Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Hopefully someone here will know. I have grass that need to DIE. I believe it's crab grass and it has continued to thrive despite my spraying it with Roundup and with stuff I bought at Lowe's that will supposedly kill crab grass and another product that is supposedly brush killer. It has been sprayed several times and looks as good now as on day one. I'm ready for the nuclear option. Any recommendations?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You looking for a selective or non selective? Is it in your lawn?

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Seed in the ground will sprout and produce more grass.. It is not a one time thing.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Here is the home-brew (and cheap stuff) that I use for weeds:

1 gallon of the cheapest vinegar you can find (I get for about $3.00 a gallon);
2 containers of non-iodized table salt; and
6 or 7 good squeezes of blue Dawn dish detergent.

I have a Scott pump sprayer. I put all the above ingredients in the sprayer, shake the hell out of it to dissolve the salt, and spray away. Works like magic. May take a day or two to see the results and sometimes a second application is required. Cheaper / safer than Roundup and just as effective.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
diesel

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That’s what I use and have very good results. Salt and vinegar is deadly and the Dawn changes the cellular uptake. Kills things dead...like Roy Clark!!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As well it might not been crabgrass that why your applications haven't worked if it was a selective herbicide.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
This time of year you need to at least double the strength of the herbicide...at least.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Do you have a picture of the grass? As many folks refer to Bermuda grass as crab brass, I suspect you are dealing with Bermuda grass. The root rhizomes found in Bernuda grass allow it to come back. Round up is your friend. Follow instructions in attached link and use a surfactant with the round up.

https://www.lawn-care-academy.com/bermudagrass.html

Most forms of true crab grass readily succumb to a single application of round up. Bermuda often will take more than one application. I have yet to find a grass that glyphophosphate will not kill.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if only the crabgrass you want dead and are using Weed-B-Gon, after you spray it on the weed, it needs a hot sunny day to activate the ingredient.

The home brew stuff works, my wife uses that for weeds in the flower beds. But it'll kill grass as well.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sounds like bermuda grass

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
This time of year you need to at least double the strength of the herbicide...at least.

This statement is nonsense! Read the label and follow the product label directions precisely.

Now, to the issue. First (and foremost) you need to positively identify the "weed". If necessary, take a sample to the local Ag Extension office. You also need to provide more info. Is this weed in a lawn or other desirable area? Or is the weed in an area that any potential herbicide damage would be inconsequential? Does the weed flower or produce seed? Does it seem to spread horizontally? What is happening weatherize... dry vs. wet... hot vs. chilly. Provide more info so that solutions will be spot on.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
^^^ What RicG said.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Before herbicides they would keep it black. Till often, and deep.

I'd spray glyphosate with recommended adjuvants.

Of course the advice about university recommended advice is good.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[/quote] it has continued to thrive despite my spraying it with Roundup and with stuff I bought at Lowe's[quote]

Most of the products sold at Lowes and other Box stores has less than 20% glysophate. Go to an AG store and get the real stuff 40%+ use as directed it will kill crabgrass and [/u] and most broad leaf grasses[u].

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by arky65
it has continued to thrive despite my spraying it with Roundup and with stuff I bought at Lowe's

Most of the products sold at Lowes and other Box stores has less than 20% glysophate. Go to an AG store and get the real stuff 40%+ use as directed it will kill crabgrass and [/u] and most broad leaf grasses[u].

+1.

Get the real stuff (41%) from the feed store. Doesmt have to be roundup brand. Generic is fine. Mix 3oz per gal of water. Add surfactant or dawn. Just not too much to make it sudsy.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Eraser A/P. Takes a few days to see the results, but it works

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Thanks for the recommendations.

The grass is coming up through landscape fabric and a good layer of redwood mulch. It has had multiple applications of Roundup with no effect at all though when I've used that on other grasses it works fine. I thought it was crab grass but maybe it is Bermuda grass; it definitely has root rhizomes.

I haven't tried a surfactant with the Roundup. I'll also probably try the Dawn, salt and vinegar potion.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If it is an actual grass that you're trying to kill, a generic 41% glyphosate is your best bet. Mix it at 5-6 ounces per gallon of water. You'll also want to use a good surfactant, not dish soap, at the recommended rate and a water conditioner/ammonium sulfate additive, like AMS Advantage, at the label rate. This will take care of any plants that aren't glyphosate resistant. If you're spraying an area that you want to kill all of the vegetation in and keep it dead, you can add Arsenal/Imazapyr to your mix at a rate of 1 once per gallon. This will work as a pre-emergant/ground sterilant that will keep anything from coming back for an entire growing season.

If the plant you're trying to kill is actually some sort of broadleaf weed, you'll need to add a broadleaf herbicide to your mix.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
STRAIGHT Roundup kills everything. Something isnt correct with your mix, application or even the product you bought.

Roundup comes with its own adjuvants no need to add others.

"Maybe we're all happy."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.