Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Looks can be deceiving. What does a guy look like who thinks that taking items ostensibly left behind by the last guest in, say, a motel room, are up for grabs? Is he maybe a black crackhead? A Latino gangster? Not always...

TomK: The widely accepted last true member of the 'samurai' class died in the1870s. So, while perhaps seen as 'samurai' in spirit, your buddy's dad was no samurai. Also, there is no 'belt' system/ranking associated with the art/sport of contemporary 'sword fighting'. There are achievement levels that are denoted in terms of 'dan', however. My wife's cousin, a female and long time member of Japan's defense force, is nationally ranked and holds the highest rank (8th dan) possible, which is very rare in general and much moreso for a female. Carry on.

Always grateful for truth to be interjected to dispel mythology. That is interesting. To be honest for some reason awhile back I was wondering what the difference was twixt a "dan" and a belt. But forgot to google it when I'd time in front of a computer.

MAGA

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
BGG: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendo

IB: I am not a moth--or related to Mothra for that matter wink --, but admit to be sometimes being inexplicably compelled to respond to certain displays of abject stupidity and ignorance. The satisfaction is fleeting and cheap, but sometimes temptation is too great to fight the urge. Pardon me while I flutter back into the night...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool. So dan only refers to kendo, whereas other disciplines use the belts?

I notice you did not distance yourself from mothman. Do moths flutter or flit?

MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No comment on the Noble Prize? grin

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
....at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941?

[Linked Image]

This guy looks like a Jap.

That is but one of two twin turds that fell from the flea infested ass of a commie la raza bitch named rosie, gotdamn guys, know thine, know thine!

Trump Won!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gunner500

[Linked Image]

That is but one of two twin turds that fell from the flea infested ass of a commie la raza bitch named rosie, gotdamn guys, know thine, know thine!

PREZACTLY!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
BGG: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_(rank)

In real life, things are not so cut and dried, as you surely understand. While competing in a US Embassy/Yakota Army School/American Club/local Tokyo private school open class Judo competition many years ago, my brother and I, who were lowly yellow belts at the time and maybe 11 and 13 at the time, participated. Tournaments were staged within belt classes first then age groups. We were in the 11 to 16 age group. Long story short, after one and one, head to head competitions that lasted all day, the final match ended up being between two new competitors, ones with the rookie/know-nothing and never competed before rank. With that I mean to say the final match was between me and my crazy brother. He won and has a fancy plaque to prove it. Lots of misty eyes in the gaggle of 'black belt' losers that day, most of whom were 15 or 16 and had been involved and trained and competed in the sport formally for many years. Advantage Boston kids who grew up learning how to squabble a bit and whatnot. And not for nothing, but our almost elderly--and totally badassed-- sensei was a 8th dan. His belt was paneled red and white. I wish I stuck with it in the couple years more we were there.

P.S. My tribe and I abhor things like classes and generalities. Sometimes we flit, sometimes we flutter and sometimes we just fly the fugue off into the sky all quick like. Depends on the situation. And how overweight the moth-cop chasing us is. Getting a bit thin in the wing in older years, these days seeing portly would-be moth harassers/apprehenders is much preferred to the young, in-shape and full of moth pee and vinegar types. Those bastards can wear a moth out sometimes...

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Same-same. Dan simply means grade or rank, I believe only among black belts. Dan is used in all or most Japanese martial arts.

The lower ranked colored belts are referred to as kyu, also numbered 3-kyu, 2-kyu, 1- kyu, then the dans or black belts go up from 1-kyu.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
....at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941

IIRC his grandfather on his mother’s side was an 18yo youth in Mexico who refused to acknowledge paternity of the infant Rosie Castro, Rosie herself so far as I know growing up without a father.

This lack of a father figure may well explain how Rosie as a young woman became involved with a retired teacher andfellow Atzlan proponent, a married father of five children in his fifties at the time.

So far as I know the Castro twins likewise grew up without a father figure, tho those who knew their mom say she was notorious for her many lovers. Instead the twins were shaped and molded into political entities by their mom who, strangely enough for a racial separatist, failed to teach them Spanish.

The twin’s future was sealed when they were both admitted on an Affirmative Action basis to that incubator of the DNC; Harvard Law School where, unlike Obama, they did, at least, attend classes.

Neither twin has ventured politically outside of San Antonio before this, neither has ever had to face a tough election.

Rosie must be p$ssed, on the national stage her son’s shortcomings are becoming painfully apparent. They are a pair of mama’s boys and lusterless parrots of the DNC party line, not an original thought in their heads.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
....at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941

IIRC his grandfather on his mother’s side was an 18yo youth in Mexico who refused to acknowledge paternity of the infant Rosie Castro, Rosie herself so far as I know growing up without a father.

This lack of a father figure may well explain how Rosie as a young woman became involved with a retired teacher andfellow Atzlan proponent, a married father of five children in his fifties at the time.

So far as I know the Castro twins likewise grew up without a father figure, tho those who knew their mom say she was notorious for her many lovers. Instead the twins were shaped and molded into political entities by their mom who, strangely enough for a racial separatist, failed to teach them Spanish.

The twin’s future was sealed when they were both admitted on an Affirmative Action basis to that incubator of the DNC; Harvard Law School where, unlike Obama, they did, at least, attend classes.

