Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Not hardly for everyone but I kind of grew up listening to the Cars and always could dig their unique sound. Not to mention reminding me of FTARH and Phoebe Cates every time I hear MIS... "Hi, Brad..." wink

I have a couple funny memories from childhood with a dozen fellow madmen raging on the grounds of the estate where his mansion was at Sergeant's near Boston's Jamaica pond in the early to mid-80s. Not for nothing but he never was the one who called the Blue Monkeys to come chase us around and whatnot...

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They were from your area. Great band. RIP Ric. Benjamin Orr is sorely missed also.

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
They were from your area. Great band. RIP Ric. Benjamin Orr is sorely missed also.

That is correct. Band was out of Boston. His estate I referred to was maybe 3 miles from my childhood home. Agree on Orr, too. Their sound was unique and absolutely unmistakeable.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
RIP Ric I really enjoyed their music as a kid and still do; distinctive sound!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
RIP

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ahhh...

Poor Paulina, grieving widow.

Some one should comfort her...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m surprised he was as old as he was already, turns out he was older before he hit the big time.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
I’m surprised he was as old as he was already, turns out he was older before he hit the big time.

I'm surprised that I'm as old as I am already. Still got one good shoulder for Paulina...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The first two albums were great.

A brand new sound.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Loved the Cars.

LOL
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by johnw
Ahhh...

Poor Paulina, grieving widow.

Some one should comfort her...

They been separated for awhile now

Last edited by killerv; 09/16/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snagging a SI Swimsuit super model with his ugle mug gave all us ordinary guys hope to do the same... smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I thought they were from Ohio....

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,loved the Cars music!

R.I.P Ric.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 09/16/19.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
My all-time favorite band.

IMO, their best song....takes me back to college and a cross-state girlfriend.

Thanks Ric and Benjamin

RIP fellas’

Last edited by kroo88; 09/16/19.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Damn, Orr could really sing.

Great band.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
After I got out of the service, I was living in a house in North Seattle with 5 others guys... Huge house...

one of the roommates, Dave.. worked at an all night Chinese Restaurant in Downtown Seattle as a Cook...12 hour shift.

He'd get home at 7:30 AM, go up to his room with a 6 Pack of Rainier Beer, and wake up the rest of the house still home
with the Car's Album Candy-O, until someone banged on his door for him to put his headphones on....

when he finished the 6 pack, he'd go to bed...

kinda fit his looks also....He looked exactly like what would have been John Belushi's younger brother from Animal House..
his name around the house was "Bluto"....

Here's once again, some one the younger years for each of our lives, passing away...
That makes me feel older than my age makes me feel...

Eddie Money also is gone now...met him once here in Oregon...
We had Scouts in the troop, that their parents and grandparents, grew up like a few doors down from him in Calif.
He use to hang out at their house all the time in his youth, because it was better than his home life evidently.
He was very generous according to Fran ( the Grandma) when he achieved fame and fortune...

One of the first things he did, was pay off the remaining balance on Fran and her husband's home, the place he hung out
as a kid...

Why can't we be reading about Hillary, Pelosi and a host of other useless democRATS passing away instead??

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another one bites the dust.

75 used to seem so OLD,

now it seems awfully close.

KG, thanks for posting the videos, especially the first one!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Seafire
After I got out of the service, I was living in a house in North Seattle with 5 others guys... Huge house...

one of the roommates, Dave.. worked at an all night Chinese Restaurant in Downtown Seattle as a Cook...12 hour shift.

He'd get home at 7:30 AM, go up to his room with a 6 Pack of Rainier Beer, and wake up the rest of the house still home
with the Car's Album Candy-O, until someone banged on his door for him to put his headphones on....

when he finished the 6 pack, he'd go to bed...

kinda fit his looks also....He looked exactly like what would have been John Belushi's younger brother from Animal House..
his name around the house was "Bluto"....

Here's once again, some one the younger years for each of our lives, passing away...
That makes me feel older than my age makes me feel...

Eddie Money also is gone now...met him once here in Oregon...
We had Scouts in the troop, that their parents and grandparents, grew up like a few doors down from him in Calif.
He use to hang out at their house all the time in his youth, because it was better than his home life evidently.
He was very generous according to Fran ( the Grandma) when he achieved fame and fortune...

One of the first things he did, was pay off the remaining balance on Fran and her husband's home, the place he hung out
as a kid...

Why can't we be reading about Hillary, Pelosi and a host of other useless democRATS passing away instead??
I saw Eddie Money twice, and the second time he stayed way late, signing autographs. The last one in line was my wife and I was taking their pic. I said, "we love you Money-Man,". Eddie said, "You guys are the best." All I know is what I see, but I think the Money Man was a great guy.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HawkI
I thought they were from Ohio....
I don't know where they were from, but I was looking for the title of the CD I've got of theirs (greatest hits type compilation) that I have no idea the location of and I looked at their wicki article. I knew they were from Boston when they hit it big simply from a YouTube of an old live performance where they were introduced by somebody as from "the Back Bay of Boston". IIRC Orr and Okasek were based in Ohio before they moved to Boston where they hit it big. IMO they were one of the greatest if not THE greatest New Wave band. Just a ton of hits. I think Orr would have been 71 this year had he lived this long. It was weird because Okasek always seemed more famous than Orr even though Orr was the lead singer on most of their songs, IIRC.

Drive is the best song ever about loved ones dealing with somebody's mental illness.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 3,074 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,382
Posts18,469,572
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.