Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I buy cheap cans of tuna fish ..

you mean the ones with high content heavy metal mercury..? .

No. The Starkist that’s on sale. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have graduated from so-called chunk light all the way to solid albacore.... Still fairly cheap, low carb, quick grub. Add some mayo and whole grain bread and it's lunch. Add rice, dinner.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was a kid, we ate a lot of watercress salads till the lettuce came in. Mom would have served Spam if Dad had let her, but he ate so much of it during the war, she was forbidden from bringing it into the house. When things get tight we eat a lot of eggs. Fried or scrambled for breakfast and egg salad for lunch or dinner. We'll scavenge the freezer and get creative if need be with whatever's left in there. We will eat canned tuna once in a while too. I always take whatever leftovers we have for lunch at work, and we get pretty ferocious with the coupon shopping too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'm convinced Bumble Bee is the best big brand. Hopefully not on the boycott list.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by Gus
trapping rabbits and possums in rabbit boxes works as a supply of protein.

remember the dog has to eat too. showing ribs is ok, but not starving.

I draw the line at possums. I think I’d rather go hungry 😬

Ha ha... takes a certain kind of hunger to eat one of those nasty things!
Gus be a brave man!

Hard to say about eating 'possum while sitting here all fat and happy with a full stomach. But knowing the kinds of things 'possums regularly eat, I believe I would just about have to be knocking on starvation's door, and even then 'possum would be near the very bottom of the list of meat that I would think long and hard before trying to eat.

I had some older relatives who raised gardens and also still ate 'possum for their meat source back in the day during hard times and said they were glad to have it at the time.

So, I suppose I could too if I got hungry enough and 'possum was all there was to eat and probably be just as glad as they were to have it, too.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gus

knows a family that woz so poor they had to jrk the family dog off to feed the cat.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I had a student loan glitch in college.... zero money..... some friends had had a bumper crop of beets in their garden and gave me a huge bag full of them. I lived on beets and white rice (which was very reddish/purple after been steamed together....) for maybe 3 weeks. It was 20 years before I could even look at beets again.

It wasn't 3 weeks, but I only had a 5 day meal ticket, while at college. So, I would tank up Friday night at the cafeteria, eat all I could, because it would be Monday morning before I had another meal. Then go down to Safeway's and on Friday they put the fruit on sale. For a couple of dollars, I would get a bag full of fruit, usually oranges. Whichever fruit was on sale, was what I ate for the weekend. I'll eat fruit, but not very often.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by Gus

Gus be a brave man!

Hard to say about eating 'possum while sitting here all fat and happy with a full stomach. But knowing the kinds of things 'possums regularly eat, I believe I would just about have to be knocking on starvation's door, and even then 'possum would be near the very bottom of the list of meat that I would think long and hard before trying to eat.

I had some older relatives who raised gardens and also still ate 'possum for their meat source back in the day during hard times and said they were glad to have it at the time.

So, I suppose I could too if I got hungry enough and 'possum was all there was to eat and probably be just as glad as they were to have it, too.

When my kids were little there really wasn't enough money to feed all of us with store bought food. We grew a big garden and ate game meat year round at nearly every meal. Store bought meat was a real splurge back then and happened only rarely. We grew several hundred pounds of potatoes, carrots and onions every year. we put the potatoes in burlap bags, tied the carrots and onions in bunches by their tops with twine and hung them from the floor joists in the cellar. They'd keep that way for months and combined with venison, rabbit, squirrel, woodchuck, wild turkey, grouse, pheasant, ducks and geese we always had the makings of a good meal. I learned back then no matter what to keep a good, accurate .22 rifle and some ammo on hand all the time because an 89 cent box of .22LR's could put hundreds of pounds of venison on the table if you were careful and you just can't get meat much cheaper than that. We did try eating a coon once but it was nasty and we threw it out after taking one bite. I really don't want to find out what possum tastes like and thankfully was never hungry enough to need to.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Agree that if you prepare your own food, cheap ingredients can make 5 star meals. My income has increased in the past 2.5 decades, and while I do feed more mouths, the cost per mouth probably hasn't changed much.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EIB0879
In my first non-military job after college I pretty much lived on tuna fish, olives, and ramen noodles for a year. Occasionally I would go to Wendy's and get a cup of chilli. I wasn't making much.

One time I was out of work for a while. I went to a St Patrick's/ St Joseph's day parade in New Orleans were I lived. They threw cabbage, carrots, and potatoes off of the floats. I filled a couple of burlap bags with those. Add some tomato paste and I didn't have much of a food bill for three months.

