Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Lennie Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/16/us/minneapolis-robberies-police-shortage/index.html

(CNN)A series of brutal assaults in downtown Minneapolis is highlighting the city's skyrocketing robbery rate amid a critical shortage of police officers.
More than 6,000 "priority one" 911 calls, which include sexual assault, shootings and robberies, were made in the period of a year for which police didn't have an officer immediately able to respond, Minneapolis police spokesman John Elder said in an email to CNN.
"Those calls did not get immediately dispatch police resources because we did not have staff available to respond," Elder said.
Robbery is up almost 54% in downtown Minneapolis from last year, police said.

Police have several videos of the recent rash of vicious attacks. In one them obtained by CNN, a group of suspects is seen on surveillance videos repeatedly punching and kicking a man in a daytime attack outside Target Field. At various points in the video, they run and jump on him, they ride over him with a bicycle, take off his shoes and pants, beat him with a belt and throw what appears to be potted plants at him.
In another surveillance video, the suspects start grabbing a man and repeatedly punching him and kicking him as he tries to fight back. The group leaves him, apparently unconscious, on the ground.
One person has been charged in both crimes so far, the Hennepin County Attorney's office said in a release Monday.
After 23 robberies in a single week in August, police conducted a three-day sweep in downtown which led to 16 arrests, Elder said Monday.
The city's population has grown by almost 50,000 people since 2010, while the number of officers has "remained stagnant," Mayor Jacob Frey said in his 2020 budget address that proposed adding 14 officers.
"(T)his past decade, they have been responsible for doing more with less," the mayor said in the address.
Police Chief Medaria Arradondo had called for adding 400 officers by 2025, CNN affiliate WCCO reported, but the mayor reportedly said it's not doable because of the budget.
The pool of applicants is also smaller than it used to be, said Bob Kroll, president of the Minnesota Police Officers Union, who estimates applicants are about one-fifth the number they were around 30 years ago.
"We're gonna get smaller, before we get any bigger," Kroll said.
There's still plenty of people that "want to be Minneapolis cops," but the decrease "certainly" plays into the recent robbery events, Elder told CNN.
The 16 suspects were arrested in connection to multiple robberies that occurred within blocks of each other over a four-week period, according Elder.
Robbery numbers were "down to three" the week following the police sweep, according to Elder.

The suspects were looking for an easy target, such as someone who was intoxicated and alone, looking at their cellphone at times, police said.
The suspects arrested are between the ages of 13 and 25, and mainly male, though "sometimes a female is in the group," according to charging documents.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Seems to me that the description of the criminals is "incomplete"!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They don't need more cops. They need citizens armed and ready to defend themselves against jungle rats.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap

Yeah, evidently the article was cut off, right before it mentioned that the 'suspects' were Black... either Afro American, or Somali.

and yeah, I would like to read where some one who wasn't one of the million snowflakes in the Twin Cities, pulled out a 45 ACP or 40 S&W and wasted about 10 or more of them and took off, and that the police had no way to identify him....or her...

If the public starting fighting back on this crap in Minneapolis and St Paul, the spineless crooks committing crimes like this would drop like a brick....

When its multiple "youths", beating on someone... I can guarantee ya they are minorities of some sort....usually black...
you intimidate the little punks, they will take off like a flock of geese....

There are a lot of good black folks around the Twin Cities also.... they are just not the ones out committing crimes..
because they have jobs and are responsible members of society...

its the ones that are only a drain on society, that are committing this crap.....read that as welfare rats... and MN is a welfare Disneyland, especially if you are ANY type of minority, and as long as you are not white and male...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It is not sexist to mention gender. It's doesn't show age bias to mention age. It is racist to mention race.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looks like Minneapoli Mayor Frey is a demorat - makes sense to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Seafire

Yeah, evidently the article was cut off, right before it mentioned that the 'suspects' were Black... either Afro American, or Somali . . .

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigns; protesters shout down Mayor Betsy Hodges

Hodges 'lost confidence’ in Harteau and pushed for her ouster.

