-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't the thumpers believe earth is 6000 years old?

living the good life every day
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by xxclaro
And yes, I do call that science....you study and gather as much info as you can and try to draw conclusions from that. As new information or technology comes on the scene, you go back and look at the previous work to see if it can't be improved. If it can, you do so, and publish the new information. That's how its supposed to work. It's not perfect, but it's the only approach that makes sense.

This.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Why? Because rate of change is what we call time.

Our concept of time is based on our perception of change in the physical world, it is linear and unidirectional. So outside our three dimensional world time can have no meaning. I've always fancied this quote by Spinoza: "Measure, time and number are nothing but modes of thought or rather of imagination."

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by DBT
Why? Because rate of change is what we call time.

Our concept of time is based on our perception of change in the physical world, it is linear and unidirectional. So outside our three dimensional world time can have no meaning. I've always fancied this quote by Spinoza: "Measure, time and number are nothing but modes of thought or rather of imagination."

You appear to have missed the part where I said that if God exists and has the capacity to think and act, each thought and action has a beginning, a middle and an end. Rather than being timeless, this is time as defined as a rate of change.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can say that connotes some sort of order but it isn't time. Go back to the definition, a sequence of events as we perceive them. We can only perceive events in three dimensional space which is our physical universe. So the concept of time can only occur in our three dimensional universe.

There is a thought experiment where a two dimensional creature lives on a two dimensional plane. He encounters us living in three dimensions. To the two dimensional creature we seem to zip in and out of existence as we move about the third dimension. How can the two dimensional creature explain that? He can't because he cannot experience that third dimension. He may hypothesize but he will never know.

So as far as what goes on outside our three dimensions we can never know. Perhaps religion notwithstanding but that's another matter.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Of course hard drive space is real. Each data bit occupies physical space consisting of magnetic domains. For more data either you need greater physical size or use fewer domains per bit. Of course space meaning an area within a field.

Then how can you delete a bunch of stuff once the hard drive is full, then add more, but yet a forensic team can recover what was deleted?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Of course hard drive space is real. Each data bit occupies physical space consisting of magnetic domains. For more data either you need greater physical size or use fewer domains per bit. Of course space meaning an area within a field.

Then how can you delete a bunch of stuff once the hard drive is full, then add more, but yet a forensic team can recover what was deleted?

Like erasing pages of data on a piece of paper written in pencil, then penciling over it with new data. Even after erased, careful inspection can reveal what was erased and written over.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A hard drive is divided into segments - maybe I can find a picture. When you write a file to the drive it's written to one or more segments. There's an index area on the disk which associates the file name with a specific segment. From there indexing schemes vary but it all works to tell you the segments the file uses and in what order.

[Linked Image]

When you delete a file to save time all that happens is the index entry for the first segment is labeled as not being used, OK to write over. Now you can delete a file with something like the infamous Bleach Bit that Hillary used. That overwrites the whole file, bit by bit.

So if you just delete you can search the index to find the first segment, which will lead you to the next segment, etc. This was a not uncommon chore in the floppy disk days, sometimes things just go wrong. The file entry in the index started with the file name. If the file was deleted the first character of the file name was replaced with a null. Not too hard to find and fix. Beyond that if you find one segment it'll tell you where the next segment is and depending on the file system maybe where the previous segment is.

Now the Bleach Bit erase is harder. If you overwrite an entire file bit by bit you can still read a ghost image of the old file with the proper equipment. Bleach Bit and others overwrite the file a number of times with a specific pattern. This is specified by DOD for erasing secret files. Pretty much makes data recovery impossible - why Hillary isn't staying at the old graybar.

( I use the shred utility that comes with Free AVG. I trust they've implemented the DOD specification properly. But there's been nothing on my computer that would warrant a difficult and very expensive retrieval if AVG didn't get it exactly right.)

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Interesting. You challenge science because they made a revision to an estimate. And you base your ridicule on a bible that has been mistranslated and revised how many times?

If you care to know the facts, you can read the forward to almost any new Bible. I am not talking about paraphrased types to make them easy to read. The forward will tell you they are using the oldest available manuscripts in the original languages. Some manuscripts go back to the first century. There is nothing the Bible in ancient literature.

Oldest available does not mean first draft. Additionally, To say the only use "the oldest available" is simply not true. What some believe to be the oldest "manuscript" of the Old Testament is piece of parchment the size of a post card. They didn't drive an entire bible of that, so completeness and textual deviance also play a role in determining what manuscripts to use. Regardless even the oldest we have available deviate from each other.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Robert_White
https://mynorthwest.com/1510612/study-finds-the-universe-might-be-2-billion-years-younger/?

Evidently the materialists are having a hard time keeping their fairy tales straight!

That is less than a 10% error in a brand new field trying to determine events which obviously happened thousands of millions of years before our sun even began to condense from a cloud of gas.

I would say that even getting within 10% is pretty darned good.

Have you ever mounted a brand new scope on a brand new rifle and hit a ten inch bull at 1000 yds with the first pull of the trigger?

I will not laugh at you if you have not.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You can say that connotes some sort of order but it isn't time. Go back to the definition, a sequence of events as we perceive them. We can only perceive events in three dimensional space which is our physical universe. So the concept of time can only occur in our three dimensional universe.

