Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
It is my understanding that background check info is supposed to see if you are eligible to buy, but your info is not to be saved. This was to stop the feds from saving your name and info so that a registry could not be created. So, when there is a shooting, the police seem to have the ability to find out if the shooter had passed a background check to buy their firearm .

So, they must save your info after all!? When did that happen?

Bill

There are many copies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 100_dollar_Bill
It is my understanding that background check info is supposed to see if you are eligible to buy, but your info is not to be saved. This was to stop the feds from saving your name and info so that a registry could not be created. So, when there is a shooting, the police seem to have the ability to find out if the shooter had passed a background check to buy their firearm .

Bill
lol You believed them? Even the Feds would be incredulous you did. Like Johnny Ringo said, "I was just funnin',".

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
When a FFL seller does the background check and we buy a firearm from them the govt. has the serial number and knows who bought it. The dems know if we do a private sale the govt. doesn't know where it is.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So, we have a federal gun registry. Bummer! frown

Last edited by 100_dollar_Bill; 09/13/19.

There are many copies.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Bill

It's not that simple. Here's how it really works. Man shoots another man with a Glock. ATF contacts Glock and asks which distributor it was sold to. ATF contacts distributor and asks which dealer it was sold to. ATF contacts dealer and asks for a copy of the 4473 to be faxed or emailed to them. After that, the trail normally goes cold unless the customer sold it back to a dealer or the state has a registration scheme of their own. The only identifying characteristics of the firearm that is used on the background check is whether it is a "long gun", "handgun" or "other". That is so they know whether the person has to be 18 or 21 and a resident of the state of the dealer.

Last edited by UPhiker; 09/13/19.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Bill

It's not that simple. Here's how it really works. Man shoots another man with a Glock. ATF contacts Glock and asks which distributor it was sold to. ATF contacts distributor and asks which dealer it was sold to. ATF contacts dealer and asks for a copy of the 4473 to be faxed or emailed to them. After that, the trail normally goes cold unless the customer sold it back to a dealer or the state has a registration scheme of their own. The only identifying characteristics of the firearm that is used on the background check is whether it is a "long gun", "handgun" or "other". That is so they know whether the person has to be 18 or 21 and a resident of the state of the dealer.

Sounds a little better. Thanks.

Bill

Last edited by 100_dollar_Bill; 09/13/19.

There are many copies.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No. There is no registration at least in states with legal undocumented private sales. Most states have no state law preventing such sales and so that negates the initial registration even if you have the gun. If the Feds come around after a ban, who is to say you still have it and since there is no requirement for you to have kept a record of the possible sale/trade/gifting of the weapon, how can they say you still have the gun if you keep your mouth shut?

An anti-gun attorney here on the fire pooh-pooh's this even though its been known for years and is the ONLY thing keeping us from having a gun registry as it is. That is a fact though as long as our legal system keeps working the way it was intended. With the rise of obviously unconstitutional Red Flag Laws (with our President saying, "I'm a fan of taking the guns early. Take the guns first, then...Due Process), who knows? Due Process doesn't work that way although it has already been infringed/set aside in many ways, just like the 2nd Amendment.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
No. There is no registration at least in states with legal undocumented private sales. Most states have no state law preventing such sales and so that negates the initial registration even if you have the gun. If the Feds come around after a ban, who is to say you still have it and since there is no requirement for you to have kept a record of the possible sale/trade/gifting of the weapon, how can they say you still have the gun if you keep your mouth shut?

An anti-gun attorney here on the fire pooh-pooh's this even though its been known for years and is the ONLY thing keeping us from having a gun registry as it is. That is a fact though as long as our legal system keeps working the way it was intended. With the rise of obviously unconstitutional Red Flag Laws (with our President saying, "I'm a fan of taking the guns early. Take the guns first, then...Due Process), who knows? Due Process doesn't work that way although it has already been infringed/set aside in many ways, just like the 2nd Amendment.

