Print Thread
Hop To
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
It is getting hard to find Green Mountain Barrels for the 50 cal. Hawkens for a patched round ball. I heard of Rice Barrels but are there any others for an option. Track Of The Wolf is out of the 50. 1/66 twist so I am looking elsewhere if they can't get them soon.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
You have a Few options, The Oregon Barrel Co.
http://www.thegunworks.com/custprod...t2ID=69&do=list&Cat1Name=Barrels

Of course Rice Barrels, I feel they are about as good as it gets, and they will Build a Drop in. I have a .45 Cal .450 Bore Rice Drop in that will LITERALLY Drive Tacks, one of the most Accurate Muzzleloaders i have EVER Shot, My Rice, and GM LRH .50 Cal are 2 of the TOP DOGS in my Safe 👍 And My Safe is FULL of Muzzleloaders, so that’s saying quite a bit.

You could Buy a Green Mountain Roundball Barrel, and a Breech Plug From Rice, Then have it put together. Green Mountain stil sells the Barrels, Just not Finished (Drop ins) anymore. And they Don’t have Breech Plugs. Rice Hooked Breech Plugs Are Machined instead of Cast, and therefore they Cost more (i think 75 bucks for a Breechplug?)

I’m not sure if Colerain will Build a Drop in Barrel?

I understand that Bobby Hoyt will Build ANYTHING you want? I know he Does Re Bores, and will Twist to whatever your heart desires (he just did a 40 Cal for me) I didn’t ask him about building a new Barrel? But i have been told that he Will

That gives you some Ideas

Last edited by Idaholewis; 09/14/19.

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks Idaho. That is a good lead. If you say Green Mountains are that good, then maybe I should see what kind of back order they have. If it's a long time I will go with the others. One of the reasons I want a new barrel , is , , just cause. Nothing wrong with my TC barrel, but it does not shoot very good with real black powder. It shoot better with Alliance Black but that is getting hard to find. Everything around here is hit or miss for black powder and subs. I can get Old Eyensford and Goex. Goex shoots better than Old Eyensford but that is not saying much. About 4" @ 50 yds is a good group with real black . Noone here sells Swiss. When I get the new barrel I am sure it will shoot better cause its a better barrel and made just for round balls and that is what TC should have done in the first place or make one barrel for roundball and one for conicals. With shooters being absolute fanatics about accuracy, I dont know why they compromised . Sure , some shoot both very well , some shoot one very well and some dont shoot either very well. Not the way to go. AN extra barrel might have been an extra 100 bucks?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last I heard, Green Mountain quit making T/C drop-ins about 10 years ago. I bought a few as the supply dried up, contacted them and was told they would never make them again. Seems they got a military contract and the profit was much higher on whatever they were making for DoD vs the drop-ins. I wish they would make them, I have 4 in different flavors, and 3 of them are very accurate.

I had a barrel made by Oregon Barrel about 5 years ago. They do build a nice barrel. Mine is .54, .012" on the grooves, 1-60" twist, it is a shooter.

Just something to be aware of with their barrels. The exterior on mine was pretty rough. I spent a lot of time polishing the exterior before having it blued. They dont put ANY markings on it, make, cal, twist, anything. The breech plug must have been a cast item, cause it came out a slightly different color than the barrel did when I had it blued. No cleanout plug on the snail. But a good shooting barrel it is. Load development was easy.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The T/C custom shop did turn out Hawkens and Renegades with PRB twist. You can find them online occasionally.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Green Mountain T/C drop in Barrel with the 1/66 twist. I bought it because with T/C .50 1/48 twist barrel using a 90 grains of 3F powder and T/C maxi-ball I never shot through a deer...not sure why? The round ball barrel cured that.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
The T/C custom shop did turn out Hawkens and Renegades with PRB twist. You can find them online occasionally.

They sure did 👍 They say it on the Barrel in a “Banner/Ribbon” Type thing. I have seen a few of them pop up for sale. I stil believe I would prefer a Green Mountain 32” Roundball Barrel Though, BUT I can’t knock the TC Round Ball Twist Barrels, i have no hand on experience with them, They might be Great? But I think you will have a Hard time finding one, and they likely Bring a Mint since they are TC and No longer made, Considered a Collectors item. Another reason i would look at other options. But, if you were to come across one of these Stock TC Roundball Twist Barrels at a Reasonable price, i would grab it

Stock TC Roundball Twist Barrel 1:66, Not a very good pic, But should do
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I found a GM PBR barrel, in 54 cal, on eBay and picked it up. All I shoot is 54 cal PRB using Goex ffg with a bore button. I've been using the factory 28" 1:48 twist for a long time with good results, but always wanted a 1:66 or slower.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I just ordered a Green Mountain Barrel at Track Of The Wolf. It is 50 cal. 1/66" twist , 32" long, comes with the plug , sights and ramrod for $283 with shipping. I think that is a sea if anyone is interested. The guy said Green Mountain stopped making them for a while but are still in production. When I asked, he said, yes, Green Mountain is a better barrel than the TC Hawken I have. It should be here Wednesday.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

212 members (160user, 1eyedmule, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 19 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.