By Libor Jany, Andy Mannix and Eric Roper Star Tribune JULY 22, 2017 — 12:23PM

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigned abruptly Friday amid growing criticism from the public and the City Council following the fatal police shooting of Justine Damond.

The chief’s departure came at the request of Mayor Betsy Hodges, who promptly nominated Assistant Chief Medaria Arradondo, a 28-year veteran of the force, to replace Harteau. The move ended Harteau’s 4½-year run as the first woman and first openly gay person to head the department.

The death of Damond, a native Australian who had moved to Minneapolis to be with her fiancé, thrust Minneapolis into the international spotlight. It also has generated public skepticism about the department and its training, including from city officials who have questioned why the officers involved didn’t turn on their body cameras.

Hodges, who was frequently at odds with Harteau, issued a statement immediately after the resignation, saying she has “lost confidence in the Chief’s ability to lead us further.”

“And from the many conversations I’ve had with people around our city, especially this week, it is clear that she has lost the confidence of the people of Minneapolis as well,” Hodges said. “For us to continue to transform policing — and community trust in policing — we need new leadership at MPD,” she continued. “...I asked Chief Harteau for her resignation, she tendered it, and I have accepted it.”

Hodges was forced to delay an 8 p.m. news conference at City Hall when protesters disrupted the event. The protesters came from the ranks of a larger crowd of about 200 people who had rallied at Loring Park at 6 p.m., then marched downtown, blocking streets and delaying traffic. After the protesters shouted the mayor down, demanding her resignation, they left and she was able to resume speaking to journalists. She said she has no intention of resigning.

Hodges praised Arradondo, who served as the department’s face over the past week while Harteau was out of the state taking time off. “The experience of working closely with him over the past week, which has been so hard on everyone in Minneapolis, has solidified my confidence,” the mayor said.

For her part, Harteau said in a statement that Damond’s death has caused her to “engage in deep reflection.”

“The recent incidents do not reflect the training and procedures we developed as a department,” she said. “Despite the MPD’s many accomplishments under my leadership over these years and my love for the City, I have to put the communities we serve first.”

Harteau joined the department in 1987, working patrol for the first nine years of her career, doing some undercover narcotics work and serving as a part-time negotiator. She made sergeant in 1998 and lieutenant in 2004, before being named a deputy chief. In 2012, then-Mayor R.T. Rybak picked her for the top job when Chief Tim Dolan retired, and she won the approval of the City Council. At the time, Rybak called her “a smart cop, a savvy administrator and a natural leader” and said she would make an exceptional chief.

But Harteau has publicly fought with city and state officials many times since then. In October 2013, she pushed back against a body camera proposal supported by Hodges and other council members, a month before Hodges was elected mayor.

Gov. Mark Dayton criticized Harteau in 2013 for publicly announcing, before notifying his office, plans to use the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to conduct investigations of police officers who seriously hurt or kill people while on duty. More recently, in April, Hodges vetoed Harteau’s choice for the department’s new Fourth Precinct inspector, and their argumentative text exchange about it ended up becoming public.

Harteau was also chief during several contentious events, including the police shooting of Jamar Clark, an unarmed black man, in north Minneapolis in 2015.

In a news conference 24 hours before resigning, Harteau tried to distance the department from the Damond shooting, calling it “one individual’s actions” and not representative of the force. She said the officers should have been recording with body cameras and that Damond “didn’t have to die.” But she was criticized for being out of the state and not returning until four days after the shooting. Harteau said Thursday she was backpacking out West and getting regular updates on the case.

At midday Friday, Hodges told a City Council member that she had the votes on the executive committee to fire Harteau, and planned to do so if Harteau didn’t resign, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the conversation.

At a council meeting earlier in the day, Council Member Linea Palmisano, who represents the ward where Damond lived, called for a change in leadership to address a systemic problem with police. Several council members said during the meeting and in subsequent interviews that they would like to oust Harteau or amend the city charter to give the council oversight of the department.

