Been there done that a couple times.
3. I always carry two, and sometimes a spare set of batteries.
4. I prefer the ones that use AAA. Small easy to carry back up.
5. I require a red light to prevent night blindness and not to alert the critters when I am out bowhunting and prepping for a morning hunt in the dark.
6. I really like the adjustable brightness lamps that way you pick the brightness you need.

I bought four Rayovac brand from WM over 10 years ago and they have served me well, but they are wearing out and not as bright as they used to be.
I am looking to replace the couple I have left and the rechargeables have me interested.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

The BIGGEST #1 requirement should be - RED LIGHT....

Critters can see white - but for what ever reason they don’t react to red.....

It’s #1 for me on my list - there are so many good ones out there anymore it’s not hard to find one... at least not until you add RED to the list.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
head-lights all work well my only thing i like is that the light has batteries i can buy easy and have extras in my pack or truck,just in case so i use either AA or AAA always.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
head-lights all work well my only thing i like is that the light has batteries i can buy easy and have extras in my pack or truck,just in case so i use either AA or AAA always.

Ease of buying batteries and having extra power is what has kept me from rechargeable.

Arcus Venator
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

The BIGGEST #1 requirement should be - RED LIGHT....

Critters can see white - but for what ever reason they don’t react to red.....

It’s #1 for me on my list - there are so many good ones out there anymore it’s not hard to find one... at least not until you add RED to the list.

It's intensity of light, not color. Do a bit of research. Predator hunters have known this for decades.

I'm convinced some deer think I'm another deer at night with white light. I hike a lot in the dark, like tons, and I've had multiple deer let me walk to within feet of them looking right at me. Not sure if I'm blinding them or what but they act like I'm a deer. Got some video of this somewhere....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Check out the zebras. This is the best of both worlds. You can use them as a headlamp or just unclip it.

[Linked Image]

This... I've been running the same zebra light for the past several years. Bright, durable, and lasts a relatively long time. I simply unscrew the tail cap about 1/8 turn and the light cannot come on in your pack. If I lost it today I would have another one headed my way tomorrow.

Andy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the older, smooth-bodied Zebras better than the 'ribbed for her pleasure' ones. I lost one a few years ago and immediately ordered 2 more. Don't want to ever drop below 3.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Myself, I have 4 in use right now. My first headlamp was in 1982. I have used them daily for this time.
I don't need red light or flashing functions.
high/ low is enough

IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by REvans1957
I've been using the same Petzl headlamp for close to 20 years. Its never let me down.

Ditto

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Which particular Zebra headlamp do you guys prefer? Looking at the ones taking CR123 battery there are two different flood models and one you can pick flood or hotspot. Guessing the later is more handy?

Do or do not, there is no try.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the H600 MkII, and it's a great lamp, though it's been discontinued for a while. The MkIV looks pretty sweet.

Hotspot is my preference, and is more like a flood lamp than other headlamps I've used, anyway.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by NDHuntr
Which particular Zebra headlamp do you guys prefer? Looking at the ones taking CR123 battery there are two different flood models and one you can pick flood or hotspot. Guessing the later is more handy?

I prefer the AA models and run lithium. If I remember correctly the flood version is nice (good blend of spot and fill in light) and the more neutral color is better for seeing blood.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have all version of the Zebra Light 18650; hot spot, flood, and floody. For hunting I'd feel handicap without the hot spot version. The flood versions are great for working at night, in a tent, or around camp, but are terrible for lighting a trail. The hot spot does it all.

The batteries seem to last forever. Don't buy cheap 18650's. Get the purple Eagle Tac.

Here's what you want.

H600W MKIV http://www.zebralight.com/H600w-Mk-IV-18650-XHP35-Neutral-White-Headlamp_p_215.html

18650 Eagle Tac https://illuminationgear.com/products/eagletac-18650-3500mah-li-ion-rechargeable

XTAR VP2 charger https://www.amazon.com/XTAR-VP2-Sel...p;sprefix=xtar+vp%2Caps%2C147&sr=8-3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info!

Do or do not, there is no try.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I liked my Black Diamond Revo enough to buy another. Uses rechargeable or regular batteries. Comes with rechargeable. I like it because If needed I can plug it in to my Anker power bank and recharge it with a small cord that plugs into USB.

I have the BD Revolt too, and it's a good light. I like the Nitcore better (it's a rechargeable like the Revolt), but as you mention, the Revolt can use rechargeable or regular AAA batteries, which can be handy at times.

However, the Nitcore is smaller, 1.5 oz's lighter, equally bright, has the most positive "on-off lock" of any headlamp I've had, and also can be charged in the field with a power bank and USB cord.

I just bought a couple of Nitecore NU25's to give them a try this season. My first rechargeable headlamps. I'll also pack a battery powered backup Petzl or Black Diamond headlamp just because I like to have a fallback plan.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Didn't read the thread.

Here's my criteria.

300 lumens, minimum. Has to take standard batteries. Then we are done.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

For me, Zebralight H600W 11 is hard to beat. Use it every day at work and no complaints. Also, have two spare Eagletac 3400mah batteries as back-up

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Black Diamond.

Greg

Last edited by redjones; 09/05/19.

Semper Fi
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.