Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
There are bodies of water here in Connecticut that have high amounts of lead, mercury, pcb with restrictions based on risk group.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have read reports of canned fish found in sunken ships from the 1700's and early 1800's were loaded with mercury. Its always been there. Just one of those things. I have eaten fish all my life and I don't glow. I am a feisty 73 and still going strong.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BlueDuck
I have read reports of canned fish found in sunken ships from the 1700's and early 1800's were loaded with mercury. Its always been there. Just one of those things. I have eaten fish all my life and I don't glow. I am a feisty 73 and still going strong.

I remember reading about some expedition to the frozen north that failed to make it. Graves were discovered with the bodies having expressions of agony. It was determined that the lids of the canned food had been sealed with lead, which poisoned the crew.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

My cousin was a hospital admin - and once sent me a study on metals and the body.

At the end of the day it says that once a metal reaches a level in the body it triggers an illness.... so all those recommendations on how many fish you can eat are based at not hitting that line.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I think Oldman3 makes a good point on testing the whole fish. I had 2 generations of family literally living lakefront on Clearlake Calif. Avid fishermen and fish eaters. Particularly crappie. Clearlake is one of the highest mercury hotspots in the west. Mercury mines and dormant volcano on the eastern shore. Anyway, I attended many of their funerals, most of them lived into their 80's and I think almost without exception, breading, shortening, and tobacco killed them. Yeah, I know, anecdotal evidence is no evidence.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I think Oldman3 makes a good point on testing the whole fish. I had 2 generations of family literally living lakefront on Clearlake Calif. Avid fishermen and fish eaters. Particularly crappie. Clearlake is one of the highest mercury hotspots in the west. Mercury mines and dormant volcano on the eastern shore. Anyway, I attended many of their funerals, most of them lived into their 80's and I think almost without exception, breading, shortening, and tobacco killed them. Yeah, I know, anecdotal evidence is no evidence.

If they're still testing fish (or whatever edible stuff) that way it would actually be a worthwhile doctoral dissertation for some student to validate the differences and come up with a more accurate way to measure it.

Certainly a lot better dissertation than one about my farts suppression females. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't catch and eat enough fish to worry about mercury.

What bothers me is the elevated e coli levels in the local waterways. Caused by homeless encampments s hitting in the water.

Saw an interview of some government official being asked why they don't install portable bathrooms for the homeless. The guy said, "they just tear them up." Great. So you're just gonna let them ruin the waterways?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
5sDad—your talking about the Franklin Expedition-it has since been found those guys didn’t die of lead poisoning.
Those expressions on their faces were pretty normal for a face that had been freeze-dried for 140 years

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I think Mercury infish is a contributing factor for Stick

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My Dad is a commercial fisherman, fishing the waters I was talking about on the upper Ouachita River. He's been eating those fish all his life and lots of them..... he's still fishing and if the Good Lord is willing, he'll be 93 next month.

Yeah, those fish are bad for you! (Where's the sarcasm thingy?)

Oh, another tidbit..... The gov. cried and wailed about the fish being bad from the mercury that leaked from the old oilfield meters.... Then they found some ponds that had never been flooded by high water and the mercury levels were above normal in them. That stumped them...... they finally admitted that mercury is naturally occurring on our part of the country, but wont lift the fish warning or let the commercial fishermen fish in the woods.

Last edited by Oldman3; 09/16/19.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kkahmann
5sDad—your talking about the Franklin Expedition-it has since been found those guys didn’t die of lead poisoning.
Those expressions on their faces were pretty normal for a face that had been freeze-dried for 140 years

Thanks for the information.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Well, I asked the doctor, "How in hell did I get lead poisoning?" He said, hard to tell there are a lot of toxins out there.
I have cast a lot of lead balls for muzzleloaders so I got some lead there. But the main culprit, I went to Mexico in 1975 and brought back some black and red glazed pottery. And I used it to eat from, and to drink margueritas from, for several years.
And I bought a test kit, and tested that Mexican drinking cup, and it was loaded up with lead.

On the mercury I just don't know, but my mom used to spray my bedroom at night with Raid, just before I went to bed, and back in the fifties there was mercury in Raid.

There are a lot of toxins out there and it is a crap shoot as to whether they make you sick or not.

Did she have a big life policy on you?

What did you take to get rid of the lead and Hg?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chelation with leeches

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
Originally Posted by slumlord
We give a lot of the fish to the porch monkeys swimming at the boat ramp.

we can be heroes...for just one day.

You are so full of s c hitt!

Everyone knows they dont swim.....

He meant splash. Splash and piss, even in swimming pools. wink

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
Chelation with leeches

It's not mainly in blood iirc.

I think it binds with brain tissue, especially in folks from Tennessee.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

It would be interesting to know the Hg concentrations in the fat and bloodline of big blue cats vs the meat.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Could be, I have a explosive personality disorder.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
But a good one, Slum, and prolly due to too much catfish. wink

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/16/19.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had one of them mercury/amalgam fillings come out of my tooth last week & had it replaced with a composite filling.

Don't feel any damn different.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell everyone around here knows damn good n well you don't eat any catfish over 4-5 lbs.

All that gray and dark down in the deep meat. sick

Tn regs only allow one daily catfish =/> than 34" limit.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,580 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,570
Posts18,473,264
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.