Reached after the resignation, Palmisano thanked Harteau for her years of service but said she looks forward to new leadership. “I called for a leadership change,” she said. “And I thank Mayor Hodges for responding. I thank my colleagues for their support in doing that.”

[Linked Image from stmedia.stimg.co]
Minneapolis Police Chief Harteau resigns - Star Tribune / Jul 21, 2017
Protesters interrupted Mayor Betsy Hodges' news conference at City Hall. Earlier, Hodges said she would name Assistant Chief Medaria Arradondo to replace Harteau, asked by Hodges to step down after Justine Damond's shooting death.

JULY 21, 2017 — 10:55PM - Assistant Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo is Mayor Betsy Hodges' nominee to be the next chief.

Last edited by OrangeOkie; 09/17/19.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sounds like a liberal paradise.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The chief wants 400 more cops - and the city council agrees to 14... Can't make this stuff up. NOBODY goes downtown Murderapolis alone after dark much these days, 'cause the little thugs basically have control of the streets..

Originally Posted by Mike_S
Sounds like a liberal paradise.
Oh, it IS! It IS!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just another Liberal Schithole.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
the city's skyrocketing robbery rate amid a critical shortage of police officers.

That's funny.

...and what do ya think the black community leaders would do/say if the city actually did put on 400 more officers and started to patrol and actually arrest a shcit ton of these poor black youths?

These same clowns that are begging for help, would be protesting in the streets, calling the cops, the mayor and the chief "racist", Minneapolis has become a racist Police State, etc., for keeping these black criminals from exercising their Right to be criminals.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Negroes destroy places.

Fact.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bleeder groid police chief, bleeder mayor. What could POSSIBLY go wrong?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thank Barak Obama.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rainshot
Thank Barak Obama.
wellllll…….yes.....but he had a lot of help!

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Soon to be like Chicago.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

When its multiple "youths", beating on someone... I can guarantee ya they are minorities of some sort....usually black...
you intimidate the little punks, they will take off like a flock of geese....

Apparently you haven't been around in like 30 years. You can intimidate one or two, maybe 3. But they'll be back, with 10 or more "friends", and you'll see another video like this. Now you or I or anyone else reading this would have handled it differently. But, This isn't anything new in St. Paul or Mlps. I've seen it almost everyday in the 10 years I've lived near it. I live 25 miles away but do have to work in that [bleep] on a weekly basis.

The people have changed. Life is no longer a value to most of them, as can be seen in the new and videos. It's a shame really.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Yeah, evidently the article was cut off, right before it mentioned that the 'suspects' were Black... either Afro American, or Somali . . .

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigns; protesters shout down Mayor Betsy Hodges

Hodges 'lost confidence’ in Harteau and pushed for her ouster.

By Libor Jany, Andy Mannix and Eric Roper Star Tribune JULY 22, 2017 — 12:23PM

Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau resigned abruptly Friday amid growing criticism from the public and the City Council following the fatal police shooting of Justine Damond.

The chief’s departure came at the request of Mayor Betsy Hodges, who promptly nominated Assistant Chief Medaria Arradondo, a 28-year veteran of the force, to replace Harteau. The move ended Harteau’s 4½-year run as the first woman and first openly gay person to head the department.

The death of Damond, a native Australian who had moved to Minneapolis to be with her fiancé, thrust Minneapolis into the international spotlight. It also has generated public skepticism about the department and its training, including from city officials who have questioned why the officers involved didn’t turn on their body cameras.

Hodges, who was frequently at odds with Harteau, issued a statement immediately after the resignation, saying she has “lost confidence in the Chief’s ability to lead us further.”

“And from the many conversations I’ve had with people around our city, especially this week, it is clear that she has lost the confidence of the people of Minneapolis as well,” Hodges said. “For us to continue to transform policing — and community trust in policing — we need new leadership at MPD,” she continued. “...I asked Chief Harteau for her resignation, she tendered it, and I have accepted it.”

