Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
,...on string trimmers?

Stihl makes a tool called a "Yard Boss" with a 27cc 2 stroke motor. It comes with a small tiller head that I'm not interested in. But it can also be fitted with a string trimmer head that will accept a circular brush cutting blade. The rig has fairly wide set handlebars and can be outfitted with an optional pair of wheels. It seems to me that it would be a good tool for cutting down shrubs and various vegetation without having to crawl around on the ground with a chainsaw.

So has anyone had any experience with a string trimmer equipped with a circular brush cutting blade?,....if so, how well did it work and what size engine was on the string trimmer that you outfitted with the blade?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bristoe
,...on string trimmers?

Stihl makes a tool called a "Yard Boss" with a 27cc 2 stroke motor. It comes with a small tiller head that I'm not interested in. But it can also be fitted with a string trimmer head that will accept a circular brush cutting blade. The rig has fairly wide set handlebars and can be outfitted with an optional pair of wheels. It seems to me that it would be a good tool for cutting down shrubs and various vegetation without having to crawl around on the ground with a chainsaw.

So has anyone had any experience with a string trimmer equipped with a circular brush cutting blade?,....if so, how well did it work and what size engine was on the string trimmer that you outfitted with the blade?

GD hippies are costing you a Fng fortune.
Just get a D6 and get it over with.

Last edited by Kyhilljack; 09/11/19.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
lolol,....yeah,..but it gives me something to do and new gadgets to play with.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't tried one yet. I battle the autumn olive around here. It's every where. Now I got the honey suckle bush starting up too. Should be quite a struggle between the two.

We pray our sights be straight
and our aim be true
We pray for no pain
to the game we pursue
We thank you Lord
for this land
We thank you for the sights
from our stands
We pray for safety, one and all
We pray we may return next fall
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
lolol,....yeah,..but it gives me something to do and new gadgets to play with.

in general a real brush cutter is for the big boys to play with. i'm serious, and the gadget needs max power.

but heh, playing around in the yard ain't a bad hobby, can be good exercise and leave one feeling effective.

and why not a tiller attachment for the wife's flower beds? i mean, let's go the distance or stay home.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I’ve got an older Stihl FS250, which is 40cc, that I picked up at a pawn shop for $80. It has handlebars and a harness.

For heavy weeds/stalks, I recommend one of those “tri-blades”. They will sling grass at least well enough to keep from getting constantly clogged. The key is to use a pretty dramatic side to side motion with the machine.

For small brush/trees, I bought one of the blades off eBay that looks like it has chainsaw links on its edge. It works well, but is useless on grass, as it gets bogged/tangled almost immediately.

I wouldn’t recommend the saw blade to folks unless they have the handlebars/harness. Too dangerous if all you have is the small D-handle. Use a smaller 8” blade rather than one of the larger ones, if your machine in underpowered.

I wouldn’t want to clear large areas with one, but for feeder pens and knocking down small trees that are too big for pruning shears, it’ll save you from getting down on your knees with a chainsaw.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Mine is an FS240 with the Stihl chisel tooth blade is great in weeds to trees. You can sharpen the blade with a chainsaw file.

Get a trimmer/cutter with handle bars and a harness.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Check them out on utube - they rip ass .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oif you want to get rid of vines and briers.....get a Brush Blender.
Straight blade with the ends bent down.
You won’t believe it.

Google “Brush Blender Husqvarna” look at the video. It works that good.

Eats honeysuckle and briars......except for the bottom of the stem. 8’ hedge you can mow over afterwards.

Just bring it down and cuts everything on the way down.

Look at the video.

Last edited by 257_X_50; 09/11/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Back in the late '80s I bought a new Snapper (same company as Snapper mowers) brand string trimmer that came with a round, saw blade type brush cutter attachment.

That brush cutter blade was really something else. It would saw right through scrub saplings with trunks as big around as my wrist with ease and pretty quick too.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not sure how well the Yard Boss is going to run a blade but this machine will run a blade all day long and not bitch for one second, it's a lot more money but it is a lot more machine.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's hard not to see the straight shaft on that stihl.

i wish i had one.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
You won’t believe it.

Eats honeysuckle and briars......except for the bottom of the stem. 8’ hedge you can mow over afterwards.

Look at the video.

That guy is gonna work his tail off in that first video. I could clear more in 10 seconds with my Billy Goat brush cutter than he did in 2 mins swinging that thing up and down. Anything under about 1-1/2”, I can run up on with the Billy Goat and it does the job.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
,...on string trimmers?

I bought one 35 years ago. It had twin grips like a motorcycle. It was the biggest one they made. It worked great. It is not a boys toy! It can hurt you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Reba; 09/11/19.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had that set up on a Stihl,and it was a beast.
I could cut nice deer trails anywhere,only problem with it was you felt like you got hit by a truck if I used it for long periods of time.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
In my experience they leave little stumps that look like they could poke a hole in a tire. I wouldn't use it where I planned to drive. I picked up a king kutter brush cutter for 250. I left the blades dull. The stumps look like the end of a straw broom.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have one, it cuts hell out of small brush.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
You won’t believe it.

Look at the video.

That guy is gonna work his tail off in that first video. I could clear more in 10 seconds with my Billy Goat brush cutter than he did in 2 mins swinging that thing up and down. Anything under about 1-1/2”, I can run up on with the Billy Goat and it does the job.

If you can get one in there.
I do maintenance on the Appilatian Trail.......Billy Goat isn’t going in a lot of places.
And do you wanna walk it in 5 miles and back.

And a hedge of MF rose briars and vines is so dense you can’t get that goat started ......and it’s 8’ High.

I can just carve the face back.

Right tool for the job. Sometimes Brush Blender.......sometimes Billy Goat.

And the OP asked about blades on a weedwacker

Last edited by 257_X_50; 09/11/19.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I'm not sure how well the Yard Boss is going to run a blade but this machine will run a blade all day long and not bitch for one second, it's a lot more money but it is a lot more machine.

Good gosh, the Stihl is worth more than the tractor thats driving around in the background. A decent tractor & a damn $500 bushhog does all that.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
A carbide tipped table saw blade is bad ass in a brush cutter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (17CalFan, 1Longbow, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,724
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.