Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well, we've found out who loves to (dry) rub their meat. grin

I'm a liquid briner. A soak in Yoshidas is never a bag thing.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
I have no idea what any other commercial operation uses for their fish. But for the simple fact that a wet brine uses so much less salt and sugar making it more economical, I'd have to say that they're using wet brines.

I always cut my salmon into snickers bar sized pieces. maybe that's why I've had such good luck with the dry brine.

Actually, dry brining is more economical. It is just too hard to maintain consistency in commercial operations.

I love auto-correct! I tried to say we hang with gormands and it was corrected to commands!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Unless you have tasted scads of bad teriyaki salmon!
😉

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Just straight yoshidas? Over night?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by JimInAK

I'm with the less is more crowd. Salt and sugar only with low heat and short smoke duration.

I've generally had better success with dry brine. 1 part kosher salt to 4 parts light brown sugar. 4 hours only in brine, rinse, pat dry and put on racks in refrigerator overnight to form pellicle and allow salinity to equalize a bit. In a pinch a couple hours in front of a fan rather than overnight in the refrigerator will work. The dry brine pulls out some of the moisture from the fish, and reduces required smoking time. Also texture is a little firmer (more of a cure, than brine).

For wet brine I've used 1 cup kosher salt, 2 cups light brown sugar, and 1 gallon of water for 90 minutes. I do need to experiment a bit more with extending smoking times to perfect this method.

I know the question was about brine, but one point I didn't see mentioned was air flow. I've had white "boogers" on fish that never saw more than 140 degrees. In attempt to maintain temperature I closed the vents off too much and ended up with a bit too much humidity and protein deposits on the surface. Opening the vents up and letting the smoker do it's thing has yielded better results.

Those boogers do not form until 145F and are really easy to recreate at those temps... maybe a thermometer reading too close to an edge, a hotspot in the smoker, or ???

It was a short lived problem that went away with increased ventilation. I attributed it to a excessive moisture issue. It was a while ago so hard to tell what else might have been going on.

I use an older Bradley analog smoker with an Auber Instruments PI&D controller. Temp probe dropped in from the top, no contact with fish or racks. I've been generally very satisfied with the setup for salmon. It is however a bit under powered for 25# batches of moose summer sausage and snack sticks.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Uncas
Dry method has always been great for us. Try some halibut some time...use apple wood, alder is too sharp for mild white fish.

I've had smoked halibut from a local sausage and seafood purveyor. It was OK, but wasn't overly impressed. I generally prefer oilier fish when smoked.

Jumping off topic a bit from the original posters question. If you don't mind sharing, what is your recommendation for brine and smoking temps/duration with halibut?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dry method has always been great for us. Try some halibut some time...use apple wood, alder is too sharp for mild white fish.

I've had smoked halibut from a local sausage and seafood purveyor. It was OK, but wasn't overly impressed. I generally prefer oilier fish when smoked.

Jumping off topic a bit from the original posters question. If you don't mind sharing, what is your recommendation for brine and smoking temps/duration with halibut?

Smoked halibut doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me. Halibut should be dunked in beer batter and go for a swim in oil at 350 F until golden brown.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by stevelyn

Smoked halibut doesn't sound the least bit appealing to me. Halibut should be dunked in beer batter and go for a swim in oil at 350 F until golden brown.

This^^^^

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The very best is the simplest...
Per gallon of brine:
2 cups unionized salt
3 cups brown sugar

Dissolve salt and sugar in about half of the water by boiling. Then add ice and get the brine very cold.

Soak in brine for 90 minutes. Longer and texture is compromised.

The most critical step is forming a pellicle by drying on the racks before smoking. It is critical.

Smoke at less than 145F. If white denatured proteins ooze out it is overdone. Every bit of the ooze steals moisture from the flesh itself and compromises texture. Cooking too hot will cause the problem and poorly handled fish will have cracks in the flesh where the problem will show itself.

Tried that one today with a small batch. Super easy and got two thumbs up from the home crowd. I did put a little glaze on half using brown sugar, maple syrup, and garlic powder. Smoked low for about 6 hours (though my smoker did spike once) and it stayed real moist. Thanks for the recipe.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
SO... going to gut a fridge... I'm thinking if I had a stove, like one of my backpack stoves, set up outside and pipe the smoke in down low, thats COLD smoking? Am I right?

Cold smoking is the goal?