A semi-retarded old man here on the fire rants about tyrannical government yet believes that jack booted agents of said tyrannical government will simply go “Oh, okay” when he tells them that he no longer has the gun or doesn’t know what happened to it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 09/13/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Consider this also, my friend...I am old enough to remember my Dad being incredulous that you had to do all this paperwork (Form 4473) just to buy a gun, when he bought me my first. I remember him asking if there was a way not to do it. The Greatest Generation was asleep at the wheel when the government and the NRA brought us the GCA of 1968. The government promised it was to only be used for crime control-never registration. People actually believed and trusted the government back then. Richard Nixon was elected the first time in 1968. With guys like that in orifice, you had to trust the government...right?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob

A semi-retarded old man here on the fire rants about tyrannical government yet believes that jack booted agents of said tyrannical government will simply go “Oh, okay” when he tells them that he no longer has the gun or doesn’t know what happened to it.
If I am semi-retarded, then that makes you a full-blown retard. At least you had enough failing IQ points in your own dotage, to recognize yourself as the "anti-gun attorney". lolol

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

If I am semi-retarded, then that makes you a full-blown retard. At least you had enough failing IQ points in your own dotage, to recognize yourself as the "anti-gun attorney". lolol

Of course, I recognize your recent insanity. I think you have a tumor or something. Go get an MRI.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I've managed to runofft most of the semi-retarded old men on here.

It's still a work in progress.

Stay tuned

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Anyone who believes the gov does not have a real good idea of everything that you own is delusional.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Bill

This, I have bought several lowers and handguns w/o a NICS check. I use my CCW for all purchases which bypasses it. Nebraska kept primacy on handgun sales from the NICS system back in 91.

Swifty
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cuznguido
Anyone who believes the gov does not have a real good idea of everything that you own is delusional.

The gov can tell from internet purchases, bank records, etc, to a pretty close degree who owns what. They won’t have to seize anything. After not being able to get credit cards, ride an airplane, get a mortgage or send your kid to college, people will line up to turn in their guns, and that’s before the “Rat out your neighbor for extra food rations” program kicks off.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know personally that Obama's air force flew over Texas and planted
"chips" in all guns in the State.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Everyone should remind their FFL that it's legal to dispose of their 4473's after 20 years......

Licensees shall retain each ATF Form 4473 for a period of not less than 20 years after the date of sale or disposition. Where a licensee has initiated a National Instant Background Check System (NICS) check for a proposed firearms transaction, but the sale, delivery, or transfer of the firearm is not made, the licensee shall record any transaction number on the Form 4473, and retain the Form 4473 for a period of not less than 5 years after the date of the NICS inquiry.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Borchardt
Originally Posted by cuznguido

The gov can tell from internet purchases, bank records, etc, to a pretty close degree who owns what. They won’t have to seize anything. After not being able to get credit cards, ride an airplane, get a mortgage or send your kid to college, people will line up to turn in their guns, and that’s before the “Rat out your neighbor for extra food rations” program kicks off.

This. The scariest development in the last decade is basically how the commie globalists have farmed out the police state to private corporations. Once they are back in control of the government, there will not be much to stop them and the private corporations will willingly cooperate if not take the lead in everything.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
When a FFL seller does the background check and we buy a firearm from them the govt. has the serial number and knows who bought it. The dems know if we do a private sale the govt. doesn't know where it is.
Not here... The 4473 has the S/N, but the NICS check does not ask for it... Only the FFL holder has those forms stored in-house and NOT at the gov't; until and unless he/she retires/quits the business - then they're sent in..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by aalf

Everyone should remind their FFL that it's legal to dispose of their 4473's after 20 years......

ALicensees shall retain each ATF Form 4473 for a period of not less than 20 years after the date of sale or disposition. Where a licensee has initiated a National Instant Background Check System (NICS) check for a proposed firearms transaction, but the sale, delivery, or transfer of the firearm is not made, the licensee shall record any transaction number on the Form 4473, and retain the Form 4473 for a period of not less than 5 years after the date of the NICS inquiry.

Then there is the bound book. When a dealer goes out of business, it is to be turned over to ATF. I see Redneck beat me to it

Again, it doesn't mean the individuals and firearms listed therein are still joined at the hip. But it is one more record - and anyone who thinks it isn't computerized when turned in is in la-la land.

Last edited by las; 09/13/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 1234, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,966
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.