Now THATS eating cheap. You win. 😜

Yep, that's some cheap grub.

Got a powdered sugar donut once. Came out of the Sierras after hiking for a week or so, standing down on US 395 trying to hitch a ride down to Bridgeport. Station wagon with a good size family coming down the road, all of a sudden one of the kids in the back leans out the window, throws something at me and my bud. We looked pretty rough, "hippie like" if you will, and the kids and family looked a bit 50's like. Whatever he threw went over our heads, so I walked over and found the donut. We ate it, after a week of dehydrated foods a powdered donut tasted really good, and it was free!

Not when poor, but just because they were free for the taking I'd stop at a particular place near the WA/OR border on the south side of the Columbia river outside Wallula. Trucks hauling carrots, onions, and taters would dump their overweight portions before hitting the scales in a wide spot on the road. Free veggies are OK with me too, even when I'm flush and can afford to shop.

But burlap bags full of free stuff from a parade, that tops anything I've ever gotten.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was in college I worked in housekeeping at a ski resort. On “checkout day” I’d go through the units and inventory everything, then start cleaning. Folks would leave all kinds of stuff behind. Found a 1/2 eaten casserole one day in the fridge and figure that if they were rich enough to stay there they were probably decent people.....popped that thing in the oven and chowed down.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Grocery stores will throw away good food too.....so I have been told.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by joken2

Originally Posted by Gus

Gus be a brave man!

When my kids were little there really wasn't enough money to feed all of us with store bought food. We grew a big garden and ate game meat year round at nearly every meal. Store bought meat was a real splurge back then and happened only rarely. We grew several hundred pounds of potatoes, carrots and onions every year. we put the potatoes in burlap bags, tied the carrots and onions in bunches by their tops with twine and hung them from the floor joists in the cellar. They'd keep that way for months and combined with venison, rabbit, squirrel, wild turkey, grouse, pheasant, ducks and geese we always had the makings of a good meal. I learned back then no matter what to keep a good, accurate .22 rifle and some ammo on hand all the time because an 89 cent box of .22LR's could put hundreds of pounds of venison on the table if you were careful and you just can't get meat much cheaper than that.

The thing with my old (now long deceased) relatives, though, was back during their hard times there were NO deer or wild turkeys anywhere at all around this part of the country, and other small game like rabbits, squirrels, racoon, quail (no pheasant or grouse here either), etc., etc., were hard to find because there were lots of other hungry people that hunted, trapped (and poached) them for food, too. Dogs pretty much had to hunt game or work livestock in order to earn their leftover scraps, otherwise they were soon gone.

Livestock like milk cows, hogs, chickens, goats and such were mostly for raising cash money to buy needed things they could grow or make by selling the milk, butter, cream, eggs, smoked cured hams, shoulders, bacon. and the like. Keeping beef cattle was almost unheard of for poorer folks back during their hard times.

Last edited by joken2; 09/07/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Grocery stores will throw away good food too.....so I have been told.

I tend to look on the day old rack, the corner of the meat counter with mark down "old" packages, and the bags of good fruit that is starting to get a bit ripe and therefor marked down..................................before that stuff gets to the dumpster.

Have had numerous friends down on their luck that did their share of diving though.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I consider those corner bin steaks premium because they are "aged". Seriously, I snag that stuff all I can.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
You just have to ask if they have anything that you could give to the hogs or chickens.

I assume.....

I am MAGA.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
That would be college days for me, 1980-1985 central coast of California. So either cube steaks and Rancher beans or $.99/lb tri-tip and said beans.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
When young and starting out, we would pick potatoes from the fields. What the machines left, usually a dollar for fifty pounds. I would pick any fruit and berries I could find. Lots of blackberrIes and raspberries where we live, growing wild. The wife would can or make jelly and syrup! Buy twenty pounds of beans. Deer ,elk or fish plus some hamburger. Make a large pot of chile, bake a couple potatoes! Pour child over potatoes, became one of my favorite dinners and still works well! Oatmea, and bulk rice made up breakfast most days. That was a long time ago. Eating good and cheap is possible if needed! We still can lots of garden food, and fruit! Somethings are just better made at home. Never liked Raman noodles so we passed on those cheap packages!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Venison
Wild Pig
Piquito Beans
Tortillas
Chicken

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
You just have to ask if they have anything that you could give to the hogs or chickens.

I assume.....

When I first got out of the Navy a homeless Eskimo showed me all the best places and times to dumpster dive. He used to sleep on a balcony of a hotel down in Va Beach during off season in the winter. Those were the days! When I was poor as dirt, I just had faith in God that things would work out.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 36 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.