All I've ever done is smoke deer sausage and thats a pan of coals covered by a bunch of green pecan or such and put in a sealed smokehouse and overnight it gets all the smoke it ever needs then turn on the AC and dehumidifier to get to dry sausgage what we don't pull as fresh smoked.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I smoked this at 125°-130° for about 4 hours, then stepped it up to 135° to just about 140° for the last hour or so. Damn electric smokers can be finicky and it’s easy to get a spike in temps where it will jump up way to high. This stuff turned out real moist but a nice firm skin on it. My boys have already hammered a pile of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
The very best is the simplest...
Per gallon of brine:
2 cups unionized salt
3 cups brown sugar

Dissolve salt and sugar in about half of the water by boiling. Then add ice and get the brine very cold.

Soak in brine for 90 minutes. Longer and texture is compromised.

The most critical step is forming a pellicle by drying on the racks before smoking. It is critical.

Smoke at less than 145F. If white denatured proteins ooze out it is overdone. Every bit of the ooze steals moisture from the flesh itself and compromises texture. Cooking too hot will cause the problem and poorly handled fish will have cracks in the flesh where the problem will show itself.

Tried that one today with a small batch. Super easy and got two thumbs up from the home crowd. I did put a little glaze on half using brown sugar, maple syrup, and garlic powder. Smoked low for about 6 hours (though my smoker did spike once) and it stayed real moist. Thanks for the recipe.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Looks very good! Getting consistent control will allow you to get the texture right and that is key to having really good smoked fish.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rost495
SO... going to gut a fridge... I'm thinking if I had a stove, like one of my backpack stoves, set up outside and pipe the smoke in down low, thats COLD smoking? Am I right?

Cold smoking is the goal?

All I've ever done is smoke deer sausage and thats a pan of coals covered by a bunch of green pecan or such and put in a sealed smokehouse and overnight it gets all the smoke it ever needs then turn on the AC and dehumidifier to get to dry sausgage what we don't pull as fresh smoked.

Salmon is actually hot smoked/kippered to produce typical "smoked salmon" and cold smoked for the various styles of dried and smoked salmon. The cut-off is about 140F. Which puts salmon right on the edge. Jerky is essentially cold-smoked strips.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've smoked halibut and also bought it from AkS&S and it's not even close to good smoked salmon. Stevelyn has it right, that's the best way to do halibut though halibut weaver is also very good when done correctly.

As for smoked salmon, I use brown sugar, non-iodized salt, and water, like Art said, simple is always best with smoked salmon.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
looks like I'll need some type of thermometer then. Never used em when working sausage. Its an art I suspect, and I'm still on the crayons and big chief tablet.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
looks like I'll need some type of thermometer then. Never used em when working sausage. Its an art I suspect, and I'm still on the crayons and big chief tablet.

Then use the big chief smoker. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I've smoked halibut and also bought it from AkS&S and it's not even close to good smoked salmon. Stevelyn has it right, that's the best way to do halibut though halibut weaver is also very good when done correctly.

As for smoked salmon, I use brown sugar, non-iodized salt, and water, like Art said, simple is always best with smoked salmon.

IMO the best halibut is the biggest one, smoked.

As a deep-frying fish any of many, many white meated species works great. Halibut is not close to the best in that regard. I will take ordinary cod over halibut.

But if you take a great big chunk of halibut and brine it a little longer (3 hours) and let it sit in the frig for a day or two before creating the pellicle and smoking it is fantastic. The texture is almost ham-like, very firm and coarse-grained. sliced thin it is extremely good. I have tried the same thing with other fish and never liked it as well as halibut. You also have to work to get the internal temp up to 140F because it is so thick. I think I would do the sous vide thing to it these days.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

IMO the best halibut is the biggest one, smoked.

As a deep-frying fish any of many, many white meated species works great. Halibut is not close to the best in that regard. I will take ordinary cod over halibut.

But if you take a great big chunk of halibut and brine it a little longer (3 hours) and let it sit in the frig for a day or two before creating the pellicle and smoking it is fantastic. The texture is almost ham-like, very firm and coarse-grained. sliced thin it is extremely good. I have tried the same thing with other fish and never liked it as well as halibut. You also have to work to get the internal temp up to 140F because it is so thick. I think I would do the sous vide thing to it these days.
I didn't say that hailbut was the best fish for frying, I said it was best served that way. I don't like smoked halibut, doesn't matter how many times i try it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ironbender

LMAO. I should head your way before I head to Delta and bring some beer. But I have appointments.
I suppose since I was laying on the runway at Farewell waiting on a new plane drinking bud straight, I could manage to drink a few with you some day!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

LMAO. I should head your way before I head to Delta and bring some beer. But I have appointments.
I suppose since I was laying on the runway at Farewell waiting on a new plane drinking bud straight, I could manage to drink a few with you some day!

Not near enough practice for bending elbows with 'bender!

Just make sure you spill lots of beer on his boot tops!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

694 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 77 invisible), 3,069 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,106
Posts18,483,278
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.