Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

First thing I did was get it CLEAN. Everywhere, but especially around the extractor. Didn't help. I'm really hoping the new extractor solves it. Maybe I should ping Redneck before I do anything else?

Your extractor is broken. It doesnt matter how clean it is, its not going to work right until you change it.

The extractor may be "wrong" somehow, and need replacing, but it is not obviously broken.
Repeating: "Nothing looks damaged or worn about the extractor."
The above was from checking it out with a good bit of magnification.
I think it may have something to do with how tightly and smoothly the extractor slides in its groove.
You know how these things are (like 260Remguy's magazines above), one works, one doesn't, and you cannot find a thing different between the two. I just hope one works!

You probably know this, but I'll say it anyway - there are two different extractors for the M100, depending on serial number range.. Just FYI.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

First thing I did was get it CLEAN. Everywhere, but especially around the extractor. Didn't help. I'm really hoping the new extractor solves it. Maybe I should ping Redneck before I do anything else?

Your extractor is broken. It doesnt matter how clean it is, its not going to work right until you change it.

The extractor may be "wrong" somehow, and need replacing, but it is not obviously broken.
Repeating: "Nothing looks damaged or worn about the extractor."
The above was from checking it out with a good bit of magnification.
I think it may have something to do with how tightly and smoothly the extractor slides in its groove.
You know how these things are (like 260Remguy's magazines above), one works, one doesn't, and you cannot find a thing different between the two. I just hope one works!

You probably know this, but I'll say it anyway - there are two different extractors for the M100, depending on serial number range.. Just FYI.. smile

Redneck,

Thank you so much for telling me that. If I did know that, I forgot it. I'm pretty sure but not positive that I bought the extractor from Jack First. I hope I have the correct one. Is there an obvious way to tell if I have the right one?

(A sad update is my friend who I originally sold the rifle to and who I was planning to give it back to died suddenly this past Sunday morning. Cardiac arrest, probably a blood clot due to a recent difficult surgery. He was 64, which seems too young, especially to me! But I know his son, and if I can get the damn thing working the rifle will go to him.)

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It's been a while since I worked with those - probably 7-8 years now.... I don't have any of the extractors left but I recall a slight difference in those if you place 'em side by side..

The S/N to note is 119,000... I originally obtained 'em from Gunpatch Parts Depot - and the part number for those above that S/N is #6300.. For 119,000 and below, it's part #1200..

Did Jack First ask you for the S/N of the rifle when you called?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Redneck,

Thank you for the reply. I honestly don't remember if Jack First asked me about S/N. This is one of those "back burner" things, and I bought the extractor a long time ago.

I can compare them side by side, and with the info you have given me about S/N number and part number, maybe I can find a part number on the envelope it came in (plus I sometime store receipts with the parts.)

I vaguely recall something about a difference, perhaps having to do with the countersunk hole that the spring loaded plunger pushed into in order to force the extractor to the "rest" position?

I hope this is the last M100 I ever have to deal with. Between it being one of my father's guns that I didn't like, and now my friend dying unexpectedly, I particularly want to be shed of this one!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
It's been a while since I worked with those - probably 7-8 years now.... I don't have any of the extractors left but I recall a slight difference in those if you place 'em side by side..

The S/N to note is 119,000... I originally obtained 'em from Gunpatch Parts Depot - and the part number for those above that S/N is #6300.. For 119,000 and below, it's part #1200..

Did Jack First ask you for the S/N of the rifle when you called?

Thats good info. If i remember Correctly, my old time smith (now retired) knew exactly which one i needed, since mine was a first year (early model) rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Fwrogg Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Sorry to hear of your friends passing, but great gesture giving it to his son. Hope it works fine after the update.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Fwrogg
Sorry to hear of your friends passing, but great gesture giving it to his son. Hope it works fine after the update.

I hope it works fine too. Thank you for the condolences about my friend.
Don't give me too much credit. My friend bought the rifle from me years ago. It isn't mine. In the "fog of divorce" I ended up with it. I don't know who it rightfully should go to, but I picked the person who bought it to start with. He unexpectedly passed. His son is the logical choice. All I would do is sell it or trade it, and that wouldn't be right.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

634 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 80 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,477
Posts18,471,593
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.