Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
nope.

New Ram trucks come with it. Hell, lots of new cars and SUV's come with it. My wife's Honda Pilot has it even and there is nothing high performance about that rig.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by slumlord
No emissions compliance in Tn

Not in rural areas in rural areas, not even in Clarksville (which is bigger than Billings)

*used to be in Nashville-Metro (not sure if that is still active)

I'm not talking about old cars.

Go buy one off the lot, brand new, then run some dual exhaust from the manifold, and tell us how the car runs then... wink

Go look under your truck. I'd bet it even has 2 CAT's, then down to one tail pipe.

Camp is where you make it.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Originally Posted by KFWA
Actually I thought it was going the other way - most of the cars I notice today have dual exhaust and its molded into the lines of the rear bumper, except for the Corvette which has 4 monsters in the middle

Actually I thought it was going the other way - most of the cars I notice today have dual exhaust and its molded into the lines of the rear bumper, except for the Corvette which has 4 monsters in the middle

Correct on more now than previous.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Dual exhausts- - - -a solution to an nonexistent problem. Stupid people who want to destroy their own hearing and everyone else's for half a block around demanded loud, obnoxious exhausts and the factories complied for a time. 30-something years of doing dyno runs on NASCAR racing engines that cost more than the average blinged-out 4WD redneck chariot have proved to me that dual exhausts on a street machine of any kind are about as worthless as balls on a priest. Noise is not horsepower.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No emissions compliance in Tn

Not in rural areas in rural areas, not even in Clarksville (which is bigger than Billings)

*used to be in Nashville-Metro (not sure if that is still active)

I'm not talking about old cars.

Go buy one off the lot, brand new, then run some dual exhaust from the manifold, and tell us how the car runs then... wink

I was talking about old vehicles.
So wink wink back at ya

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'll go buy one off the lot when daddy leaves me a farm and 83 sakos

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'll go buy one off the lot when daddy leaves me a farm and 83 sockos.

Fixed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was following a new Subaru the other day and was looking at it at the stop light. As previously mentioned, the exhaust stopped at the rear "differential", if that is what you would call it on that crappy little car. Anyway, I was wondering who will be the first to croak from fumes with a set up like that...assuming lesbian cars still produce carbon monoxide.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
There's so much emissions crap on cars and trucks today that you couldn't put dual exhaust on a vehicle if you wanted to.

Not without messing up the emissions system, ECU, and half the components tied into it.

Has nothing to do with it. Air flow can be improved as easily with a single large diameter pipe as 2 smaller pipes. Single mufflers are made to flow much more than mufflers of the 70's.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by CashisKing
My Cummins run single exhaust still... 4"

Something about πr2 makes me think I'm OK with just one tube.

It was found along time ago in the fire service that a 4" water line flowed more water with less friction loss than 2, 2-1/2" lines. The same principle applies to air. Mandrel bent tubes reduce air drag too. Many cars now days produce higher horsepower with less emissions and better fuel economy than just 20 years ago.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
With over 4000 flying hours in a C-130 and nine years on the flight line quiet is preferred.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

My 2919 Silverado is dual exhaust and my 2016 is as you described.

NRA Patron
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
I ordered my 2019 Tundra with the TRD dual exhaust system. It is true duals, two mufflers, etc. It sounds like a 60s V8 with glass packs! After I drove one with duals, I had to have it on mine. It will make you grin from ear to ear to listen to it especially from 4,000 RPM up. I don't know if it helps mileage or power and don't care.

Agreed. Got the same setup on my TRD PRO. First time my 81 YO FIL heard it he grinned from ear to ear. “Purrs real nice, doesn’t it,” he said.

Wife’s got one of those funny little BMW commuter cars (what I call them.” When she first got it I thought it was funny, little 4 cylinder with dual exhaust. Finally one morning I noticed the exhaust only comes out one pipe. Light bulb went on over my head, “I’ll bet that other pipe is intake.”

Mathew 22: 37-39

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My bud owns a parts house and one day a kid with his new truck comes in and asked if he could get him a new exhaust system.

He wanted to make it a lot louder.
Thing is he had twin turbos and that system would not do anything like the older trucks.

Even with no pipes past the cats.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I ran aftermarket exhaust systems on all trucks before my current 2012 Tundra. Wife always said she could hear me coming 3 blocks away after work. Just got to the point where I wanted quiet. Don't have to run the stereo as loud any longer. Now if they come out with a flat plane crank V8 in a 4x4 truck it for sure would have twice pipes .

Last edited by sidepass; 09/13/19.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Dual exhausts- - - -a solution to an nonexistent problem. Stupid people who want to destroy their own hearing and everyone else's for half a block around demanded loud, obnoxious exhausts and the factories complied for a time. 30-something years of doing dyno runs on NASCAR racing engines that cost more than the average blinged-out 4WD redneck chariot have proved to me that dual exhausts on a street machine of any kind are about as worthless as balls on a priest. Noise is not horsepower.
Jerry

Not when you run them off headers instead of a factory manifold.You have to retune the computer for the optimum gas to air ratio for dual exhaust.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Back in the 60’s when the factory was using cast exhaust manifolds you could add a little horsepower with headers and dual exhausts. Today it’s just for looks and making noise, you’re not going to improve the performance of a modern computer controlled fuel injected engine by having Billy Joe Jim Bob down at the muffler shop put on duals and glass packs.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Duals or no duals, what we need is more noise. Vehicles aren’t loud enough these days.

Except the little rice rockets, those little bastages oughta be choked down to tolerance levels. I hate the little cars pretending to have big motors, by rattling down the road and annoying everyone else.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Back in the 60’s when the factory was using cast exhaust manifolds you could add a little horsepower with headers and dual exhausts. Today it’s just for looks and making noise, you’re not going to improve the performance of a modern computer controlled fuel injected engine by having Billy Joe Jim Bob down at the muffler shop put on duals and glass packs.

I've read and been told that too large an exhaust system was as bad as too small an exhaust system as far as power. A proper sized exhaust for the engine needed a certain amount of exhaust velocity to properly help evacuate exhaust gases from engine for peak power and emission performance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by Crow hunter

I've read and been told that too large an exhaust system was as bad as too small an exhaust system as far as power. A proper sized exhaust for the engine needed a certain amount of exhaust velocity to properly help evacuate exhaust gases from engine for peak power and emission performance.

You need a certain amount of back pressure for best performance on the street.

Good example with my Harley on the dyno. First pull was with open headers. Made the most HP on the top end, but "suffered" on the low end. Adding the baffles lost on peak HP, but moved the torque band to the lower RPM range where the majority of your riding is.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I got to calculating the area of a circle after CashisKing's 4" Cummins comment and then Smarquez's fire hose example. A 2.5" diameter pipe has an area of 4.909 square inches or 9.818 square inches if you had two of them. One 4" diameter pipe would have an area of 12.566 square inches. I just had to go look under the Denali (yeah, she got her two tail pipes) and there is one catalytic converter, one muffler and two pipes behind the axle into secondary mufflers close to the rear bumper. Probably all those two pipes are doing is doubling the soot on the bumper out back.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 52 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,820
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.