There is a thought experiment where a two dimensional creature lives on a two dimensional plane. He encounters us living in three dimensions. To the two dimensional creature we seem to zip in and out of existence as we move about the third dimension. How can the two dimensional creature explain that? He can't because he cannot experience that third dimension. He may hypothesize but he will never know.

So as far as what goes on outside our three dimensions we can never know. Perhaps religion notwithstanding but that's another matter.

Of course it is time. Anything, a thought, an action, an event that has a beginning a middle and an end has duration. Movement or rate of change is what we define as time. Be it one, two or three dimensions of space and one of time....or vice versa.

Last edited by DBT; 09/14/19.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I believe in Intelligent Creation.I believe God to be highly intelligent.I also believe that Earth is Millions if not Billions years old.I think The Bible has been twisted by Men to fit their own conclusions.I believe the stories in The Bible are factual but the time frames are not.Nothing ever handed down by man ever resembles what actually happened by the time it passes through two generations.Look how the lefties are trying to twist the History of The US.Kids now a days have no clue on what happened in the 2nd World War to the Jews.History is always being revised for the benefit of those who seek power.That has been that way from the beginning and will never change.Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Huntz
I believe in Intelligent Creation.I believe God to be highly intelligent.I also believe that Earth is Millions if not Billions years old.I think The Bible has been twisted by Men to fit their own conclusions.I believe the stories in The Bible are factual but the time frames are not.Nothing ever handed down by man ever resembles what actually happened by the time it passes through two generations.Look how the lefties are trying to twist the History of The US.Kids now a days have no clue on what happened in the 2nd World War to the Jews.History is always being revised for the benefit of those who seek power.That has been that way from the beginning and will never change.Huntz

history without exception is always penned by the scribes who work for the victors.

history, like the constitution gets amended from time to time for better or worse.

the truth is a moving target, we can shoot as close to the center as possible.

and of course as "power" shifts, so does the history of the world itself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT

Of course it is time. Anything, a thought, an action, an event that has a beginning a middle and an end has duration. ...

The Lord himself said that he created over a number of days, resting on the seventh.
The creator describes his own actions in a 3D time & space realm.

btw; No response received from christians regarding what dimensional form Jesus takes in heaven.

If a physical presence, then it makes heaven seem like a rather ordinary place, if ethereal ,
then someone needs to explain where the physical organic body of Jesus ended up.

maybe its been put into a cryo state waiting to be kick started for JCs return.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
... read the forward to almost any new Bible. ..
The forward will tell you they are using the oldest available manuscripts in the original languages...

Oldest available does not mean first draft. Additionally, ...
What some believe to be the oldest "manuscript" of the Old Testament is piece of parchment the size of a post card.
They didn't drive an entire bible of that,....

Hollywood will say 'based on a true story'. which could often mean very little truth [ what one can fit on a postcard]
with all remaining script blanks filled in with folks taking the liberty to invoke vivid imagination of varying degree.

its not like the ancients didn't already have creative writing skills, that they previously applied to pagan mythologies.
in fact Bible has terms derived from Greek mythology.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by DBT

Of course it is time. Anything, a thought, an action, an event that has a beginning a middle and an end has duration. ...

The Lord himself said that he created over a number of days, resting on the seventh.
The creator describes his own actions in a 3D time & space realm.

btw; No response received from christians regarding what dimensional form Jesus takes in heaven.

If a physical presence, then it makes heaven seem like a rather ordinary place, if ethereal ,
then someone needs to explain where the physical organic body of Jesus ended up.

maybe its been put into a cryo state waiting to be kick started for JCs return.

some folks have dared to suggest that jesus when he ascended turned into pure light - love?

the story about his ascending in bodily form was yet another roman effort to make sense, or deny the real event.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scripture indicates Jesus was resurrected in regular tangible human form ,
Jesus even assures them that he is flesh and blood.

Luke 24:39
"Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have."

So at what point in time did Jesus allegedly become pure ethereal light?

He was taken up in a cloud, so his flesh body went into the first known form of cloud storage?

Of course some christians claim resurrected Jesus on earth shifted back-forth from spirit to flesh form as the need arose.
Im sure the Vatican or some Protestant Evangelists have a spin on it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
https://mynorthwest.com/1510612/study-finds-the-universe-might-be-2-billion-years-younger/?

Evidently the materialists are having a hard time keeping their fairy tales straight!

That is less than a 10% error in a brand new field trying to determine events which obviously happened thousands of millions of years before our sun even began to condense from a cloud of gas.

Have you ever mounted a brand new scope on a brand new rifle and hit a ten inch bull at 1000 yds with the first pull of the trigger?

You are accepting what "they" say because you don't want to accept what God's Word says. You start with the idea the Bible is not correct exactly like the Creation scientists with Ph.D.s now start with the idea "they" are not correct. Some grew up as Creationists and some became Creationists after they earned their doctorates and started working in the lab or fields.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Starman
[quote=DBT]

then someone needs to explain where the physical organic body of Jesus ended up..

In all those crackers, or at least that's the answer if you are Catholic.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

You are accepting what "they" say because you don't want to accept what God's Word says. You start with the idea the Bible is not correct exactly like the Creation scientists with Ph.D.s now start with the idea "they" are not correct. Some grew up as Creationists and some became Creationists after they earned their doctorates and started working in the lab or fields.

Wanting to believe has nothing to do with it.
Either the Bible can withstand scrutiny, or it can't.
Spoiler alert........It's can't.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

644 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 82 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,478
Posts18,471,669
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.