Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
OK, ship and boat guys. A 700 foot long ship loaded with 1,000 cars. How do they fix this? Do they try to get the ship upright there in the ocean?
Do they bring in a submarine for torpedo practice and just sink it? Seriously, do they tow it back to port, or what?

I wonder the same thing.

That's one F'ed up situation right there.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Officials are working to stabilize the ship so they can go inside and rescue the four remaining crew members.

Always wanted to be trapped inside a burning ship frown

Been there done that, ain't no fun. Skip it if you can.

My Uncle was trapped on the Sea Witch for I think 3 days.

The Sea Witch collided with the Esso Brussels in NY Harbor , 1973.

I have some newspaper articles about that around here somewhere.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
OK, ship and boat guys. A 700 foot long ship loaded with 1,000 cars. How do they fix this? Do they try to get the ship upright there in the ocean?
Do they bring in a submarine for torpedo practice and just sink it? Seriously, do they tow it back to port, or what?

I wonder the same thing.

That's one F'ed up situation right there.

You can bet that there will be some big air bags involved. I’m thinking about a cruise ship that ran aground and ended up on its side.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I doubt they attempt to bring it into port in that condition. You could potentially tie up port operations for a long time if things went bad. Think of a cork in a bottle. My guess is that they would tow it into protected waters where it could be anchored securely and stabilized. Once that was done, they probably attempt some sort of parbuckling operation. The design of the ship will make removing cargo very difficult. That's going to require a world class salvage company and a lot of coordination. The Coast Guard has their hands full here and it won't be cheap for the shipping company.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If (one of the hugest words in the language) it's mostly a flooded compartment issue, they should be able to pump them out one at a time until the ship rights itself. After that, it would seem to be a simpler matter. Not easy, but simpler.

I don't see any recent updates on the four missing persons or rescue ops. Anybody have one?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If (one of the hugest words in the language) it's mostly a flooded compartment issue, they should be able to pump them out one at a time until the ship rights itself. After that, it would seem to be a simpler matter. Not easy, but simpler.

I don't see any recent updates on the four missing persons or rescue ops. Anybody have one?

They have been located (alive), and efforts are underway to rescue them -- FOX News

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Beoceori,

I was wondering about that myself this morning.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
One can only imagine what was going through those guys minds when the rescue party finally made contact with them.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
That's fabulous news!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by kellory
Was it anywhere near that island the senator was concerned about flipping over?

Nope. Different ocean.

An island here, an island there, pretty soon we are talking about real island flipping....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I wonder- are all those cars individually secured or "loose"? If the latter, that's going to make it right interesting!

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
las,

was told back in '77 when I bought my first brand new car, a Subaru wagon, that the "loop" in front that I thought would be a towing spot was actually for tying them down on the ship for transport. Have noticed all my cars since have them, so I'll make the grand assumption they were tied down.

Loose cargo on a seagoing vessel is not a good thing.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For some details with photo's here goes:https://maritimebulletin.net/2019/09/08/car-carrier-capsized-crew-evacuated-brunswick-usa/

" The Coast Guard said there were 23 crew members and pilot on board. All but four crew members have been safely evacuated from the ship. Apparently, weather has nothing to do with this disaster. It looks like sudden loss of stability, which may be caused by faulty ballasting, or cargo shift, or a mass of water on cargo deck – one of main dangers for ships with cargo compartments going throughout the ship both in length and width, like car carriers or ro-ro ferries. Residents of Brunswick mentioned in comment fire fighting, that if true, may explain water on cargo deck or decks.
The ship is resting on bottom, portside. Maybe, or highly probably, she was intentionally led to shallows and grounded to avoid capsizing and sinking in deeper waters.

Sep 9 UPDATE: 4 crew, all Koreans, remain missing. 6 Korean, 13 Filipino crew and American pilot rescued. There was fire, according to USCG report, and it was still on after ship capsized, according to photos. Fire is or was on cargo deck.

Sep 9 evening UPDATE: Coast Guard rescuers found four South Korean crew members trapped inside a massive cargo ship, by drilling a hole through the hull to contact them. “The early indication is they are on board and OK,” Lt. Lloyd Heflin told The Associated Press. Heflin said the rescue team is communicating with the trapped sailors through the hole they drilled, but getting them out remains quite challenging. According to Korean MFA, all 4 are alive and trapped in engine room. Hopefully, they’ll be soon rescued. Congratulations, all concerned, and hail the Coast Guard!"

===

I expect it will be some time before we find if the ship was first unstable and then fire resulted, or if fire caused/added to the instability first and the systems either failed or could not correct quick enough.

For those who questioned - yes, a steel ship can burn to the water line. Paint, flammables, fluids, etc all burn. Burn hot enough and steel melts, malforms, collapses etc. Fighting the fire must be very quick in response as the deck will get so hot you cannot get up to the fire to fight it. I trained with two former Naval fire fighters and was amazed at how fast you must be to get it under control. Beyond a certain point it is the fire fighting from fire boats etc that will simply bring an end to the inevitable. Just glad most have gotten off safely.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The ship is resting on the ocean floor. That is what it looks like.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The ship is resting on the ocean floor. That is what it looks like.

Yup. Makes me wonder if they first grounded and then the ocean water flow tipped them over like an old outhouse. Inside would be the same in both cases; [bleep] everywhere.

( I see the posting has "bleeped" me out. Just use the word caca everywhere and you get the meaning) Wouldn't want to offend anyone would we? I do believe they feel stupid enough to have the whole world see the result. The fact that an American pilot aboard might indicate close passage in, or out, of dock. We shall see if pilot error is part of the picture.

Last edited by sierraHunter; 09/09/19.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, he started having some kind of problem, so he deliberately ran it aground? Did he realize it might tip over?
And what kind of monster tug boats would you have to have to pull it back to open water.

I would love to get the complete story on this cluster f*ck.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bring in the Glomar

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Hope those sailors make it...

Top heavy and ballast got screwed......

It’s hard to flip a ship unless something goes very bad.

Fingers crossed all aboard make it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
It reminds me if this.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.