Neither twin has ventured politically outside of San Antonio before this, neither has ever had to face a tough election.

Rosie must be p$ssed, on the national stage her son’s shortcomings are becoming painfully apparent. They are a pair of mama’s boys and lusterless parrots of the DNC party line, not an original thought in their heads.

So I was right. His GrandDad was a wetback. 😜

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by sawbuck
No comment on the Noble Prize? grin

Depending on how citizenship is viewed at the time of the award--as opposed to being awarded prior to becoming a citizen of a nation other than Japan--it looks like there are about a dozen possibilities, though based on what we've been told as far as time frame (post WW2) and that the fella he referred to did in fact become a US citizen, it looks like the guy TomK is talking about is Yoichiro Nambu, no?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Japanese_Nobel_laureates

Edit: Never mind. It seems he was referring to the 'Noble' prize, easily corn-fused with the Nobel. Sousand pa-dons prease.

wink

Last edited by kamo_gari; 09/13/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope, but he did have an Ercoup.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
My grandfather was shooting down zeros. Was also a Flying Tiger teaching chinks to shoot Japs.

How did they know which was which? Those buck-toothed gummers all look the same!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]

I can’t imagine a president of the USA named Castro!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

P.S. My tribe and I abhor things like classes and generalities. Sometimes we flit, sometimes we flutter and sometimes we just fly the fugue off into the sky all quick like. Depends on the situation. And how overweight the moth-cop chasing us is. Getting a bit thin in the wing in older years, these days seeing portly would-be moth harassers/apprehenders is much preferred to the young, in-shape and full of moth pee and vinegar types. Those bastards can wear a moth out sometimes...

Ah, but those young moth catchers are after all kinds of critters, bats, moths, skeeters, many things can be caught or whacked by a tennis racket. If a catcher is only after moths, all he needs to do is wait by the light, and what with moths being moths they cannot resist. Depends then on how keen the moth flits, flutters, or otherwise moves.

Dusty damn things anyways. Them luna moths though, they are cool.

Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Same-same. Dan simply means grade or rank, I believe only among black belts. Dan is used in all or most Japanese martial arts.

The lower ranked colored belts are referred to as kyu, also numbered 3-kyu, 2-kyu, 1- kyu, then the dans or black belts go up from 1-kyu.

Paul

I'll just be content to be confused. smile

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
.........at Pearl Habor on Dec. 7th, 1941

According to Saburo Sakai as filtered by Martin Cardin, Japanese fighter pilot training before the was was exceedingly tough physically and mentally such that very few could pass.

So if Julian Castro’s grandfather really did fly a Zero in ‘41 that was really something. Of course combat was random enough that even the best pilots eventually succumbed, especially in the face of the growing might, expertise and improving airplanes of the US.

Our first exchange student in our house was Japanese. We got along very well, during the year he was with us he had an assignment in his high school history class to find out what their family did in WWII. Susumu had no idea, his parents had never talked about it. So he called them, his parents took the assignment very seriously.

Susumu learned his grandfather on his father’s side had been a Japanese government official in the Chinese puppet state of Manchuko, and that his father’s whole family had narrowly escaped death at the hands of vengeful Chinese when fleeing back to Japan at the end of the war.

On his mother’s side his grandfather had been a Japanese General in New Guinean who had been held for a while at the end of the war for possible war crimes but was later released.

Worth noting that my own father went on to Okinawa a Private in the 6th Marines and was the youngest Staff Sergeant in the Marines when he came off, battlefield promotions.

When Susumu returned home his father sent us a very gracious letter, he said that he had sent us a boy and we had sent him back a man.

Probably Susumu just getting away from his sheltered upbringing did that, but OTOH he did get to shoot a wide variety of firearms, a lot, during his time with us 🙂

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
BGG: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kendo

IB: I am not a moth--or related to Mothra for that matter wink --, but admit to be sometimes being inexplicably compelled to respond to certain displays of abject stupidity and ignorance. The satisfaction is fleeting and cheap, but sometimes temptation is too great to fight the urge. Pardon me while I flutter back into the night...

LOL.
Be careful around bright lights.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
[So I was right. His GrandDad was a wetback. 😜

Rosie’s mom was in her late 20’s when impregnated by that 18 yo youth, and IIRC was pregnant when she came to the US. I dunno her immigration status. It is said the youth in question subsequently joined the Mexican Army, not sure anyone knows what became of him.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
[So I was right. His GrandDad was a wetback. 😜

Rosie’s mom was in her late 20’s when impregnated by that 18 yo youth, and IIRC was pregnant when she came to the US. I dunno her immigration status. It is said the youth in question subsequently joined the Mexican Army, not sure anyone knows what became of him.

He must’ve not been a good swimmer 😜

I always figured ole Rosie’s Mom for a wetback too.
Guess Rosie is an anchor baby.
TX would be much better off if her mother had not made the swim.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As you prob’ly know, Japanese cinematographers shot some outstanding aerial footage for its day propaganda movies for the home audience, in this case using a captured Brewster Buffalo and Curtiss P-40.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 160user, 270cowboy, 257 mag, 1OntarioJim, 27 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,379
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.