Hodges was forced to delay an 8 p.m. news conference at City Hall when protesters disrupted the event. The protesters came from the ranks of a larger crowd of about 200 people who had rallied at Loring Park at 6 p.m., then marched downtown, blocking streets and delaying traffic. After the protesters shouted the mayor down, demanding her resignation, they left and she was able to resume speaking to journalists. She said she has no intention of resigning.

Hodges praised Arradondo, who served as the department’s face over the past week while Harteau was out of the state taking time off. “The experience of working closely with him over the past week, which has been so hard on everyone in Minneapolis, has solidified my confidence,” the mayor said.

For her part, Harteau said in a statement that Damond’s death has caused her to “engage in deep reflection.”

“The recent incidents do not reflect the training and procedures we developed as a department,” she said. “Despite the MPD’s many accomplishments under my leadership over these years and my love for the City, I have to put the communities we serve first.”

Harteau joined the department in 1987, working patrol for the first nine years of her career, doing some undercover narcotics work and serving as a part-time negotiator. She made sergeant in 1998 and lieutenant in 2004, before being named a deputy chief. In 2012, then-Mayor R.T. Rybak picked her for the top job when Chief Tim Dolan retired, and she won the approval of the City Council. At the time, Rybak called her “a smart cop, a savvy administrator and a natural leader” and said she would make an exceptional chief.

But Harteau has publicly fought with city and state officials many times since then. In October 2013, she pushed back against a body camera proposal supported by Hodges and other council members, a month before Hodges was elected mayor.

Gov. Mark Dayton criticized Harteau in 2013 for publicly announcing, before notifying his office, plans to use the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to conduct investigations of police officers who seriously hurt or kill people while on duty. More recently, in April, Hodges vetoed Harteau’s choice for the department’s new Fourth Precinct inspector, and their argumentative text exchange about it ended up becoming public.

Harteau was also chief during several contentious events, including the police shooting of Jamar Clark, an unarmed black man, in north Minneapolis in 2015.

In a news conference 24 hours before resigning, Harteau tried to distance the department from the Damond shooting, calling it “one individual’s actions” and not representative of the force. She said the officers should have been recording with body cameras and that Damond “didn’t have to die.” But she was criticized for being out of the state and not returning until four days after the shooting. Harteau said Thursday she was backpacking out West and getting regular updates on the case.

At midday Friday, Hodges told a City Council member that she had the votes on the executive committee to fire Harteau, and planned to do so if Harteau didn’t resign, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the conversation.

At a council meeting earlier in the day, Council Member Linea Palmisano, who represents the ward where Damond lived, called for a change in leadership to address a systemic problem with police. Several council members said during the meeting and in subsequent interviews that they would like to oust Harteau or amend the city charter to give the council oversight of the department.

Reached after the resignation, Palmisano thanked Harteau for her years of service but said she looks forward to new leadership. “I called for a leadership change,” she said. “And I thank Mayor Hodges for responding. I thank my colleagues for their support in doing that.”

Minneapolis Police Chief Harteau resigns - Star Tribune / Jul 21, 2017
Protesters interrupted Mayor Betsy Hodges' news conference at City Hall. Earlier, Hodges said she would name Assistant Chief Medaria Arradondo to replace Harteau, asked by Hodges to step down after Justine Damond's shooting death.

JULY 21, 2017 — 10:55PM - Assistant Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo is Mayor Betsy Hodges' nominee to be the next chief.

Well...that was from 2 years ago. But the new mayor appears to be much the same.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
The chief wants 400 more cops - and the city council agrees to 14... Can't make this stuff up. NOBODY goes downtown Murderapolis alone after dark much these days, 'cause the little thugs basically have control of the streets..

This is correct. I used to have to work overnights and weekend overnight for maintenance. From 3am to 6am these clowns run rampant doing whatever they please with no hassle at all from police. It's a joke. They can hire 600 more officers and it won't matter because they're not allowed to do anything.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Dang. I thought Minneapolis was a Democrat paradise.

Retired cat herder.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6 invisible), 1,406 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,510
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.