-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Word I am getting from Montana is that the roads are gumbo mud and the basement is flooded.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
Boys, been on the road all day and yesterday, getting from MO to central Montana. The fun began at Cheyenne, After running the Nebraska road agent gauntlet, literally from one border to the other, Wyoming was a breath of fresh air, nothing but lightly traveled road with an 80 mph limit, and watching the speed goats and mule deer along the way. Lunch at Parkland, WY with a friend or two, and on to Montana. Visiting a friend here near Ryegate, and happy as a pig in slop! This country is teeming with game, the weather is perfect, and the surroundings are spectacular. Lots of folks love the west side, and it is beautiful, but anyone neglecting the east side is shorting themselves- bigly. (For all you city folks and liberals, pay no mind, it’s really just a run down remote place full of ignorant and deplorable throwbacks, and the ugly is everywhere.... whistle) Been grinning since I got north of Cheyenne. Probably won’t quit until I hit Denver on the way home.

Faster without Nebraska IME (from I70 at least}.
MO, IA, SD, via I29, I90, to SD 31, and SD, WY and MT/US 212 to I90, MT 3 to US12 to Harlowtown.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
I left Va this morning headed for Montana. Made it nearly to Iowa. On the road again tomorrow for an antelope hunt near Billings next week. It'll be my first antelope hunt and my first hunt in Montana. I can't wait!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Denver will do that to you. Go around!

Take 80 east out of Cheyenne!

Country roads are good too...

Last edited by las; 09/14/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Word I am getting from Montana is that the roads are gumbo mud and the basement is flooded.

Anywhere from 4-6" of rain in the last week.

I haven't been on a gravel road much less off trail since last Monday(?). Too muddy to even get to my favorite grouse hunting spots. A guy hates to rut the roads up if you don't have to.

But I'm sure the weekend warriors(aka archery hunters) have made a royal mess of things......

Wife and I drove up to Scobey yesterday to see how much wheat is left to cut. It's a mess.....

On the bright side we met maybe a dozen cars in about 100 miles.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I left Va this morning headed for Montana. Made it nearly to Iowa. On the road again tomorrow for an antelope hunt near Billings next week. It'll be my first antelope hunt and my first hunt in Montana. I can't wait!

Good luck on the hunt and post some pics!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

Good luck!

Treat that antelope right and you will not believe how good they eat.

I am MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Good luck!

Treat that antelope right and you will not believe how good they eat.

2 things:

1. In MT, assuming you're quartering the critter to get it home, you HAVE TO LEAVE proof of sex NATURALLY ATTACHED to the rear quarters. If you don't do this and G&F checks you, you WILL BE FINED!!

2. Have a 48qt cooler w/some ice in it and quarter the critter no later than upon return to the vehicle and get it on ice.

Subsection for #2.

A. Don't gut your Antelope, prop the chest open then haul it around whole with the hide on in the back of a pickup or worse on one of those receiver hitch racks (yuppie racks). Exception would be if you've got a skinning/hanging/processing facility with running water to wash things down thoroughly relatively close.
B. Don't think that wrapping your antelope up in a blue tarp and hauling it in the above manner is going to keep the dust, exhaust fumes or anything else "out" of your critter. That blue tarp is going to allow in just as much dust as well as sealing in lots of meat-tainting heat, blood, and moisture. Bad, bad, BAD!!!!
C. Antelope hair sheds VERY easily. It's oily and even a few strands can put a foul tasted upon the meat. GET THE HAIR OFF of every scrap of meat.

If you get your antelope meat CLEAN and cooled quickly, it will be fantastic. Hanging a CLEAN hairless carcass or quarters is fine. If you decide to leave the hide on and let it "age", you might as well grind the hair into it because you've ruined it.

Last edited by horse1; 09/15/19.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Simpler yet is to build a fire and consume the antelope on the spot.

You must always carry salt and pepper in your pack. Maybe a little garlic.....if you are fancy.

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Clarkm

Around Billings we had one day of rain where we got over an inch IIRC. This was last week. It's been warm and sunny since. Temps in the 90's today, but back down to the 70's next week.

I might be nuts, but I prefer Montana east of a north south line through Big Timber. Many of the areas in the mountains are very nice areas but they are infested with weirdos, liberals, and or California/ Western Oregon types. THE area around Dillon is about the only area I would live in on the west side of the state from what I have seen.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Laffin!

It's PARKMAN, Wyoming. But yeah, pretty cool spot. Taking the frontage road there is one of my favorite little diversions when I'm on 25.

rip.

Oh, OK, PARKMAN. Have lived in Wyoming since 1940 and never heard of Parkland, nor could it be found by Mr. Google.
Had me worried for a minute there. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by horse1
1. In MT, assuming you're quartering the critter to get it home, you HAVE TO LEAVE proof of sex NATURALLY ATTACHED to the rear quarters. If you don't do this and G&F checks you, you WILL BE FINED!!

Old regulation. Different this year.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Passed through Bozeman. No camo in sight. Skinny jeans, man buns, and skanky lib chicks. Not as bad as Portland.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by horse1

Old regulation. Different this year.

Troubling that this appears to take effect 3/2020
Maybe because the regs were written before the law changed, I recommend people research more or continue to fillet your scrotum.

Looks like sb333, Legislature website provides 3/2020 as effective date.

Section 87-6-406 - [Effective3/1/2020]Failure to retain evidence of sex

(1)
(a) Except as provided in subsection (1)(b) and subject to the provisions of subsection (2), a person who kills a game animal in this state shall retain evidence of the sex of the animal with the carcass until it is processed.

Last edited by KRAKMT; 09/15/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KRAK- yes, that will be the statute in effect next year. And as it states, evidence of sex will need to be retained with the carcass. For this year, and should have been the case in many years previous, the statute in effect only precludes destroying evidence of sex. There's been no statutory requirement to keep it naturally attached.

Copied from this year's regs:

Evidence Required of Game Animal’s
Sex (MCA 87-6-406)
• It is unlawful to destroy evidence of the
sex of a game animal so as to make the
determination of the sex of the game
animal uncertain.
• FWP recommends proof of sex
accompany the carcass from the field to
the point of processing.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Antlers considered proof of male sex for ungulates?

And why 6 or 10 different booklets? Seems dumbish.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/15/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

No. Does in rare instances sometimes have antlers.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

No. Does in rare instances sometimes have antlers.

Specifically in the Montana regulations is my quandary... Licenses are per antlers or not, so I am thinking yes.

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 09/15/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Regular
Online Mad
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the good wishes and advice. I brought a 60 quart cooler and will follow the recommendations. I hope to get something worthy of a photo!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Well, we rode around all day, south of Harlowton and Ryegate, down to Big Timber, went up to friend’s cabin above Livingston south of 90 and broke down just east of Livingston on the trip back. “Got” to pull the driveshaft on his 98 pickup and take a ride ten feet behind an older Chevy that pulled us down 90 to friend’s parent’s place at Big Timber, where we borrowed dad’s car and got back to Harlowton. All sorts of fun. Saw a LOT of antelope, mulies, and empty space. Spectacular country. Several fresh elk rubs near the cabin above Livingston. Will be taking him up on that offer to hunt out here, without a doubt. Frigging game is everywhere out here, and the space and quiet is unbelievable.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

190 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,713 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.